Confluence embeds pinned to a specific frame

As reviewers have noted on the Atlassian Marketplace page for the Miro Confluence integration, the integration still only embeds the entire board in a fixed-size component. This is useless for anyone using  the canvas to hold multiple diagrams..which is the whole point of Miro.

As a result, I’ve got no choice but to export a static  image of the frame I want, and paste that into the page. If the diagram gets updated, my Confluence page obviously does not. And if I want to link to the Miro board, I’m best off bypassing the integration entirely and simply pasting a URL because, again, there is little or no conceivable use for embedding the entire Miro app, UI and all, not focused on the specific content I’m trying to share, into a fixed-size small frame on the wiki page.

This can and should be split into multiple stories, e.g.:

• As a user, I should be able to embed a single live frame into a Confluence page
  • I should be able to control the size and perhaps aspect ratio of the embedded frame, e.g. to match the content, as its dimensions are knowable.
  • I should be able to toggle whether the full Miro app UI should be turned on in the embed by default. Just because a user *can* edit the board that doesn’t mean embeds should be covered in toolbars and minimaps.
  • For pages that can and will be shared with viewers not authenticated into Miro, or lacking access to the specific board, there should be a toggle for an optional fallback behavior that renders a static image of the frame embedded at the time of embed creation or modification.

Since your Confluence integrations go back four years, and your Confluence Cloud integration goes back at least one year, should we expect these sorts of obvious functionality will ever be taken up?

Yes please!! I really need this feature, my boards are way too big for Confluence!

Please prioritise this!

The following post from @Pallavi Dabhade has been merged into this idea:
The Miro board has a couple of different ‘Frames’ that define different parts of the board. Is there any way to link to a specific frame within the Miro board so that only that portion of the board is visible on confluence page?

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

Who can we mention for this to become implemented? Miro integration in Confluence without pinning frames is non-sensical. Please add to roadmap!! ❤️

What is the status of this on Miro’s product roadmap?

As team create bigger and bigger whiteboards / process diagrams I would like to see the Miro embed on confluence should an image (not the full feature Miro screen) that dynamically updates based on the latest portion of the board.

This would allow teams to document process flows and display them in confluence cleanly without having to manually upload the image file containing the frame.

Let me know if there’s any VOCs being hosted on this feature as I would love to give direct feedback to the product team.

The following post from @Pallavi Dabhade has been merged into this idea:
The Miro board has a couple of different ‘Frames’ that define different parts of the board. Is there any way to link to a specific frame within the Miro board so that only that portion of the board is visible on confluence page?

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

As reviewers have noted on the Atlassian Marketplace page for the Miro Confluence integration, the integration still only embeds the entire board in a fixed-size component. This is useless for anyone using  the canvas to hold multiple diagrams..which is the whole point of Miro.

As a result, I’ve got no choice but to export a static  image of the frame I want, and paste that into the page. If the diagram gets updated, my Confluence page obviously does not. And if I want to link to the Miro board, I’m best off bypassing the integration entirely and simply pasting a URL because, again, there is little or no conceivable use for embedding the entire Miro app, UI and all, not focused on the specific content I’m trying to share, into a fixed-size small frame on the wiki page.

This can and should be split into multiple stories, e.g.:

• As a user, I should be able to embed a single live frame into a Confluence page
  • I should be able to control the size and perhaps aspect ratio of the embedded frame, e.g. to match the content, as its dimensions are knowable.
  • I should be able to toggle whether the full Miro app UI should be turned on in the embed by default. Just because a user *can* edit the board that doesn’t mean embeds should be covered in toolbars and minimaps.
  • For pages that can and will be shared with viewers not authenticated into Miro, or lacking access to the specific board, there should be a toggle for an optional fallback behavior that renders a static image of the frame embedded at the time of embed creation or modification.

Since your Confluence integrations go back four years, and your Confluence Cloud integration goes back at least one year, should we expect these sorts of obvious functionality will ever be taken up?

+1 for everything Steve mentioned. 

I agree with several other users here in this thread that the current embed behavior for Confluence is mostly useless without the ability to embed specific frames. 

Our company is heavily pushing Miro as a diagramming solution across our technical teams while at the same time turning to Confluence for technical knowledge management and documentation. My observation is these missing features in the current Confluence Miro plugin are blocking significant productivity and knowledge sharing value for users of both applications (Miro and Confluence). I suspect a more seamless integration would accelerate and reinforce internal adoption by reducing re-work and lifecycle management of static images of frames from boards (that quickly grow stale).

