Delete text ONLY from multiple selection of elements

Related products: Navigation Shortcuts / Controls

Whether anyone had struggles while clearing text inside elements (e.g. sticky notes), with the upfront fear that there are more than 10-15-20-25 elements waiting in the line requiring the same process to repeat again and again?

To delete text from the element:

1. Double-click element text
  2. Double-click element text
  3. Remove text
  4. Next element

or maybe for better oriented people:

1. Double-click element
  2. ctrl+A
  3. Remove text
  4. Next element

What if ONLY text could be deleted from multiple selection of elements? Why not just select multiple elements, and select option to clear text only? Maybe even some shortcut to that? This could help people to reduce “continuous mechanical work” by repeating the same process dozens of time.

The only alternative to overcome “Delete & retype” is to use template (save, load), but again, nobody wants to create that so many templates just because they want to clear the text from multiple selection of elements.

I checked every Miro shortcuts & hotkeys, and there's no way to do it.

Not really sure if anyone saw the problem in this, but I'm sure many of you would like the shortcut.
Looking forward to discuss about this!

Agreed, I was looking for a shortcut for this and it would be a massive time save

I am a trainer and this would be really handy

+1

Something like a “Clear contents” shortcut or option from the menu would be great.

Use case:

• Formatting, structure, number of items is correct.
  • Need to create a template or copy and paste to start a new version.
  • Copy everything but clear the contents.

Agreed! It would be awesome to do this. Big time saver.

+1! I make a lot of very dense flow charts that I need to re-purpose and deleting the text in each element by hand is very slow and frustrating. It would be great to have a ‘Clear text’ or similar on the drop down when selecting an appropriate group.

Right now the thing that feels fastest is multi-selecting each set of matching-color objects and bulk-changing the text color to be the same as the fill color so the objects *look* blank. Then when I come to edit the actual copy on each block I turn it back to black/visible. Even that is pretty slow, and obviously pretty silly. 

100%… also really useful for creating instances from templates and templates from instances.

yes! a `clear all text` option would be helpful when building out template after learning from an activity!

I also endorse this. It helps a lot with creating templates.

This would help out a lot in my opinion! Working on a column of notes and thinking you’ll only need one, but then realize you’re gonna need another column but you want to maintain spacing of original one, it’d be cool to paste with the text and then clear contents.

Yes!  Please offer this feature.  It would save me so much time.  I don’t want to save every one of my frames as a template.  I just want to re-use them when needed for a new group.

Thank you

+1

+1

Yes, desperately needed ;-)

Oh my gosh, using ‘clear text’ from multiple objects to eg turn a ‘proof of concept’ workshop board into a ‘working template’… gold.
The process right now is a pain in the bum. Please oh please, this.

Agreed!

I have used many diagramming tools and am getting into using Miro more. This is one of the first roadblocks I see to adapting its use more often. It feels like an older Visio in some aspect.

I am using Miro templates, tweaking them as I complete content. But then I don’t want to get too far and have to gut all content when creating a clean personal template!

I came from google search, thinking this was a tutorial on how to do it xD

I definitely support this initiative. Creating templates would be a breeze with his option.

I'm a trainer, so this would be quite helpful.

+1 - seems like it would be very useful in many settings.

I recently launched a new plugin for Miro called Super Search that allows you to filter items and search and replace text. I came up with a way that you can use it to clear text from sticky notes in bulk. It will take a few steps, but I’ve written them up below and also included a GIF.

The steps are:

1. Select all of the sticky notes you want to clear.
  2. Add a new tag to these sticky notes.
  3. Open the Super Search plugin and filter for all items that match your new tag.
  4. Turn on the “Use regular expressions” search option. Regular expressions are special patterns that tell your computer to match specific types of text. In this case, we will use the pattern   .*  , which just means “match anything”.
  5. Leave the “Replace with” section empty.

6. Press “Replace all”.  Super Search will find all the items that match the tag you selected, and replace all of the text with a blank

It’s a few steps, but it may be worth it if it’s something you do often or need to do it for a lot of stickies. You can also filter by background color or creator of the items as well. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Hope this helps!

The gif didn’t embed properly 😞 . You can view it here: https://imgur.com/a/gkWFAAk

Here are the key screenshots in case there are more problems with the gif:

+1

+1

@Vedran - thanks for the handy tip! :) 

It would be great to have a built-in functionality, but your clever tip will definitely help :) 

While this is still not supported, I found a slightly faster way of doing this sticky by sticky:

1. triple click on a sticky which has some text
  2. hit Delete or Backspace
  3. rinse and repeat

Found my way here to say the same thing, “please add feature to clear all stickies in a few clicks”.

Seeing this thread over three years also makes me want to ask, “why is there no response from Miro on this?” It would be nice to feel as though someone had clocked the request and was working on it - or had a clear reason why it couldn’t be done.