Allow drawing on sticky notes

Related products: Cross-Device

At this point, I’d take anything for improvements there. The current setup is basic enough I never use it. 

The Mural feature of being able to create a sticky note and then draw in it is nice for the continued atomization of ideas. 

The current absolute high-water mark for Miro-like conceptual drawing on the iPad is Concepts.app on iPad.

Hi @Jeremy Pollack! 👋
It’s Tolya, I’m responsible for cross-device experience at Miro. Thank you very much for the feedback!

The Mural feature of being able to create a sticky note and then draw in it is nice for the continued atomization of ideas. 

Yes, I agree that it would be handy, we have "Drawing on stickies" in the backlog.

The current absolute high-water mark for Miro-like conceptual drawing on the iPad is Concepts.app on iPad.

I feel you, Concepts app has a lot of interesting native things for Apple Pencil.
Jeremy, could you please tell me what you usually use Miro tablet app for? And what things do you like more in Concepts app?

Hi @Tolya Filippov,

Agree the drawing in stickies would be a huge benefit and the one major downside of Miro compared to Mural. Do you know when this might be implemented?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi @Michael Douglas. We are thinking of this functionality in Miro, but no ETA so far. Stay tuned!

While it’s not perfect I still can group my drawings with a sticky note as a workaround for ‘real drawing’ on stickies …

But I’m kind of lost whenever I want to draw with my Apple pencil on my iPad and the Miro app uses the touch drawing mode instead of Apple’s pencil drawing. So I can’t rest my palm on the iPad while drawing with the pencil :(   At least without accidentally creating additional artifacts ...
Any idea how this can be fixed (or when, if it need Miro to fix this)? 

Within a Miro board I think it would be cool to be able to place a sticky note and then draw on that sticky note. Currently if you do this and try to move the sticky note then the drawing does not move and they are two separate things. 

When having a brainstorming session or retrospective etc then it gives the user the option to provide handwritten sticky notes rather then typed or using the awesome stickies capture feature!

I appreciate that this is possibly aimed more at those using a tablet with stylus or a desktop user with a graphic tablet but it would be a great user experience! :grin:

Hi @George Sofroniou ,

you can draw on a note an can group it and then you are able to move and resize it together as one object.

Michael

This feature would really boost your product!
I really need to sketch while working on a User Story Map with my team.

Hope you’ll implement this feature soon.

“Good Notes” App is also a very good reference when it comes to iPad (Pro) 
https://www.goodnotes.com

Hi @Niels @David Coales @Trianta @Coach4Agile @Michael Douglas @Jeremy Pollack 

Thanks for the requests! We are working on the improved experience of the Miro iPad app with Apple Pencil.

If you are open to talk with me about your experience and try out a prototype, please choose a convenient time slot for you via this link.

Hi Tolya, @Tolya Filippov 

I stumbled upon this thread. I created a topic on this issue. https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/importing-sketches-from-an-external-source-2024

I agree that Concepts is a great app with a lot of similarities to the Miro mindset.

When working in the Apple ecosystem you can use Universal Clipboard to transfer transparant drawings directly from Concepts to the Miro board. This really give a boost to productivity. I must admit though that this functionality can be very frustrating when it’s not working due to some settings.

Integrating a kind of button “direct to miro” in Concepts would be fantastic or having an extra window inside Miro thats linked to an external pressure sensitive input device (ipad, galaxy note, wacom, ...) would be fantastic. So a collaboration between two companies/apps in that matter could create magic. Like you do with other more IT related apps. Looking to the creative communities like industrial design, illustration and others that have sketching as an essential skill Miro has opportunities to grow. 

I’m open to sharing insights and showing cases. 

Hello,

I would really like to have the same way of integration of the drawing with the Apple Pencil in Miro as supported by the Apple Notes app. 

I think apple provides a library that allows you to easily integrate this feature. 

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/pencilkit

Looking forward to seeing this feature coming since it would be a gamechanger on collaboration and closing the gap between analog and digital whiteboards. 

Thanks a lot!

Since the moment I got a Wacom tablet, I wanted to be able to draw/write on a post-it instead of typing in text. This would bring Miro even closer to real whiteboard feel!

