Question

Selection Tool (V) not working

I was cruising along and all was well… when all of the sudden the select tool stopped working as usual. For some reason ( while in mouse navigation mode ) left clicking the canvas alway uses the Pan Tool rather than drawing a selection box as expectd. So..

1. Select the selection tool or push V on the keyboard while in mouse navigation mode
  2. click on canvas holding down the button and dragging
  3. instead of dragging out a selection box the tool mysteriously changes to the Pan Tool and pan’s the keyboard???

Previously I would use space bar to pan the keyboard. Now it’s just broken? 

Thanks for your help in advance. 

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Paul Kooi - This happens to me sometimes too after a board has been open for a while or multiple browser tabs are open, browser memory is getting low, etc. Try closing the browser and launching it again. If you’re using the desktop application, it can happen with that interface too.

Thanks @Robert Johnson. Unfortunately, I’ve tried refreshing. Logging out and then back in etc. All the standard debugging. This is all through Chrome by the way. What’s interesting was that it was working perfectly for about thirty minutes and then all of the sudden, what I think is a bug, appeared and now I can’t get it to revert. 

It almost feels like I hit a hotkey inadvertently and toggled into a different mode or something? Very bizarre? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Paul Kooi - It could be a browser extension. Have you tried disabling them all (or opening an incognito session and logging in from there, which usually disables all extensions in the process).

So this is still happening two days later?

I keep having the same issue.

I’m in the process of switching from awwapp to miro, so I can’t say what it used to be two weeks ago.

When the select tool is active, unless I click on an existing object, a left click&drag turns the cursor into the hand icon for panning the board.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Dejan M.

When the select tool is active, unless I click on an existing object, a left click&drag turns the cursor into the hand icon for panning the board.

This is expected behaviour. If you click on a blank spot on the board Miro temporarily switches tour cursor to pan/move mode.

OK, didn’t know that. So, shift+drag for selection box, got it.

I had gathered from your responses to the OP’s original question that this was a glitch of some sort.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Sorry for any confusion folks. When I first read the title, I went down the path that the hotkey (V) was not working. Sometimes after I have had a board/multiple browser tabs open for a while, the using the V hotkey (or clicking on “select” from the content creation toolbar) stops toggling between select/pan mode.

After reading this post again, when you are in mouse navigation mode, it is expected behavior that clicking a blank spot on the board with your mouse should pan the board. If you want to select multiple objects, you will need to hold down the Shift key before you click and drag.

If you are in touchscreen navigation mode and using a mouse, the board will also pan. However, if you are in Trackpad mode and using a mouse, clicking and dragging will select objects:

(Note: I am not holding down the Shift key)

Also, both the V and H keys will toggle between select and pan:

Some relevant Help Center articles:

OK, didn’t know that. So, shift+drag for selection box, got it.

I had gathered from your responses to the OP’s original question that this was a glitch of some sort.

Hi I also just liked the usual click and select, the shift and select in not intuitive at all. 

Sorry for any confusion folks. When I first read the title, I went down the path that the hotkey (V) was not working. Sometimes after I have had a board/multiple browser tabs open for a while, the using the V hotkey (or clicking on “select” from the content creation toolbar) stops toggling between select/pan mode.

After reading this post again, when you are in mouse navigation mode, it is expected behavior that clicking a blank spot on the board with your mouse should pan the board. If you want to select multiple objects, you will need to hold down the Shift key before you click and drag.

If you are in touchscreen navigation mode and using a mouse, the board will also pan. However, if you are in Trackpad mode and using a mouse, clicking and dragging will select objects:

It was not like this until recently, on my pc I could easily select without shift.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Hannes Botha - 

OK, didn’t know that. So, shift+drag for selection box, got it

the shift and select in not intuitive at all

Perhaps not intuitive for you, but this is a very common shortcut for many visual-based editing programs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It was not like this until recently, on my pc I could easily select without shift.

For as long as I have been using Miro, you need to hold Shift to multi-select by dragging when your navigation mode is in Mouse or Touchscreen mode. If you are able to click-and-drag to multi-select without holding the Shift key, then your navigation mode is set to Trackpad.