Answered

Team membership removed my free boards allocation

Hello Miro

I am only slightly pulling my hair out over this. I have a Miro account that is currently on the free tier. I have recently been added to an external team (by a 3rd party) that I am collaborating with on a project. This team is also on the free tier, and they have 3 boards on there already.

I want to now create a board of my own, for personal and unrelated things, but it seems like I can’t because the boards on this other team counts towards my own allocation?

Is this supposed to work like this? 

Why can’t I create my own boards outside of the team that I have been added to? What would have happened if I had a board on my profile already, and then got added to this team? Would Miro have deleted my board or something?

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 18 August 2020, 13:46

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Daniel Louw -

unfortunately this is working by design. Your only option would be to leave the team you’ve been added to so that you can create boards within your own team. Miro wouldn’t delete boards if you were over the limit, but it would disable/deactivate them.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kiron Bondale & @Daniel Louw: I believe I am a bit stumped over this as I am not seeing the same behavior.

@Daniel Louw: Please correct me if I missing something.

First, some assumptions - your Free Plan:

1. has not reached it’s free editable board limit of 3; and
  2. you are on a newer account that only allows for 3 Editable boards, unlike an older account such as mine that allows for 5 (I created my account in March of 2018).

Assuming those are correct statement, let’s get back to your scenario.

1. You have your own Free Plan team - let’s call your team:Team Daniel.
  2. You were invited/added as a Team Member to another Free Plan team - let’s call that one: Team Other.
  3. Team Other has reached it’s free editable board limit of 3 (assuming it is a newer plan and grandfathered in from a 5 editable boards).
  4. Now you want to ‘create a board of my own, for personal and unrelated things’ - I’ll stop here and assume that you are referring to doing this on Team Daniel? If yes, and you still have room for another Free editable board, then you should be able to create on and edit it.

I have tested this with my old 5 editable boards Free Plan team (let’s call the Team Old) and a newer Free Plan team that only allows for 3 editable teams (let’s call this one Team New).

My scenario:

1. Team New has three boards created.
  2. Team Old only has four (I still have room for one more editable board).
  3. From Team Old, I select New board (Note: In newer accounts, I believe the wording is Create a shared board) and I get the following message:

I select Create a board anyway and it is created and now all 5 of my boards are still editable.

However, from my newer account, when I have two boards and create a third, I do not get that warning.

I wondered if I was able to do this as I was testing between an older Free Plan and newer Free Plan, so I tested with my spouse’s newer Free Plan by adding her as Team Member to Team New and it is working (I can create boards from her free plan, although Team New is all out of editable boards.

So, @Daniel Louw, now I wonder if you are trying to create a board in Team Daniel, but are seeing the following message?:

If you are seeing this, it just means that anyone on your Team Daniel will be able access this board, and not those on Team Other.

In summary, I don’t believe that the boards created on a team impact your ability to create your free 3 editable boards.

Again, anyone correct me if I’m wrong or totally not getting what @Daniel Louw is saying haha.

@Kiron Bondale Thanks for the response. I suspected this was by design.

@Rob Johnson Thanks for the super detailed response here! I’ve actually not tested this further as I do not need this new board anymore.

I think your summary is correct, but there is one step that I’ve done: I’ve deleted Team Daniel before I got added to Team Other. Currently on my account I only see the Team Other.

I think this is where the issue lies? I cannot create a new free team anymore, because there is already one connected to my profile? If I had left Team Daniel untouched then I think I would have not experienced this confusion?

So what I probably need to do is remove myself from Team Other, re-create Team Daniel, and then request the Team Other owner to re-add me to it.

It will therefore be nice if Miro can attach something like a pseudo “personal Team” to every account, that follows the same rules as a regular team, but it cannot be deleted or something.

Also, because I signed in with my work address, and a couple of our designers already use Paid Miro, there is a team associated with our email domain, that Miro attempted to auto-add me to when I created my account.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kiron Bondale Thanks for the response. I suspected this was by design.

@Rob Johnson Thanks for the super detailed response here! I’ve actually not tested this further as I do not need this new board anymore.

I think your summary is correct, but there is one step that I’ve done: I’ve deleted Team Daniel before I got added to Team Other. Currently on my account I only see the Team Other.

I think this is where the issue lies? I cannot create a new free team anymore, because there is already one connected to my profile? If I had left Team Daniel untouched then I think I would have not experienced this confusion?

So what I probably need to do is remove myself from Team Other, re-create Team Daniel, and then request the Team Other owner to re-add me to it.

It will therefore be nice if Miro can attach something like a pseudo “personal Team” to every account, that follows the same rules as a regular team, but it cannot be deleted or something.

Also, because I signed in with my work address, and a couple of our designers already use Paid Miro, there is a team associated with our email domain, that Miro attempted to auto-add me to when I created my account.  

That’s exactly it! You would need to leave Team Other, then re-create Team Daniel, and then have someone on Team Other re-add you. There has actually been a number of posts about this scenario. If you do decide to take these steps, there is some even more detailed info in this post, most importantly that, once you leave Team Other, your Miro account will most likely not load all of the sudden. You will then need to login through a private/Incognito browser session, create your new Free Plan team, and then all should be fine (read the post).

A number of us on this community forum agree with your comments about Miro doing more to stop this scenario from happening in the first place. Users would call this a bug, but marketing teams would call it a feature.

Thanks guys <3

Super stoked that we got behind this thing so quickly. I won’t go as far as calling it a bug, but its definitely not a feature!

Unless it was Miro’s product owners’ intention to punish users if they delete their default team.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You’re welcome!

Yes, perhaps I should have said that it is gap. The bug comes into play once you are removed from all teams and Miro won’t even load. However, I can see why this has a lower priority on the backlog.

@Robert Johnson - just so I’m clear, if I created an account because I was invited to Team A, do I have to leave Team A, create my own Team B (for my 3 free boards) and then ask to be re-invited to Team A? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mary Beth - You got it!

It sounds like you are only a member of one team (Team A), but if you are a member of more, you would have to leave them all in order to be prompted to create your own team - e.g., my Miro account profile is currently a member of ten teams:

If I was to leave all of these teams, then I would be prompted to create my own Free Plan team

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mary Beth - And as long as no one deletes any boards that you are the  owner of between the time you leave the team and are added back, you will be able to Duplicate the board(s) by right-clicking on them from the team dashboard and then you can move the duplicates to your Free Plan team using the “Move to account” option - again by right-clicking on any boards that you are the owner of.

Great. I haven’t created any boards in that team, so I’m good. OK - so I go into Team A, delete my profile, and then login again to be the owner of my own three boards? Then the Team A owner can re-invite me back into that team?  I don’t have to create a new login, correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mary Beth - As soon as you leave Team A and are no longer a member of any team, Miro should prompt you to create your own team - no sign out required and no new account profile is required either. 

THANK YOU!!!!

Hi, I was the creator of the team. And accidentally left the team. How do I restore access to my boards? please help me

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi, I was the creator of the team. And accidentally left the team. How do I restore access to my boards? please help me

You will need to ask the Miro support team about this.

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-Contact-Miro-Support