FWiW, the latest version of Miro seems to do a better job of pasting a frame as an image into Confluence (Miro frame → Copy as Image → paste into Confluence). This used to not work IIRC and I had to export frames to files and then use Confluence to “/link” the flies. Even now, it’s an unpleasant UX because I have to copy the image and then update the link with a separate copy/paste. I adapted recently by simply pasting the Miro link to the frame directly below the image (which means not making the image itself a clickable link and puts in an ugly Miro link into the text of my document). Really wish I could click on the image directly to hop over to the board/frame.

So much effort to maintain design/architecture documents and Miro boards.

Please Miro, create a nice Confluence plugin that shows a view-only (non-interactive) frame that can be updated, and which doesn’t only provide a portal to the Miro board as the current plugin does. There are any number of ways you could implement this. I too would love be part of a VOC session if that was an option.

I agree with everything else said before me.

I’m currently experimenting with Miro for a small entity (~300 people with 150 possible Miro users), but the fact that it can’t play nicely with Confluence is a huge drawback and might tip the scales in favor of *not* adopting the product and purchase licences.

I’m probably not the only one.

+1! Need this!

Forced to use draw.io instead now…..

+1 this would be a really nice feature!

Adding to the legions before me.

When might we get an acknowledgement that this issue has been recognized and is in a backlog, or better yet, on a roadmap somewhere? 

Plus one to all comments above! This is a critical feature for our use case.

I’m sorry but without this feature, embedding Miro in Confluence is just useless. Plus one.

yea this would be great - I am starting to pin Miro boards in confluence and jira. I do not necessarily need to edit the boards in confluence and jira, but what would be great is if I can pin a specific frame and that stays up to date.

so if we edit that in miro or if we move it within the same board it will show the right thing in the webapp plugin on confluence

Completely bemused that this feature set isn’t part and parcel of the plugin. Back to pasting images that need updating.

It’s been 2.5 years and I am still missing this feature sooooo much!

There already is the functionality of exporting a frame to an image => it should actually be rather trivial to at least do so dynamically via the plugin whenever a confluence page is refreshed ...

When this will be available as this is very usefully within confluence?

Just came in here to upvote this feature in 2023. 

I have a workflow I’m trying to share that lives in a Miro board with a ton of other stuff that I need as part of this initiative, but that no one else needs to see while viewing the workflow in Confluence. The workflow is too big to add as a static image; it needs the ability for people to zoom in/out and move around it. I made separate board in Miro to just house this one frame, and already today, alone, I’ve made like 5 updates and had to make them in both boards. 

Would super love to be able to just pin a single frame in the Miro embed in Confluence so that people can move around/zoom in and out on that one frame, but not the rest of the board.

These features are crucial to embed miro board in confluence. 

Atlassian just announced their own whiteboard function:

Today, we’re introducing whiteboards in Confluence. Built on the Atlassian platform, with deep integrations to Atlassian products, you can immediately turn those ideas into reality, all in one tool.

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/announcements/confluence-new-ways-to-collaborate?utm_source=newsletter-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=confluence-digest-april_EML-14991&jobid=106029109&subid=1669239151

This may explain why the feature is going nowhere in the Miro+Confluence integration. No doubt it won’t be as good as Miro, but if it’s close, I would recommend my company jump away from Miro, possibly for this reason alone (not to mention we already pay for Confluence). Luckily, folks at Miro can rest assured (for now) that Atlassian will make the user experience for whiteboards horrible in some way, but they should take notice. This feature request has been alive and continually updated for 2 years now.

Is this available yet ?

Yes, it would be really nice feature +1

+1 from us to this. It’s such a good idea.

Hi everyone! I’m a Product Lead at Miro and I have a good news that my team is currently working on this feature (ability of using the initial view of an embed using a frame) and it will become available soon on all embed integrations including Confluence.

Stay tuned!

Come on, adding this feature should be like a no-brainer.

Hi @farbodsaraf, so glad to hear your team is working on this! I’ve been following this post for a long time and check on this periodically - finally some traction! Could you describe some of the planned behaviors of this new feature? I’m hoping it’s something like this:

• I can insert a Miro frame into Confluence
  • I can adjust the frame within the Confluence page depending on the size of the image
  • I can update the view in Confluence as I update the diagram in Miro (but under my control, not “live” update), though I suppose auto updates would be OK, maybe desireable.
  • I like the OP’s suggestion to convert to a static image for those not authorized to view Miro; honestly, this would be enough for me for all cases, but I understand why others would value a _slightly_ more interactive view.
  • The view in Confluence is not fully Miro-interactive (I want a picture, not a Miro “portal”); assuming the current Miro “portal” function would still exist somehow.
  • Ideally there is only the frame showing, not the gray border around it from the Miro background, or the frame’s title.

Some of these ACs are bit in conflict with the OP’s stories, but those suggestions implemented verbatim would be a huge improvement over the current embedded board.

Thanks!