Add custom typeface/font

Related products: Fonts & Text editing

Is there a way to add google typeface or custom typeface to use on Miro board?

​​​​​And being able to use icon fonts would be immensely valuable to display symbols, enhance wireframes, etc.

does it have custom font yet or still no?

not having custom fonts takes away many specific uses

i assume it still doesnt so going to look for something else that does

Also if i may add, in other languages (we use hebrew) the ability to add google font wiil upgrade the program look, at this moment all the fonts in hebrew are Arial.. :/

hope to hear good news soon about this feature :))

Hey Seul, :v_tone1:

Quite a frequent question! I’m afraid we don’t have the functionality to upload custom fonts in Miro yet :pensive:  

Would you describe your use case in more detail? 

PLEASE PLEASE! Waiting for this feature ever since I got the company account . i use Miro for designing custom made design sprint formats - trigger cards - flyers - etc. we don't need illustrator anymore. if you're Miro-handy and a good designer - you can make low key design assignments in Miro. 

The ONE THING missing is the custom fonts. clients want to see their own font in marketing or branded material. so… please… add this feature? 

+20 Miro has so many capabilities beyond whiteboarding. A must have for any design board. No questions asked and no debate. Need 1 of 4 options.

• Upload otf or ttf file and have available as a custom font
  • Ability to use google font
  • Ability to use Adobe Typefont
  • System font since in cloud probably not an option (Adobe Typefont licensing if collaboration is possible requiring user to have their own license)

I could not agree more.

I use it lot for presentation for my clients and most of the prescribe the use of company brand fonts. Zo I have to go back to nasty MS or other tools to do the job. So please...

100%… Any update on this?

As one of the things that I use Miro for is to collect assets, information, reference and do planning for type and font design, I feel you pain in special and sharp ways. :pensive:

Going over the notes here (found because I also desired this) there are a few good points made, some vague ones and a few that can be elaborated on.

• This should be very doable from a technical perspective. Digging through the web version, a lot of the formatting is done using static CSS, although very like hundreds overrides in the JS and react/electron frameworks.
  • If you use the web version, you can already load a local stylesheet but I haven't yet tried this, Although the app is a chrome based web view, the way it is wrapped for the app platform… nah.
  • As noted, licensing is a nightmare. It is the bastard child of a shit show and it intent on becoming an arsonist and charging you for starting those fires. As Miro is an App and web based site with a considerable  user base, it would have ‘foundries’ and licensing lawyers rubbing their sweaty palms. Many have now been bought buy private equity companies and they dot buy things like that unless they can smell blood.

But there are solutions…

• As noted there is Google Fonts. It’s not quite so cut and dry as people may think but a little care and attention could yield a good result. Not all fonts on. Google are free, some are samples and will have commercial restrictions. 
  • There is now a significant selection of extensive, high quality typefaces available. By extensive I mean with glyph support for languages, weights etc and all are optimised for web. The prime selection also represent a good set of ‘analogs’. It’s not the one you want but it looks close. Perhaps close enough for internal use if attempting to match brand assets. (Primary rand assets can always be images based anyway).
  • That selection is also either SIL or OFL licensed. The difference is arcane as SIL was focused more on bundling or embedding the fonts but they are an Open Font Licence. Do what you will except small print might reserve the name, Anything else is allowed.

Using Them

• The font could be added locally and either stay there or be a added to Miro’s CDN for that account groups access. It could easily be rationalised as well so they don’t stack duplicates. Of course it would be mirrored locally for offline access.
  • They could just create a better selection based on OFL fonts (personally. I hate what is available but is opinion and my aesthetics). This selection should be compact and curated. Good analogs and selection for graphic use and legibility.

One more thing…

Miro could have created for them, a good set of fonts and families. If fully variable and built in controls, a small set can be hugely customisable and flexible. (Hell, we have needed a style saving feature for long enough as well, so could preserve, share and reuse those settings internally.)

I am doing this right now but for different domain. I design concept interfaces for films and TV (Mission Impossible, The Island, Children of Men, Westworld etc). We have the same issues with licensing, maybe worse. It used to be that a typeface that is not distributed or burnt in to the image, movie or print was the most basic thing but they are now trying to change it for different types of media use.

So I have decided to created a generic, highly customisable set for interface designers with much simpler licensing. a work in progress.

