Color Palette Management

I would absolutely love a robust color management tool set. It’s too easy to lose palettes and brand standards in the current dot matrix. Swatches from the Adobe CC Suite are a great starting reference point.

A double wish-list item would be to integrate with a service like Coolors that can generate palettes based on primary or secondary colors, to quickly iterate off brand hex values.

Here are some possibilities

• Collapsible navigation
  • Drag and Drop Re-Ordering
  • Palette Export / Import
  • Search engine that allows searching by mood, brand or keyword
  • Palette generation and color locking feature

I took a few minutes and drafted a mock-up inside Miro to get the point across. Would be curious what ideas others have. Feel free to copy / paste and add on to the starting point below, just re-lock my shapes when you’re done and add your name and date in the frame to serve as a timestamp. Excited to see what the community comes up with!

• Drag and Drop Re-Ordering !!! would be really handy, like the mac color plate interface 

yep, in simple terms though I’d just like a palette I could associate with particular clients - can add a real sense of a ‘finish’ to a Board.

I would also like a feature where Standard Colors could be made available, like a library, to Company Users.

Cant believe the stickies don’t have the same color addition palette that shapes do

Voted!

While we’re on the subject, for those who didn’t know, if you want to get rid of a custom color you have created, just click-and-drag it out of your swatch :slight_smile:

There was a question posted a short while back asking how to get rid of these and it had a number of us stumped - it’s referenced in the Colors on the Board help article.

Over three years of using Miro I now have hundreds of custom colors (I’m exaggerating a bit) wish there was a Batch Clear feature.

@Brandon Lee - Greetings from Saskatchewan! If I had almost 100 custom colours to remove, I would probably take the time to set up a macro recorder app to delete them all for me, not only to play with some tech, but also to have the satisfaction of having not removed all of the colours manually :wink:

@Brandon Lee - Greetings from Saskatchewan! If I had almost 100 custom colours to remove, I would probably take the time to set up a macro recorder app to delete them all for me, not only to play with some tech, but also to have the satisfaction of having not removed all of the colours manually :wink:

Thanks for the Tip… 3DConnexion Space Mouse allows me to scroll super fast so it hasn’t come to me taking action.  This is one of those, I’m busy today so I will do it tomorrow but then tomorrow comes and it is busier than yesterday :grin:

BTW I didn’t think they allowed Roughrider fans onto this Site… I will have to rethink visiting (sorry, bad Saskatchewan joke)

@Brandon Lee! That was a secret! /=S=/

Thanks for the Tip… 3DConnexion Space Mouse allows me to scroll super fast so it hasn’t come to me taking action.  This is one of those, I’m busy today so I will do it tomorrow but then tomorrow comes and it is busier than yesterday :grin:

BTW I didn’t think they allowed Roughrider fans onto this Site… I will have to rethink visiting (sorry, bad Saskatchewan joke)

@Brandon Lee I also have a spacemouse and I find myself reaching for it instinctively to try and fly around a Miro Board quickly (Like I would do when looking at CAD drawings). Do you know if there is a way to use it to do more than scroll in and out? Thanks!

We use Browser based CAD (Onshape) and Spacemouse works well (like you would imagine) but for any other Website, including Miro, just scrolling up down functionality @Derek Schep 

I see Onshape is listed Supported Software List - 3Dconnexion UK not sure how Miro would get added to this list?

(Sorry for hijacking this Conversation Thread… I don’t plan to speak on this topic any further).

Yes to the colour management! Also, on all items, some items you can’t use your own colours so it’s very limiting. 

Workflow and Keyboard Ideas

In my workflow I tend to match colors as I add objects.
Each time I add a new color using the color picker, it takes me longer and longer to scroll down the list and get to the color picker tool.

Would it be possible to put the color picker front and center so that I do not need to scroll through all the colors to find it?

I would like the workflow to be one of these options:

Mouse Workflow

1. drop or select object
  2. click set color and opacity button to open color pallet
  3. click crayon to pick color
  4. click the color on the board that I want to use

Keyboard Workflow

1. drop or select object
  2. keyboard: /color:blue
    1. or: /color:pick
    2. or: /color: #FFFFFF
  3. click the color on the board I want to use

Would really like to see more keyboard shortcuts... so that we have a mini-command line available that allows us to script actions to some degree...

Until then, perhaps we can just move at least the + button position to the top left of the color pallet next to the transparent object? Please? If possible, I would like the crayon to be there as well as I don't often use the #000000 option. So it would save two clicks if the crayon was available directly for color picking.

Today I have to do this:

1. drop object
  2. click set color and opacity button to open color pallet
  3. set my mouse over the tiny, narrow, hard to get there vertical line
  4. scroll down, way down... down down
  5. click the + button to open the color picker to open the HEX window
  6. click the crayon to pick a color
  7. click the color on the board that I want to use

Hello, does anyone know how to edit an existing custom color without having to add a new color. The intent would be to update the existing color so it will automatically apply to all the boards we’ve created. Would love to know, thanks!

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

I would LOVE this features. Something similar to Photoshop palettes would be great. 
Would make working with clients’ brands much simpler. 

AND the ability to share palette libraries with other users in the organisation would be SUPER! 

Hi Miro Community!

As many of you have requested, we’re excited to share that a Color Palette is now available, as part of the PowerPack app created by @Max Harper!

With the new functionality, you can now:

• Create your own color palettes
  • Create shared team palettes that can be used across multiple boards (Pro version)
  • Discover 50 pre-made color combination palettes to save you time
  • Create & share color gradients & apply them to objects on the board

To get started, you can install the PowerPack app from the Miro Marketplace.

Share your thoughts in the comments below!

While it’s great to see the marketplace adding new features to miro, it’s frustrating that one of the most useful features of the power pack is behind a pro license (creating team palettes for use on multiple boards).

Any organisation using miro is already paying a lot for the license fee - having to pay more for an add-on app to access a requested feature feels like a kick in the teeth.

I appreciate that the creator of this app has spent a lot of time and effort to create this and completely understand them wanting to monetise the app.

But I’m not sure having paid-for add-on apps actually solves the lack of features long term when you have to consider making a new purchase order every time you want to add new functionality to miro.

/rant

While it’s great to see the marketplace adding new features to miro, it’s frustrating that one of the most useful features of the power pack is behind a pro license (creating team palettes for use on multiple boards).

Any organisation using miro is already paying a lot for the license fee - having to pay more for an add-on app to access a requested feature feels like a kick in the teeth.

I appreciate that the creator of this app has spent a lot of time and effort to create this and completely understand them wanting to monetise the app.

But I’m not sure having paid-for add-on apps actually solves the lack of features long term when you have to consider making a new purchase order every time you want to add new functionality to miro.

/rant

I agree. Colour palette management is an essential feature for Enterprise organisations and should be integrated into the core platform.

And like with nearly all apps, it requires admin approval. And much like in any enterprise organisation security is taken very seriously. Getting SecOps approval on anything is next to impossible. Unfortunately for most the PowerPack is not possible to implement. 

IdeaDelivered

Thank you and the team for implementing Brand Colors and the larger Brand Center structure. It’s awesome and deeply appreciated!

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere - a next-level iteration would be to allow for not just a single brand standard / color palette to be managed, but to allow for multiple palettes (client standards, initiative visual identities, etc) to be flexibly added and removed from the larger color selection tool. This flexibility and scale is in the spirit of the initial post; the Brand Colors solution solves for a single need.

Just flagging these observations formally before this thread is closed out forever. Many of the bullet point opportunities / approaches raised three years ago at the top of this thread still apply. Big thanks again for the forward motion on color management within the tool.