Apple pencil support on iPadOS / Drawing without unwanted marks and dots / Palm Rejection

When I using Apple Pencil in Miro App on iPadOS,

the screen reacts with my hands and fingers so that I couldn’t write well on iPad.

I feel Miro App is the best Application for remote jobs.

So, I’m sad about that point.

I wish Miro support Apple Pencil.

Hi @broadcast_seven, thanks for the question.

It’s a priority for our team, and we’re currently working on this initiative. I can’t say the specific date yet, so please stay tuned.

Could you please elaborate, what problems do you currently encounter?

@Tolya Filippov I can answer from my own experience. I may be in a rare group here that does not use Miro for any kind of strategy/planning work. I have set up maps for my field crew to use in Miro.

We were previously using (and mostly still are using) a .pdf editor app to mark down inspections of storm drains in our area. This involves a lot of markings that are basically highlights and small notes, but they really add up to a lot of information. With Miro, I can lay out a huge area instead of them having open one .pdf at a time. (I also added my vote to the “add a highlighter tool” wish list item, which I really need.)

Not having the palm-rejection feature of a stylus/Apple Pencil leads to all kinds of little nuisances that slowly wear the guys out. Lots of accidental markings, difficulty moving/zooming in around the maps…These guys will make notes for hundreds of stops every day.

Another +1 for palm rejection support, but then on Surface-style Windows 10 touch-screen laptops.

Main goal: whiteboard replacement for brainstorming/designing by distributed teams in these work-from-home times. Handwritten/drawn content makes it feel more like an actual whiteboard, but it's hard to use without palm rejection.

@Tolya Filippov I use Miro pretty extensively now for client and internal planning/whiteboarding/teaching sessions. I’d love to give any feedback you need to help expedite this, as it is my biggest pain point with Miro so far.

My ideal workflow is to draw with a pencil and erase with a finger, without using any buttons or toolbars.

Some whiteboard apps have that.

Simply add a setting like:
1. Draw by touch and pencil (Default)

2. Allow drawing only by pencil

@Tolya Filippov Does the prototype app you have extend pen support to non ios devices?  I use onenote + ms whiteboard for handwriting simply because of their pen support.

In miro I would want the pen tool to be used when input is coming from a stylus device.  Pressure sensitivity would be nice as well as it leads to more readable text.  I am not sure how much of this is supported through a browser.

@Tolya Filippov Does the prototype app you have extend pen support to non ios devices?  I use onenote + ms whiteboard for handwriting simply because of their pen support.

In miro I would want the pen tool to be used when input is coming from a stylus device.  Pressure sensitivity would be nice as well as it leads to more readable text.  I am not sure how much of this is supported through a browser.

Using Windows Ink you can have pressure sensitivity through a browser (at least with the Edge browser). I’d love to see proper pencil support on all OSes. Feels like Miro was born to work with a pencil!

Hi @broadcast_seven, thanks for the question.

It’s a priority for our team, and we’re currently working on this initiative. I can’t say the specific date yet, so please stay tuned.

Could you please elaborate, what problems do you currently encounter?

@Tolya Filippov Speaking for myself, the problem is that, on ipad, I want to be able to choose between using a finger to draw, or use apple pencil. In the case of choosing to draw with apple pencil, you want to be able to reject finger input / accidental palm input. I think this is typically what apple pencil users want in note-taking / whiteboarding / sketching apps. 

I’ve just subscribed to Miro, this seems a basic feature in other apps so it’s a bit underwhelming, to the point I’m considering unsubscribing until when/if Miro gets better pencil support.

Hey guys,

We’re ready to start the usability-testing of the improved stylus support in Miro. If you are willing to share your feedback and test out a new prototype, please book a convenient time via this link.

@Carlos Lemus @Gerard @Ryan Wagner @broadcast_seven @ChristophK @Francis O'Reilly @Serg Hospodarets @Colin Nickerson @Joe Raeburn @Francis O'Reilly and anyone else who’s interested :)

@Tolya Filippov Just to be sure, and excuse my ignorance, any “active” stylus should be fine, right? Not just the Apple Pencil?

@Ryan Wagner We optimize Palm Rejection for Apple Pencil first, but we’re also testing it with other styluses. So if you have another stylus you still will help us a lot with user testing :)

@Tolya Filippov Great! I booked for Friday.

I think if you look at the comments they are equal between Apple and Android tablets, especiall with the really good Galaxy Tab S6, s6 lite and S7, S7+. 

I would be willing to test out your beta on the S6. But for now, this is a showstopper for us. We collaborate and write. But when we use Miro it feels we have to go back to the Nineties!

Should I download some beta app on my Ipad Pro for testing palm rejection, or it`s already in app? 

I wish you make some tweaks like in Procreate, when I could just switch off finger input at all and use finger only for navigation.

It is completely impossible for me to work properly without palm rejection, as it draws unwanted lines and half of the time is spent in removing them.

All other cool features that Miro has, gets diminished and useless just because of this basic flaw.

Please fix it ASAP. it has been months now...

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback! 
If you are willing to share your feedback and test out the latest prototype, please book a convenient time via this link.
@XsDash @Ilya Zhuckowsky @Milan Shah @Gerard @Colin Nickerson 

For guys who already helped us in usability-testing: thank you so much! Also, we’ve improved the prototype a lot since the first round of interviews, so feel free to check it out and book a convenient time for you as well!

@Adrian Irwin @Aaron Dressin @Will Leingang @pdonoghue @PeterLowe @Henri Liriani @juan josé @Rogerbubba @Simon Summermatter @maxroz @daiv @Joe @Helgos @Lyapunov 

Booked for tomorrow morning! Thanks for putting this on, Miro team.

This is a key feature, of having the ability to distinquish between the apple pencil and fingers.

Fingers do one type of activity and the pencil does another. Please incorporate this asap.

Fully support the feature of palm rejection and a pencil mode (e.g., for apple pencil). Currently, to fix this problem, I wear a glove on my right hand for drawing and use my left hand for navigation, which is not a good user experience...

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback! 
If you are willing to share your feedback and test out the latest prototype, please book a convenient time via this link.

Happy to test but the calendly link has expired. If there is another link pls provide :)

Hi everyone,

To help explain your ideas quicker and easier than before, we are adding new cool features to our Pen tool:

• Palm rejection allowing you to sketch ideas quickly and naturally on touch devices without leaving unwanted marks
  • Three drawing presets letting you switch between saved colors and pen thickness to speed up work
  • Highlighter enabling you to annotate boards and facilitate meetings in a more visual and engaging way
  • Lasso tool helping select and move hand-drawn objects on the board easily

Visit Help Center to learn more and let us know what you think about the feature.

P. S. Thanks to everyone who participated in usability-tests and interviews—you helped us make Miro even better!