When to create multiple boards?

• 18 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

HI there, I am brand new to MIro.   Apologies if this has been answered somewhere, but I couldn’t find anything.

With Miiro’s endless board. . .  I wanted to ask the community if you have any general guidelines you use when planning when to use 1 board v. multiple boards within a project / engagement for example?  

I imagine there’s many ways to approach this, and am interested to hear different scenarios.

Thanks in advance,

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Jenny,

for me as user of the Consultant plan it makes sense to save a board for each client i have or other projects i am working with.

Here you can find more information to this:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018262033-Projects

Michael​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Michael’s strategy is a sound one, Jenny.

A lot depends on how elaborate or complicated the boards are. If there are tons of images or other “heavy” content in them, it can sometimes take a little while to load or refresh so I’ve found that for very intensive, heavy exercises, a separate board sometimes works better. 

I also prefer to use multiple boards when having separate groups/teams in a class - you can certainly send teams to different areas of the infinite canvas and then bring them back but if there isn’t a need to consolidate the work they’ve done, separate boards are cleaner.

If you do choose to go with separate boards, the strategy we used for user access was to set up separate Teams (we also have a Consultant plan) - one for each class session. Then, I grant access to a single Project within that Team to the class participants. That way, I don’t need to grant rights to each board separately. The users are also only defined within that Team so there’s no way they can go outside of that jurisdiction.

I hope this isn’t too confusing :wink:

Kiron