Classroom Management - unruly students vandalising each others work - what to do?

• 11 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi everyone, recently moved to online teaching on Miro for art and design courses for adults. It works really well for almost all of my classes.

However I have 2 students who sabotage each others work, or when I am presenting or sharing a screen start moving pictures and objects into my window to block where I am. It’s slightly stressful as I am on an Education account, so students always have editing rights which override the project or board rights. It disrupts the class and stops both students from ever finishing anything. I’d like to revoke their access at times, however it’s really important that both complete the coursework.

I was wondering if there was some way they could be in my team, yet the present board/project permissions overrides the team permissions? 

Or should I delete them from the Education team but keep them in the project/ add in manually to each board? 

Both are good students, just total kids who won’t stop messing. So I’m not looking to ban them or anything. 

Other solutions:

One thing that would be really helpful is if I could hide each other’s work from one another and/or lock each others work from one another, yet they could still have editing rights.

“A pen” - if I could lock them to their individual frame/workspace area of the board or repel them from certain areas, so they stop messing up other students work. In a classroom it’s easy to separate people and put them into two different parts of the room so they can get on with their work. 

A funny solution (they suggested!) was that I send them to Miro Jail. Can this be organised somehow? 😂

5 replies

Userlevel 1

One feature I’ve been using a lot in the last few months is the “locking” feature on frames, and particularly the new feature where I can set it so only I can unlock that frame/area/group of objects.  Is there a way you could use that to lock down at least your presentations?  I’ve been using it more to keep my students from accidentally moving things around, but it could also work to keep them from intentionally moving things around.

I have also had success with manipulating the permissions between the whole team, individual boards, and projects to keep them from messing with things before I want them to.  I have the defaults set that only the board owner can see/edit new content, and projects where certain groups of students have view-only privileges.  If I want them to edit, I change the location and permissions on the individual board, then shut them back off and put them in a project when I want them to be able to go back and look at what we did without making additional edits.

Good luck!  One of my colleagues is having similar troubles with juvenile behavior from a student right now, and it’s stressful and frustrating.  I hope you find a good solution, either technologically or classroom management-wise!

--Dr Williams (math)

Userlevel 1

I think you should not invite students into your educational account. An educational account is for a teacher/groups of teachers and not for students.  So instead of inviting them in (and thus giving them complete authority & freedom to destroy things), you can:

1. create a project
  2. within a project, create individual boards for each student (as many boards as students)
  3. in each student board, set the access rights to “everyone with the link can edit” and set a password
  4. share the board link + password with each student separately; this way, a student has an own board where he needs to complete work, and he cannot access other people’s boards (unless they get the links + passwords)
  5. make another board or boards only for yourself; set the access right as “everyone with the link can view”. that is the board you can share with the entire class and also use during the live lectures. they won’t be able to do anything here except viewing what you are doing and they won’t have editing rights, and no possibility to damage anything.

-Mariia 

Userlevel 1

I think you should not invite students into your educational account. An educational account is for a teacher/groups of teachers and not for students.  So instead of inviting them in (and thus giving them complete authority & freedom to destroy things), you can:

1. create a project
  2. within a project, create individual boards for each student (as many boards as students)
  3. in each student board, set the access rights to “everyone with the link can edit” and set a password
  4. share the board link + password with each student separately; this way, a student has an own board where he needs to complete work, and he cannot access other people’s boards (unless they get the links + passwords)
  5. make another board or boards only for yourself; set the access right as “everyone with the link can view”. that is the board you can share with the entire class and also use during the live lectures. they won’t be able to do anything here except viewing what you are doing and they won’t have editing rights, and no possibility to damage anything.

-Mariia 

I'm new, please show me with a little tutorial how to do it? thanks

I want to say thank you to the above poster Mariia. However, as a teacher, this just takes too much time to do for several assignments per day. We really could use a different solution such as setting permissions for certain regions of a board. That would be a dream come true!

I think you should not invite students into your educational account. An educational account is for a teacher/groups of teachers and not for students. 

Is this true, that the 100 seats I have in my educational account are designed to be used by fellow teachers and not students? And that students should get access through shared links rather than having their own Miro Account? When I read about the [Education Plan – Miro Support & Help Center](https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730473-Education-Plan), that’s not how I interpret it.

Could someone from Miro please clarify? I’m hoping to use Miro beginning in January and want to get this right.