Wow, more than a year and this totally obvious feature is still not available. Sorry to be so negative, but I can’t understand how Miro could ever gain any market significance.

Hi @Niels @David Coales @Trianta @Coach4Agile @Michael Douglas @Jeremy Pollack 

Thanks for the requests! We are working on the improved experience of the Miro iPad app with Apple Pencil.

If you are open to talk with me about your experience and try out a prototype, please choose a convenient time slot for you via this link.

@Tolya Filippov Any progress around this? My company just got all in to Miro and moving away from Microsoft Whiteboard. I don’t say that microsoft whiteboard is the best options around but this feature has been there since I started using it 2 years back and we use it a lot.

Grouping as a workaround is not feasible it is too many clicks when all you have is a screen and a pen.

by the way, I would actually like to draw on any type of shape or image, not only on sticky notes.

if i draw on a diagram i would like the notes to follow when moved.

If I annotate a text i would like the annotation to move when i move the text

If I doodle on an image i would like the doodles to follow when i move the image etc...

Adding another reply to bump this back up in conversation! Was surprised to find out that Mural has this feature but Miro does not. Handwriting and drawing on stickies seems like the most whiteboard-like feature for a whiteboarding/collaboration app. And not just for the iPad app, but for the web and desktop apps as well! I’m on my Windows Surface right now, thinking I was actually sketching on a sticky note, only to see my drawing just floating in space when I dragged my sticky note away… 

Adding another reply to bump this back up in conversation! Was surprised to find out that Mural has this feature but Miro does not. Handwriting and drawing on stickies seems like the most whiteboard-like feature for a whiteboarding/collaboration app. And not just for the iPad app, but for the web and desktop apps as well! I’m on my Windows Surface right now, thinking I was actually sketching on a sticky note, only to see my drawing just floating in space when I dragged my sticky note away… 

This feature is a must have for Design Thinking and other creative Brainstorming scenarios. This feature makes Miro smarter more efficient against mural. This could be an criteria to change to mural, what i noct really want. But this feature is two years on the wish-List and nothing happened?!?

Bump.

I feel like pencil use on the iPad is increasing for me and this would really be a great feature.

Upvoting and bumping. I love using Miro on my iPad since it seems more like an actual whiteboard and collaborative space, but native sticky note pencil support is sorely missed for ideation. 

I’m new to Miro. This is a dealbreaker issue for me. Thanks for the comments. I’m going to check MURAL out instead. Disappointing that Miro still hasn’t introduced this 3 years later.

This is the only feature which im missing in Miro. I used to draw a ton of stuff on sticky notes, as it is more easy to get an overview from a wall of little drawings instead a sea of text.
Please implement soon

Hey Miro community!

Great news – we’ve been working hard on improvements for drawing on tablets, interactive displays, and mobile devices. One long awaited feature we’ve added is the ability to draw directly on objects, like sticky notes.

Now when you move or resize the sticky note, your drawing automatically adjusts too. No more hassle with selecting or grouping things together.

We heard your feedback about this, and we’re thrilled to finally make your drawing experience smoother. A big shoutout to all of you for your patience and valuable input.
We would love if you could give the new drawing experience a try and let us know what you think about it. Your feedback means the world to us.

Wonderful news, very useful - thank you, just tried it out on the mac app, with my xencelab pen. 

Is it safe to assume it will be launched on the iPad app soon too ?

Thank you again 

Wonderful news, very useful - thank you, just tried it out on the mac app, with my xencelab pen. 

Is it safe to assume it will be launched on the iPad app soon too ?

Thank you again 

Hi Davy, great to hear!

This experience is available on desktops, tablets, interactive displays, and mobile, so you can already try this out on your iPad!

One long awaited feature we’ve added is the ability to draw directly on objects, like sticky notes.

This is just perfect. That was the only feature which I was missing from the get go. 
Long long time ago, in a real world, I had a huge wall with sticky notes with only drawings on them. It was so easy to navigate on this wall, because the human eye can comprehend pictures better than a wall of text. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Still the old behaviour on the iPad app.. @Tolya Filippov - perhaps the roll out to the apps is coming soon ?