Accurate Sizing & Dimensions

As a designer, It frustrates me that I can’t create elements and shapes that are to the exact size and ratio that I want :expressionless: . More precision with this will help me create more accurately represented wireframes within Miro and help me when creating custom boards. It just seems like a simple feature that has been overlooked.

If it’s been done on purpose, then it’d be interesting to hear the rationale :grin:

I had to make a file on my computer of a 8.5x11 and 11x17 size, so I could bring them into Miro and make frames that size! Annoying to have to use this hack, especially when I know I’ll be exporting the frame to PDF later. 

Yes this is sorely lacking and my mind is boggled why we can’t do this. I was trying to resize a frame then I realised I cannot enter exact dimensions anywhere. 

I have seen recently that in the Frames tool, one of the default sizes is now 8.5x11, and you can turn it from portrait to landscape easily. I think this is a step in the right direction!

I also think that what we are asking for is dimensions, and not necessarily sizing. Since the Miro canvas is infinite, I think that sizing is all just relative. That being said, I would like a wider control of type sizes and connection line/border thicknesses, to account for this!

I vote for a 11x17 preset frame size as well!

I’d like the ability to define a custom ratio. 

Not drag out a frame but add to my gallery of frames and rectangles. 

6:7, 2.4:1 just as examples off the top of my had.

I actually need precise rectangles for a specific project. I am going to have to draw them in another app and import the image - that’s just a touch tedious.

Why can’t I just enter the ratio I want?

I used this to help me out when my professor gave me pixel dimension. Some of them do fall in line with the presets: https://calculateaspectratio.com/

I Agree to all of the comments made to Sizing Stickies/Frames.

A simple  button  “keep all stickies the same size ! “ 

And a similar option for frames “keep frames all the same size !”

And of course Custom Options.

On each frame a small drop down with these options.

Just An Idea (you get the picture!)

ok, thanks for these words here. now I know I don’t have to search for size options anymore. 

but this is not good. maybe I use adobe XD instead then. i wanted to use miro for wireframing, there are also some templates. but without being able to adjust the width height of an element it is really not helpful. 

Adding my voice to this feature request. We want to create firm-wide templates. Each time we create a 16:9 frame on a board it’s a different size. We want a standard bunch of templates with consistent font sizes. This is impossible when every time we create a new frame it’s a different size. I agree with the above hack. Having an image we import from Figma (or similar design tool) that is a certain size and resize the 16:9 frame to that size. 

Being able to define exact pixels for the size of an object would be a good additional feature to enable consistency and easier collaboration.

+1 will have to use Microsoft Visio to do our floor plan - wanted to use miro but can’t make a box to specific dimension. Eyeballing it won’t cut it. Would be okay even if it was just a setting too.

@Nik Wright As a workaround you could save a frame with a specifically sized image as an internal template. Just add the image of correct size to any board and put it in a frame. Then right-click the frame and choose “Save as template.” I have a specific board named Assets where I keep all things I want to save as internal templates. 🙂

You can also choose exact size of a frame through the Miro SDK:

"You can custom-size frames with our SDK (a software development kit). Click the address bar of your browser, press F12 or fn + F12 shortcut to open the browser developer console, open the Console tab. Type in or copy and paste loadSdk under all logs. Press Enter, and you should see the notification:

?name=inline1257196762.png
Type or copy the line: miro.board.widgets.create({type: "FRAME", x: 100, y: 100, width: 841, height: 1189}). 
Instead of 841 and 1189, you can put in the frame size you need. Press Enter."

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018261813-Frames

@Henrik Ståhl I am also trying to add a custom frame size of 700x1000 and have done your F12 developer trick above - but how do I then get that custom frame to my board? After i press ENTER after copying the developer text, nothing happens - and when i go to add a new frame on my board it’s not there as an option and a custom board just comes up a random size?

Any help gratefully received - thank you!

As a designer, It frustrates me that I can’t create elements and shapes that are to the exact size and ratio that I want :expressionless: . More precision with this will help me create more accurately represented wireframes within Miro and help me when creating custom boards. It just seems like a simple feature that has been overlooked.

If it’s been done on purpose, then it’d be interesting to hear the rationale :grin:

Same here! Frustrated 🙂!

A4 frame should be exported in A4 size and not in ¼ of A4 as it is now.

Adding my own wish for this. I’d love to be able to enter dimensions to create a perfect square or circle, or otherwise specifically define sizes of elements on the board. Eyeballing it isn’t accurate enough.

Hi @Liam Charnock,

Thank you and everyone for sharing your feedback. We released object dimensions, please see my post here for more information.

Best,

Turner  

IdeaDelivered