Hell, I'll even put out my hand up here to make a set for Miro ;)

+1 on this, working with a lot of clients that demand that we use this or that font. Not being able to do that in Miro severely impact our workflow.

Hi it seems like no movement has been made on this?

As far as use case - I oversee strategy for projects with agencies and clients. Included in this is not merely trying to use Miro as a whiteboard or collaboration tool but also as a presentation tool.

I’m a huge advocate for Miro - and have advocated for it countless times at various (big) agencies. But because Miro doesn’t allow custom fonts, we cannot use it as a presentation tool - and because of this Miro remains an outlier - and not a core tool.

For a recent project I even started us in Miro but we had to move to google slides because Miro doesn’t allow us to have the fonts we need to use it as a presentation tool. 

The implications are at least for agencies then that while Miro might be used for white boarding or workshops it will never be leaned on by the org as the central place where everyone works.

It’s really a shame because I do think it would make a great tool for presenting (the last mile often in many of these design tools which is why people often go back to keynote or ppt).

Hopefully this will happen soon. Until then it will be hard for me to get people to use it more.

I’m a bit curious about the licensing part. Canva introduced custom fonts through Brand Kits a while ago. When uploading a font, the user is asked if they have a license for it and you have to confirm you do before it’s uploaded. I have no idea if this makes Canva legally safe, but I’m thinking that they probably would have removed the feature if they’d got into licensing trouble?

No idea but Figma allows for it. And I’ve seen people build interactive presentations in Figma.

Custom fonts would indeed be a great addition to Miro.

Please allow us to upload our Brand Fonts :’(

Dear Miro-Team, it would be such a difference, if you would allow the use of our own Brand fonts or the fonts of our client’s brands. Pleeeeeaaaseeee 😁🤙

I’m really unclear why Miro won’t add custom fonts. We use Miro for workshops with fairly large brands and have tried to use it to deliver presentations.

But without custom fonts we can’t. Because of this we very quickly often have to switch out of Miro and into either keynote or .ppt which wastes tons of time - and also means work is being done in multiple places.

It also means Miro adoption is often lower because of this. And it’s hard to sometimes justify licenses for teams when we can’t use it to present to clients.

The use case for this should at this point be fairly obvious - I know many people at many agencies for which this is a hurdle - and it means Miro while great as a collaboration tool often isn’t the tool we rely on to deliver final work to clients.

AND it means clients won’t adopt Miro as readily because of this. I guess I’m unclear why this hasn’t happened yet - I find it enormously frustrating - and honestly if someone else created a tool like this that allowed custom fonts we’d probably switch.

Without custom font we are not able to use our corporate design which restricts the usage when we want to do online workshops with special audiences or sales pitches.

This is limiting the purpose for what we can use Miro :-(

Have an integration with a font app to allow user to chose from various fonts

There is a lack of handwritten fonts.

Caveat is ok, but adding Virgil (the font used for Excalidraw diagrams) would be great.

+20 Miro has so many capabilities beyond whiteboarding. A must have for any design board. No questions asked and no debate. Need 1 of 4 options.

• Upload otf or ttf file and have available as a custom font
  • Ability to use google font
  • Ability to use Adobe Typefont
  • System font since in cloud probably not an option (Adobe Typefont licensing if collaboration is possible requiring user to have their own license)

Smashing the upvote/like on this one!

Please. 

This is a fundamental necessity, people have been asking for years now.

The font choice on Miro is disappointing, and gets more frustrating the more I use it. Understandable that licensing is a complex issue, but why would it be so difficult to include access to google fonts?

Come on miro - pull your finger out.

It’s two years people have been asking now.  Who wants to use a tool where you can’t use your own branding?

I can do this in lucid, figma, microsoft…

+1 I want to build my slides in Miro instead of Google Slides but our corporate template is in Google Slides. This is one of the few places where I haven’t managed to get to parity with a Miro template.

Just adding to the pile here - not being able to load custom fonts is a huge (and really the only) barrier to fully transitioning to Miro as a core content creation platform. Our use-case for Miro would skyrocket with the addition of this one feature.

Hello Miro? Earth calling Miro! Your customers have been asking for two years now - please let us use the fonts we need (like we can on the other tools we have to keep reverting to)! Thanks!

Has there been any progress made on this feature? I'm wanting to get my organization into Miro but not being able to add our brand font may sway some from the product due to the inability to remain brand compliant.