New App: Make The Estimation Process Simpler And More Inclusive

Show first post

34 replies

Userlevel 1

I love this for cards. Are there plans to let kanban templates total estimation points rather than count stories? That would be a gamechanger for us.

Thanks! We’re actively looking at potential improvements to the Kanban widget for planning/estimating/capacity measurement purposes. Stay tuned!

Userlevel 4

@Jasmine Friedrich that would be an interesting update to the Kanban function in MIRO if it was able to total based on SP.

I love this for cards. Are there plans to let kanban templates total estimation points rather than count stories? That would be a gamechanger for us.

Userlevel 1

I think that whomever initiates the voting session should have the ability to enable anonymous voting or by username. This way there is a choice. I can see both sides of the argument as to why anonymous and why some would prefer transparency.

We’re exploring some options for more configurability here – thanks again for the feedback!

Userlevel 4

@Peter Parkes  The opportunity for asynchronous voting is a great enabler here. Already provided this feedback before but I think that whomever initiates the voting session should have the ability to enable anonymous voting or by username. This way there is a choice. I can see both sides of the argument as to why anonymous and why some would prefer transparency.

Userlevel 1

The coffee cup is a signal which a team member would use to let the team know that they’ve been estimating for long enough and its time for a break (coffee or otherwise)

Got it – thanks! The way we’ve built the app also allows for asynchronous ‘voting’, and then synchronous agreement. You can start the process and let people vote in their own time, and then get together to discuss and agree estimates.

Multiple boards could be used but its a kludgy solution as I’d need to direct learners to go to a different board specifically for their breakout team and then come back to the main board. I’ve found that multiple boards tend to create a lot of confusion for learners. I’ve used links to make it easy to go from one to the other but it still isn’t as easy as doing it on a single board.

Very clear – thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Peter Parkes -

1. The coffee cup is a signal which a team member would use to let the team know that they’ve been estimating for long enough and its time for a break (coffee or otherwise)
  2. Multiple boards could be used but its a kludgy solution as I’d need to direct learners to go to a different board specifically for their breakout team and then come back to the main board. I’ve found that multiple boards tend to create a lot of confusion for learners. I’ve used links to make it easy to go from one to the other but it still isn’t as easy as doing it on a single board.

Kiron

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your feedback, Kiron! I lead Miro’s product teams in this area and it’s always great to hear from our users and community members.

It’d be great if the following changes were made to the cards:

• Replace 21 with 20 - normal estimating poker decks round up the numbers after 13
  • Add a 0, ½, 40, 100, infinity and coffee cup card

More estimate types and custom estimates are things we’re actively considering. What do you use the coffee cup for, out of interest?

Also, I wasn’t sure about this but can you have multiple simultaneous estimation sessions going on at the same time on one board or is it a single active session per board? The reason I ask is that when I teach this technique in classes I might have 3-4 groups and each would be sizing their work items separately from others, all on the same board.

Much like with our voting app, you can only have one session per board at a time. Would you be able to use multiple boards for this, or is there another constraint that prevents this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jennifer Yzelman -

It’d be great if the following changes were made to the cards:

• Replace 21 with 20 - normal estimating poker decks round up the numbers after 13
  • Add a 0, ½, 40, 100, infinity and coffee cup card

Also, I wasn’t sure about this but can you have multiple simultaneous estimation sessions going on at the same time on one board or is it a single active session per board? The reason I ask is that when I teach this technique in classes I might have 3-4 groups and each would be sizing their work items separately from others, all on the same board.

Kiron