Idea

Collapsible branches on the mind maps

Userlevel 7

To me, this is the most glaring of the missing features on MIRO right now.  This app keeps getting better and works seamlessly, but that one missing feature is really holding us back from going all-in.  

92 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

To me, this is the most glaring of the missing features on MIRO right now.  This app keeps getting better and works seamlessly, but that one missing feature is really holding us back from going all-in.  

Hey, thanks for your feedback! In fact, it’s very timely –  we’re researching how we can improve mind map right now :) 

Userlevel 3

Yes, yes, yes!!
The ability to collapse mind map branches is crucial!! 
And the other cited features are also welcome.

Userlevel 2

Hey, thanks for your feedback! In fact, it’s very timely –  we’re researching how we can improve mind map right now :) 

One of the most missed features for me as well. Do you have any update on the progress for an extended version of the mind map?

Collapse and different background colors for the different levels (not only color the lines) would be helping a lot to extend current mind-maps

Userlevel 2

This is super important in mindmapping to allow for focus during a discussion - too many open nodes distract.  Best tool ever for this was iMindmap (now ayoa).

Userlevel 3

Totally agree with the feature: once the mindmap gets big enough - it rapidly loses usability. On 100% zoom, I see only 1/8th of my map, and the inability to collapse other nodes is a bummer.

Userlevel 2

Totally agree, the ability to consolidate nodes and temporarily hide them from view allows us to focus on what’s critical and hide what might be developed at a later date.  The beauty of a mind map is that you can dump everything from your brain onto the table, and then the power of a dynamic mind map is you can consolidate the madness to make clarity out of it :)  Would love to know if there’s a production timeline to implement this function?

Userlevel 2

It is a must. Now I moving to another tool because Miro is missing it.

Userlevel 1

Hoping this gets delivered soon. Can someone at Miro at chime in with a rough ETA? 2021? Q1? Q2? Q3? Throw us a bone here!

Userlevel 1

Very few mind-mapping tools offer collapsable branches.  This is so surprising because I personally have no use for a mind map that DOES NOT allow me to close the branches.

Userlevel 7

Great news. Images and boundaries would be great. Also in-cell notes.  Keep making the best collaboration tool out there even better! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@all:

Not only in MindMaps - even in all branch-oriented use of miro it would be cool:

Michael

Userlevel 1

We totally need this feature! Much love for the team! :heart:

Userlevel 3

I love using mindmaps for organizing my thoughts (also when working with a groups), but the Miro Mindmap really only covers basic needs. I suggest trying out XMind Pro for inspiration, which offers a great mindmapping experience (unfortunately non-collaborative, as it’s only a desktop software). But if you could replicate some of that experience, that would be awesome.

Best regards

Jens

Userlevel 1

The following, in order of importance top to bottom.

1. Collapsing/ expanding branches
  2. Auto sizing nodes ( even 2 chanceter text wraps for me but that could be user error!🙄)
  3. True custom layout for nodes, as opposed to enforced layouts
  4. Add pictures to nodes
  5. Customisable level formats,colour, font,font size .…
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This is a fantastic feature thread, one which I strongly support.

1. Collapsible branches
  2. More robust capability for multiple parent nodes to link to one or more common child nodes.
  3. The ability to auto layout the vertical spacing so that all items at a given level are on the same layer.  This would need to be an option.
  4. The ability to multi-select and edit shape, line color, font, font color, fill color for nodes.
  5. The ability to hang text or an object below a node and keep aligned.
  6. Ability to organize child nodes of a given branch vertically, as is common in an org chart (some of my trees are too wide to be useful).
Userlevel 1

Of course! Otherwise the map can become huge and not friendly...

Userlevel 1

Yes, please please do collapsible nodes in Mindmaps. It’s a must! 

Userlevel 1

The feature is crucial, as other said. 

I worked with freemind [1] a lot in the past, might be a suggestion to look at how they did it there ?

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/freemind/

collapsible_branches++ 

See XMIND for feature parity. 

Userlevel 1

I’m echoing all the above frustrations. In order to present an idea at the “core” of a Miro mindmap (without sharing some of the children I am not ready to share) I literally have to make a copy of the entire mindmap. Then we need to deal with version control, etc.. ARGHHH!

This is BEYOND frustrating, as many people have posted above. Please please post an update here, Miro!

What is the update on this feature?

Some teammates are already using another tool just for mind maps.

Userlevel 1

Here is an example of why this feature would be very useful. I really hope I can collapse that massive chunk of purple lines soon. That big long blue URL also doesn’t need to be visible. 

The beauty of a mind map is that once we have made it, everyone can explore it, but they aren’t confronted with its entirety all at once. They explore it at their own pace, opening up the nodes, and taking parts in one at a time. 

Userlevel 1

This is critical to the use of mind maps at scale. Definitely adding my voice to this feature request. 

Any news on this feature?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Please add this feature, it is a must for mind maps...

It is not a must for MindMaps:

It is a standard functionality in MindMapping-tools like

fontsize changing in a Writing - Tool like MS Word is standard.

As long as it is not included you cannot call Miro a MindMapping tool …

Imagine Word without fontsize changing … Would you use it for writing …?

Michael