Connect Frames

Hi,

i believe – just as the user can connect any shape, text, sticky note, picture etc with nodes/arrows – would it not be very useful to add the ability to connect frames the same way? 

I agree. I’d like to see frames be a first-class citizen, with the ability to create connectors that link to a frame so that it maintains connection when the frame is moved. I’d also like to create a connection to an element inside of a frame (such as a sticky note). 

@joshak :

A real cool idea :bulb: and worth to vote for it and I really like to see it - more thinking out of the box:thumbsup:

This is just required.

A very basic feature that enables users to structure ideas and concepts into frames and subframes is must have in any world-class diagramming tool.

Without this users are limited to use frames, and actually the use of frames seems to be discouraged (but I know that is not the idea, frames play an important role for Miro). 

We tried several workarounds like

1. using a small shape as a connector point

1. Inserting a shape that fills the frame

But they don't work in practice 

• You acquire more workload for free. Now you need "to maintain" those shapes you inserted everytime you need to reshape something
    • This is even worse considering you cannot reshape a frame and shape together by one-side only (width or height), they only re-size in 1:1, but you know it is quite common users want to resize only horizontally or vertically.
    • Basically I need to group the first time, ungroup every time I need to re-shape, re-shape the shape and then the frame and group them again.
  • Users lose time and focus
    • I learned to play the workarounds in a quicker way took me around 25 min (please consider I am a very experienced user with diagramming tools). I think it could take more to other members of my team and discourage them to use Miro in a proactive way.
    • It is just not scalable. If you have only 3-4 frames it is okay, but if you aim to really use the tool in a daily basis, create and maintain dozens of boards, it just will not work. 
    • It is not only me when doing my diagrams, Miro is intended to be used for tea

Pretty please, this is such an essential feature!

+1 Would be very helpful.