Anonymous Guest Editors

• 17 April 2020
  • 33 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We are introducing anonymous Guest Editors – the quickest and easiest way to invite collaborators that don’t have the Miro account yet. 

Invite anyone outside Miro to collaborate with your team on your public board without any friction or additional costs. Guest Editors don’t have to sign in or sign up for Miro to have full access rights to the board that is shared with them via a public link. 

Organize remote meetings, brainstorming sessions, and workshops in minutes – simply make your Miro board public and share the link with workshop participants. 

Don’t worry about losing access to the board if you accidentally close the tab or refresh it – as long as the board is public, it will be shared with Guest Editors.

Learn more about anonymous Guest Editors in our Help Center article. 

Guest Editors are available for Team, Business, Enterprise, Consultant, and Education plans

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Just make sure you un-share the board once the collaboration with the Guests is completed to avoid the potential for the board to get hacked in case the public URL leaks...

How do i restrict it to only a few known collaborators once the board is made public?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Baljeet Kumar :

That was exact the reason why I created this wish:

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/password-protected-public-boards-350

And I would like to see the following for everyone (no matter if it’s a free - guest editor - or a not free - member - account) I invite to my board:

Michael

It's a pretty important question. Zoom already had to deal with some hackers that found ways to generate the meeting links on the free plans. They had people “bombing” the meetings because there was no password. Super important, if you are going to allow people to create content on a board, that it be protected with at least a password or some type of token authorization before the person can join. Otherwise, you risk having things posted on your board that you never imagined or wanted…

@mlanders Very good point you made. Thank you.

Hi, I’m new on Miro and am testing the “Teams” license features. 

Question :-

I’d want guest editors to have frictionless joining (no signup/signin) via a link. How can they join with a name, as opposed to being given random names such as  “Guest Innovator” or “Guest Explorer”?

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi there @Zachary! At the moment, guest editors can only get generated names. To collaborate with the real name user will need to sign up/sign in. Is that correct that you’d like a non-registered guest editor to participate using a preferred name of their choice? Your question sounds like a great feature request - you can post it on the Wish list: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32

Hey there,

I have the education account and I cant use the function for anonymous guest editors anymore.

Did miro closed this beta feature or might it be something else?

Thanks to all,

C

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hey there,

I have the education account and I cant use the function for anonymous guest editors anymore.

Did miro closed this beta feature or might it be something else?

Thanks to all,

C

Corinna, it seems like your account is one of a few that temporarily don’t have access to anonymous Guest Editors – and if that is the case, a fix is on its way. If you want to have our support team look into it for you, please, reach out to them at support@miro.com.

Hi 

I’m using Consultant account, would like to share board with Guest (able to edit) but it doesn’t seem i’m able to manage my board setting to “anyone with link” can edit, 

Help ~~ :(

OK, saw someone posted similar questions before, the feature on the App, but not web platform. 

Thank you :)

Hi Miro,

With the Enterprise Account, if anonymous guest editor feature is enabled via public link - is this link accessible via external users (outside the organisation) if we white listed the domain to only allow our internal email domains? We wish to use the guest editor feature however only with internal staff.

Thank you!

Jenny

Hi there :)

Really like the basic idea of the feature because it enables us to run our workshops properly. Problem is that I don’t currently see the “Can edit” feature for the public link. But I already contacted our admin to get in contact with you.

One thing that is critical for the success of that feature is the ability to password protect that link. Otherwise there’s always the risk of somebody getting access to a board who’s not supposed to, even if those links aren’t listed anywhere in the public.

Best Regards,

Shenja

Hi all,

Great feature.

I do have a problem: anonymous guest editors somehow are not able to copy paste sticky notes… Did anyone else bump into this problem? If yes, how can it be solved?

Thanks,

Jasper

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jasper -

Are you sharing it with full edit access for guest editors or only view or comment? Copy and Paste is only available for full edit guest editors. The usual click, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V command sequence should work as I just tested it on one of my boards accessing it as an anonymous guest editor.

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale 

Thanks for the rapid reply! I'm sharing with full edit access. And somehow it doesn't work… 

Update: the problem is gone when Miro is run on Chrome instead of Explorer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jasper -

That would be the problem then. As this Help Center article shows, there are a number of challenges with IE: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572814-Supported-Browsers

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale 

Thanks for sharing.

I'm also not able to properly do video chat with anonymous guest editors (tried it on several browsers, including chrome; and tried it on several computers and tablets). It loads extremely slowly, and only one person is visible… 

Does anyone have an idea what the issue could be?

Thank you!

I have invited a large number of people in my company to a planning session.  I want any of them that add, move or delete notes to have a license.  However, when I see a guest using the board, I cannot determine who that is so that I can get a license to them.  Is there a way to identify contact info for guests using the board?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have invited a large number of people in my company to a planning session.  I want any of them that add, move or delete notes to have a license.  However, when I see a guest using the board, I cannot determine who that is so that I can get a license to them.  Is there a way to identify contact info for guests using the board?

@Scott Killen - Besides them just telling you who they are, if they are signed into a Miro account profile, e.g., they signed up for Free Plan or are on a number of teams, then you will see whatever name they entered in their account’s Profile settings → Profile details:

Can we consider those with Miro Accounts of their own as Anonymous Guest Editors as well if we provide them with a board link that will allow them to edit? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@CJ Gomez - Yes, but with one small distinction. When someone with a Miro account is signed into the a browser/Miro app and uses your link to access your board, then they they will not be “anonymous” as their name will show up. Instead, they would just be considered a “guest editor”. Either way, anyone with the link (and optional password) will be able to edit your board. If you truly want everyone to be anonymous, then you will need to instruct them to access your board using a private/incognito browser window.

@Robert Johnson Thanks for the reply. Would guest editors incur additional costs in my Team Plan?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@CJ Gomez - Absolutely no charge!

As per the Collaboration with Anonymous Guest Editors help center article:

As long as you have set Anyone with the link to Can edit:

@Robert Johnson Thanks, Robert! With this, I’ll be able to collaborate with more people that have their own Miro accounts. :D