Idea

Copy objects by reference / instance

• 7 June 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3

Is it possible to create an instance of another element or a group, where if you edit one of them, the other will change as well ?

For example if you’re creating a website UI flow board, you want to have a header on each page (frame), where each menu item is linked to a particular Frame and if you want to change that header on one of them, you’d want them all to change, not having to manually make that same change for all of them

Thank you.

9 replies

Hi @tengotengo

+1 This is what I am looking for as well but it seems worryingly quiet! I hoped the template functionality might do this but I can’t seem to get it to work in this way. I am a designer and most apps I use these days i.e. Sketch/Illustrator etc. have ‘Symbols’ to facilitate this. You can create a template, modify it at source and all instances of that ‘symbol’ would update across your art boards.

I am creating wireframes that use a lot of tables so it’s an incredible time-sink without this :( I hope there’s some news from support or the community on this soon. Otherwise I am really loving Miro.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@tengotengo -

I don’t believe there’s any out of the box Miro functionality to enable this but it might be feasible via custom development using the API…

Kiron

Thanks @Kiron Bondale I am sure you are correct. One tends to use wireframes to save dev time so that’s quite ironic!

Appreciate your time :smiley:

Userlevel 1

Is it possible to create an instance of another element or a group, where if you edit one of them, the other will change as well ?

For example if you’re creating a website UI flow board, you want to have a header on each page (frame), where each menu item is linked to a particular Frame and if you want to change that header on one of them, you’d want them all to change, not having to manually make that same change for all of them

Thank you.

+1 from me also. This is a standard feature of https://zengobi.com/curio/ which has several features in common with Miro. Being a desktop-only app seems to permit it to offer many powerful tricks that Miro does not (yet) have, however being a desktop-only app it is not so easy to share work. Instance-replication would be a fantastic Miro feature.

Userlevel 4
Badge

In the meantime give my plugin a try, it allows you to sync widgets on a single board - this includes Notes, Text, Cards, Lines and Shapes : https://miro.com/marketplace/carbon-copy/

In the meantime give my plugin a try, it allows you to sync widgets on a single board - this includes Notes, Text, Cards, Lines and Shapes : https://miro.com/marketplace/carbon-copy/

Such an invaluable addition to Miro. Kudos for that!

Hi @Markus Smet, I can’t find the plugin in the marketplace. Has it been renamed or pulled down? Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@PeterM It’s been removed from the marketplace, we are working on a new version and are about 70% complete.

@PeterM It’s been removed from the marketplace, we are working on a new version and are about 70% complete.

@Markus Smet cool, thanks for the update