Add custom fields to a card

What I'm looking for is to be able to create custom fields for a card, so that whenever a user starts using that card they are reminded to fill out a few specifics. 

Right now the fields on a card are title, description, due date and assignee. I would like to use a card to for example create milestone templates for a planning board. As such I’d like to add things like ‘Goal’, ‘Measure’, ‘Dependencies’, etc. as fields that can be filled out on a card.

Currently the only way I know to do this is either a grouped template with text fields, but no matter how well I try to group and lock them, users always seem to be able to tear them apart so the template loses cohesion, falls apart and users get frustrated. Also having to click multiple times to actually add or edit text is not desirable.

I would love the ability to add custom fields to a card. For example, we’d make much better use of our Miro board if we had a field for Story and/or Feature ID, status (In Progress, Done, Blocked, Not Started, Cancelled), some sort of indication if its been pushed out or pulled in from it’s original spot, and effort estimates.

Something like this:

I just started to use cards in a more advanced way and was missing exactly this feature. We are trying to add categories and sub-categories to each card to more closely specify where the task (card) belongs to. Unfortunately, we currently have to abuse the tags (which are currently limited to 8 per card) which is not ideal.

+1 for sure!

Fully agree. We need to track multiple pieces of data associated with a card (what device was used, date information, root cause, SW version, etc). Without having these codified in fields, there’s no way to ensure users provide all the required information. It doesn’t need to turn into Jira, but it needs some more features than it currently has.

Whole heartedly agree. We’re using cards as ways to define requirements for objects and attributes, and right now we just have to list the various requirement fields. It would be great to be able to set custom properties/fields so we can standardize how our team fills out each requirement. It would also help us sort/filter/search for specific cards. 

I would love this feature! I use Miro for Object Oriented UX object maps, and custom fields would make Miro the hands-down best tool for that, IMO. But I’d also love it for more general use. Tags are great, but they’re flat and being able to create custom mini hierarchies would be huge. I wind up with a lot of cases where I have several axes of tags all mixed together, and it gets unwieldy. 

Here’s an example of something I tried to do in recent user testing -- create a single card for each repeated issue or theme, categorized with participant ID, location encountered, issue type. These things were all co-equal tags, and it just was too much to manage after a bit:

I’m also tracking a set of issues in a JIRA instance that’s so huge it’s impossible to find stuff. Right now I use a spreadsheet, but my ideation and mockups for each issue are in Miro. If I had custom values, I could attach cards with metadata to the whiteboard items for each issue and have everything in one place. I can think of tons of places where I would use custom values.

@Miro   any update on this?   The lack of this feature is the main reason that prevents us from seriously considering Miro for our projects.   

@Kiril Okun Not saying that this is a bad idea (it isn't, I would also like to have more things added to cards and have therefore upvoted this idea). But there are many other ideas with a lot more upvotes than 56 in a year. 😉

@Kiril Okun Not saying that this is a bad idea (it isn't, I would also like to have more things added to cards and have therefore upvoted this idea). But there are many other ideas with a lot more upvotes than 56 in a year. 😉

Fair enough.  I’ve looked at the most upvoted ideas and the top one with 939 votes is the Light / Dark mode.   Crowdsourcing feature prioritization to the users has it’s benefit, but sometimes it takes a visionary to push for a strategic feature that people might not even be thinking of right now.  As a product owner you probably struggle with these decisions yourself.   Having an ability to practice proper project management, design, development, testing, deployment directly in miro or being able to integrate miro with the already existing tools would be just such a long view feature.  Custom data fields is a must have for either.  And it’s definitely more valuable than the light/dark mode.  But, of course, it’s just my opinion.   

I guess the fact that there has been no response from anybody from Miro to several threads asking for this feature is my answer.  A real pity.

@Kiril Okun It’s a constant struggle! And I don’t envy the PMs and POs of Miro with all the versatility of the platform breeding a multitude of wish list features. 😅

Personally, I would love to extend the usability of the cards and fully migrate to Miro for everything related to product development. But I think it would require a huge effort from the Miro team to reach that state, and it seems like they are prioritizing other strategic bets.

One last thing: If I was a PM/PO at Miro, I would be absolutely horrified by the suggestion to crowdsource feature prioritization. Not sure that’s actually what has happened here, but it seems many people in the community consider their Wish List ideas to be feature requests, which at best is a failure in communications.

Update: It looks like Miro added Start date field:

I would love this feature, so we could use it for specific use cases like additional attributes in export, extended diagramming etc.

BUMP

I just saw the JIRA cards have custom field functionality.

Please add that functionality to normal cards. Feeling like a stepchild over here because we don’t use JIRA.

BUMP

I just saw the JIRA cards have custom field functionality.

Please add that functionality to normal cards. Feeling like a stepchild over here because we don’t use JIRA.

Strange question, but do we need to have a Jira account connected to Miro to use a Jira Card? We need custom field functionality to structure our data but we don’t use Jira either.

Strange question, but do we need to have a Jira account connected to Miro to use a Jira Card? We need custom field functionality to structure our data but we don’t use Jira either.

Sadly yes, it’s a separate app in the listing and the first thing it asks for when trying to use it is a sign on.