Web page capture FAULTY halted by Sign up for newsletter or subscription pop ups

Ive encountered these a few times. Whenever a website has a pop up page for newsletters / subscriptions / advertisements. It darkens the whole web page capture and only has the pop up window in 100% color and opacity 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@razonmas - Miro is capturing the webpage as it is being displayed by the host site. It is very unlikely they will take additional steps to analyze the returned code and for modal windows or popups and programmatically take actions on the site, followed by another capture. 

When these popups happen, you're better off to take screenshots of the website, e.g., Greenshot is free and does scrolling webpage captures. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Robert Johnson :

I’ve noticed the same with a Cookie-PopUp.

This always happens when you visit a Site the first time.

It should be possible that the Web-Capture-Tool “remembers” that it vistits the site a second or third time when I try capture the site the second time.

I have no idea if this is possible but it should be.

There are some websites that I captured where i get the Cookie-Popup instead of the Website although I’ve been there x-times with miro before ...

Michael

Userlevel 3

Hi! As a workaround, I sometimes take a screenshot of the web page, add that image to Miro, and make it link out to the website. Could something like that work for you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Robert Johnson:

I’ve noticed the same with a Cookie-PopUp.

This always happens when you visit a Site the first time.

It should be possible that the Web-Capture-Tool “remembers” that it vistits the site a second or third time when I try capture the site the second time.

I have no idea if this is possible but it should be.

There are some websites that I captured where i get the Cookie-Popup instead of the Website although I’ve been there x-times with miro before ...

Michael

A person on a computer visiting a website from their browser is not the same as Miro’s web page capture program loading a website programmatically, capturing a screenshot, and returning it to a Miro board. Miro’s program still does not know where to click to dismiss the message. 

The way that a website “remembers” that you have visited it before and therefore does not display the popup happens with a mix of cookies/sessions (client- and or server-side).

For the destination server to treat Miro’s web page capture tool as a “person” and “remember” them, Miro would have to create virtual instances for each web page capture session for each website visited. Then, conversations would have to take place to determine how this is implemented, e.g., do they map virtual session to a Miro user profile, e.g., what if one did want an action (e.g., popup) to take place on a site, but another user did not. On top of all of that, Miro still needs to build a complex algorithm to someone “act” as a real user who is first dismissing these popups.

Without a strict, universal standard of implementation for these types of popups, getting rid of these popups via the Miro web page capture tool will likely never happen. This is not to say that it is not possible, but this is not where Miro would focus their efforts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Robert Johnson :

If you search for web-capture-tools you can find one tool, that eleminates the cookie-window - ok … greys elements of the page out … but it’s much better than the web-page-capture tool that miro uses now.

It depends on the Partner miro uses and maybe miro should change it’s partner to this one:

https://screenshots.cloud/

This is not the best solution but a much better than miro has now!

Try it for yourself on different pages - it works

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Robert Johnson & @Richard Kasperowski & @razonmas :

I have found one that can do the Webcapture work without Cookie and newsletter window but with watermarks for the free demo version … but I’m shure if we search long enough we can find one.

Please @Robert Johnson Could you forward this information to the miro-programers, so that they can search for an other Webpage-Capture-Tool:

https://grabz.it/

and they say, that the screenshot was taken with their removal-tool:

And I am shure if some of the programmers f.e. @Max Harper are looking into the code

f.e. in the Site https://screenshots.cloud/

you can see the different code-languages and they can find the code element that is necessary to get the result of grabz.it (and that they used)

You’re right: It’s not in miros hand to do this programming - but it is in theirs hand to change the plattform they are offering to us, so we’ve got a lot of more freedom if we capture websites.

Best

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Robert Johnson & @Richard Kasperowski & @razonmas :

The support of https://browshot.com/ - another company that offers a Web-Capture-Tool answered to my question that their tool can do this …

More information can be found here:

https://browshot.com/blog/2020/12/hide-popups-overlay-ads-automatically.html

So - it is a question which tool we use for web-capturing:

@Mrioneers: Please would you change your web-capturing partner or ask for additional tool option for the tool that is a part of miro. - This would be really great: :boom::dizzy:

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@mlanders - Those options look promising - nice find!

@Marina - Perhaps you could share this post internally?

From a quick test of GrabzIt and ScreenshotsCloud, I was able to remove email sign-up modal for https://www.atlas-machinery.com/ - in GrabzIt this was done using the noads flag. Perhaps the Miro’s existing solution has a similar option that just needs enabling.

Before

And after...

GrabzIt

ScreenshotsCloud

Userlevel 3

I simply use Shift-Command-5 on my Mac and get screen captures for free. Any way you do it will work. Enjoy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Richard Kasperowski - Thanks for sharing the macOS shortcut. While we’re on the topic, the Windows 10 shortcut is Win-Shift-S.

However, it appears that both the macOS and Windows screen captures do not offer scrolling captures, which is key component of the Miro web page capture feature. I have never used macOS, so if it does capture a full web page via a scrolling capture, please let us know.