Ability to create flowcharts in the BPMN language in Miro

It would be great to be able to use Miro to create flowchart in the BPMN language and optimize my company's processes. Is there any possibility of doing this?

Hello!

Is any solution for BPMN present?

Without it miro is a useless stuff...

@Oleg Krutitskiy

Check earlier page in this post - there I have posted a demo of a plugin I built which gives you the BPMN icon library drag and drop from the side panel. 

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/ability-to-create-flowcharts-in-the-bpmn-language-in-miro-355

If you’d like to try it out - direct message me and I’ll give you the install link. 

cheers

max 

Mural haspublished a BPMN template some weeks ago, when will Miro follow?

https://www.mural.co/templates/business-process-model-diagram

@mlanders 

This is probably one of the most important features we’re missing and actually a potential reason to not use Miro but a competitor instead.

Which would be very sad as I like everything about Miro. But natively supporting BPMN is a must have in our opinion.

Is a feature like this on the roadmap by any chance?

Mural haspublished a BPMN template some weeks ago, when will Miro follow?

https://www.mural.co/templates/business-process-model-diagram

With a more or less good / compliant icon set… :-D

Lucidchart has a fully functional BPMN solution, not just images.

@mlanders

This is probably one of the most important features we’re missing and actually a potential reason to not use Miro but a competitor instead.

Which would be very sad as I like everything about Miro. But natively supporting BPMN is a must have in our opinion.

When you look at how Lucidchart works with fully functional Process Templates I wonder why anyone would bother with Miro. I’ll stick with Powerpoint and Lucidchart.

Check this: youtube.com/watch?v=VVkd-jqGuq4 

@Tom Fit  

IMHO, It’s been alluring, for me, from time to time, to think that process engineering or process modeling is the one and only true ‘business design’-  and yet, I keep having to remind myself that it seems more true to me, that the full domain of ‘business design’ is much larger, encompassing far many more stakeholders, users, disciplines, tactics, practices, vocabularies… its filled with ultimately much messier processes that need a blend of agility, creativity and high-usability of the shared thinking tools, so as to invite wide adoption and participation.   

It seems to me, Miro has shot for the much larger much messier bottom of this pyramid while the Lucid Chart and other engineer-first tools are aiming for the top.  The result, however, of a power-user first model, is an app that is pretty isolating to just those power users and inaccessible to many others.    

I suppose, while I love the engineering strength of other tools and definitely share some of your frustrations with Miro (and look forward to the coming additions), I would only in a very particular, rare instance, trade it for the camaraderie of millions of other happy active users, who are delightfully partying under the wide tent of high-usability at Miro. 

In short- I personally, and professionally, love these ‘hacks’.   

--

Hi Max, would you kindly share with me the installation for the BPMN symbols that you created and demo 5 months ago? Thank you very much for you help.

Hi Max, would you kindly share with me the installation for the BPMN symbols that you created and demo 5 months ago? Thank you very much for you help.

@Brandon Goh - To protect your privacy, we recommend not to share any personal information such as email addresses on the Community. I have therefore removed this information from your post and have shared your email address with @Max Harper via private message.

unfortunately

free Lucid has object limit and not suitable for creating big (or mid) diagram

@mlanders

When you look at how Lucidchart works with fully functional Process Templates I wonder why anyone would bother with Miro. I’ll stick with Powerpoint and Lucidchart.

Check this: youtube.com/watch?v=VVkd-jqGuq4 

I would go for lucidchart any day of the week if it was up to me. Now my company has decided on Miro but I keep arguing to revisit the decision and go for lucidchart and lucidspark instead. In my opinion they are playing a different game, a game I want to play.

BPMN is now available to Business and Enterprise plans within Shapes > All Shapes > Manage Shapes

https://miro.com/changelog#October-25-2021

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403634496402-Miro-for-mapping-diagramming

I have the consultant plan. I was even advised by the sales department of Miro about this subscription. The Consultant plan is for individual consultants. I have always used Smartdraw for BPMN but their online version is worse than Hell. And now I have to realize that with the Consultant plan you can't use this featcher at all. What a joke. But almost every consultant works with BPMN for his customers.

@christof and all --- Miro’s BPMN smart diagram tool is now available to ‘Consultant’ Plan.

@Max Harper Do you know if Miro has any plans to add the possibility to extract BPMN diagrams as XML (BPMN v2.0 compliant) file?

@Anton Bagaev   Glad you ask. :) 

I don’t work FOR Miro so I can’t speak with authority on that.

As a third party developer and full-time Miro user tracking this kind of thing, my reading of the tea-leaves is … ‘no, I don’t think so any time soon’… but its always worth asking and I’d strongly encourage opening a wish list item for this and post a link to that item back here.. so that BPMN folks can activate around it and vote it up. 

Also, unfortunately, Miro Platform doesn’t yet give developers on the platform access to the data that would allow us to build that for you. BPMN items on the board are of a type called a “Stencil”.  They are accessed through “Shapes” in the Miro UI, but they are different data type ultimately. They are most like “Wireframe” items, have similar affordances for users, where they are kind of a SVG-ish, configurable color + iconography, kind of item. But they are called a ‘stencil’ type.  

Currently … “Stencil” is not even on the list of supported/unsupported types in this little API/SDK roadmap. 😪
https://developers.miro.com/docs/miro-web-sdk-board-items-crud
‘Wireframe’ is at least on the list … but with all red ‘X’s = ‘not supported yet’. 

@Anthony Roux or other platform team-member,
is there a chance that ‘stencils’ will become ‘wireframe’ types and therefore be on this grid? Is there a plan to bring ‘stencil’ types into the scope of platform support? 

Just upgraded licence to use the BPMN template and very frustrated to find that it is not a real BPMN template!  Does not include fundamental elements like the different gateways and events types.  Without these it’s not BPMN and just another basic form of flow diagram.  Frankly I think calling this template BPMN and using it to attract business users is very misleading.  I really hope it will be enhanced to include the real BPMN library of elements sometime soon. 

@Aaron Lynch dis you try the multiple options that appear when you select BPMN element in the Miro canvas - ? when you select the item a thin horizontal menu pops up (‘context menu’, the one that, for example,  lets you change colors of shapes and text, etc). Try the options in the upper left of each gateway to explore all the variants and state indicators it provides. Would be good to know if those are not solving your need. 

Hi @Max Harper, I completed missed that!  Little demo video makes not mention of the “type” dropdown which I totally failed to see.  I was just looking at shape switch dropdown.  Problem solved and down to user error.  I retract my grumpy post above! Thanks very much for your help.  

@Aaron Lynch  Right on!  

@Turner Pijpers  perhaps you know some places in the BPMN stencil documentation where you can make this issue (last 3 posts above) less common. I’ve now helped a half dozen folks encountering this same issue. ✊

Any progress on this topic?  I’m about to recommend we switch to Lucid Chart which is fantastic with it’s icons & context menus….

IdeaDelivered