[RESOLVED] Sharing board content with anonymous guests

Userlevel 3

I have completed all the recommended steps to share my board with guest users and that part works - but no matter what I do the download option on embedded PDF documents remains greyed out - they can view the document but can’t download it.

Can anyone help?

Robert Johnson 2 years ago

Latest update:

I'm glad to tell you that our team has just released the fix for publicly shared boards, so now guest users should be able to download content from your boards without signing into Miro (please, make sure to set the Board Content Settings to Anyone with the board access).

I have tested this on my end and anonymous/unregistered users are now able to download files again.

View original

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Surely people with a Miro account that they aren’t signed into should still have the choice to log in to the board without signing in?

They do. Try it from an incognito window.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - The overall experience for non-signed in users, i.e., anonymous guests, needs to be more client-focused and less Miro-growth focused. If you agree, I would suggest that you vote for my idea:

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/configure-board-defaults-and-remove-ads-2675

Userlevel 3

Yes they can - but on a mobile the link automatically takes them not to the board, but to their log in screen

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - When I browse to the board link on my Android phone, in the Chrome mobile browser, and I have a password on the board, I get this:

Userlevel 3

No password on the board. 

The link literally takes him to the sign in board with option to sign up or sign in - he has to close that window, open an incognito window and copy and paste the link to get in

by the way - agree with your suggestion and have added my comment to it. Don’t know how to vote

Userlevel 3

Dur. Voting was easy. Sorry. Have now voted 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

As long as:

1. the board’s Share settings are set to one of the following three options:
  2. And they are clicking on a board link, e.g., it has “/board/” in the link, following by “o9J_”:

Then then the board should open as the board is publicly accessible.

If any of your board participants are being forced to either sign in or go through an incognito window, then a separate Miro support ticket should be opened.

Userlevel 3

I have no idea how to raise a ticket...but yes the link clicks him to the sign in page - and the linkdoes include the string you described 

Userlevel 3

In fact if I log out of my Miro account the linkforces me to the log in screen too

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

learning center → Get help → Support:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Here’s the full How to Contact Miro Support Help Center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-Contact-Miro-Support

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

In fact if I log out of my Miro account the linkforces me to the log in screen too

What are the current sharing settings of the board?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The only scenario where I am able to force your board to prompt me to sign in first is if I select the “Miro mobile app” as the destination when clicking the link from my mobile Gmail app AND I am not currently signed in to my account in the mobile app - apparently you cannot open a board anonymously in the Miro mobile app.

Userlevel 3

I’m gonna work on that being a rare scenario. 
my mobile didn’t ask whether I wanted to open in the app or not. It just went to the sign in screen

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

So far, is this only happening for you and your husband? If so, are you both connected to the same network before you go onto the internet? Perhaps there is firewall or VPN software interfering?

Userlevel 3

UPDATE

Replay from Miro:

The thing is, that in order to download board content, Guest editors need to be signed into Miro. This is also highlighted in our Help Center article about Board Content Settings:
?name=inline23820978.png
We're sorry if it causes any inconvenience for you! I'm going to share your feedback with our Product team to make sure they are aware that this behaviour confused you. 

Userlevel 3

Response from me:

Hi

This answers my question - but doesn’t solve my problem.  I don’t want to force my guests to create a Miro account.  Last week we had to ditch an entire workshop because each participant who needed to join had to sign in and their firewall wouldn’t accept the email from Miro with their code - which is also a process I don’t recall when I first signed up.

I am trying to use Miro with my clients because I love it - but I have now had 4 clients who have asked NOT to use it because of such issues as this.  I think Miro will sell itself or be sold on by paid up users - you don’t need to force everyone to sign up and in fact by doing so you are putting potential users off.  In my case the vast majority of people you are forcing me to get signed up will NEVER use Miro again as they are front line workers - so what’s the point - and you are losing sales with the overarching organisation because it’s too difficult to get people in.

Please reconsider - you have just rendered what should have been an easy access noticeboard/community board for busy emergency service workers - giving them the ability to download training content for themselves whilst on the go - into a complex process that will put many of them off using it.  Not good Miro

Rachel

Userlevel 3

Aside from mentioning that calling your customer “confused” isn’t great practice - I’ve pointed out that using the word “registered” once in the Board Content page does not escape this fact:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - Wow. This is VERY disappointing news!

We're sorry if it causes any inconvenience for you! I'm going to share your feedback with our Product team to make sure they are aware that this behaviour confused you. 

calling your customer “confused” isn’t great practice

Yes, 100% agreed! What is confusing is the lack of change management. In addition to the conflicting wording you have pointed out around “Anyone with the board access”, surely there are a number of other wording instances that will continue to contradict the system behaviour and confuse people.

I see that they have caught another one in the past hew hours by updating the Collaboration with Guest Editors Help Center article as per the below screenshot.

I’m just at a loss for words. This is very disappointing.

I suppose that you will be forced to use a service like Google Drive (who still allows for ANYONE with the link) to view and download a file. You could add your files to Google Drive and link to them from the board. 

Userlevel 3

I’m gonna try to get people to log in - but to do so they have to get past that annoying request to set up a team - which is nonsensical but the files will also be accessible via the client intranet so can always link there too. 

shame tho. And that addition is clearly in response to my complaint. And it’s still not clear

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Oof.  This is a really big deal.  I have been working on a project to use Miro as a central hub to house learning content for a large global humanitarian network.  Users will almost always be guests only and will join the board the sole purpose of downloading content.  I am going to need to rethink our whole approach.  I’m glad you both caught it early @Rachel Jackson and @Robert Johnson 

@Alisa Oyler take note...

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Interesting that as an anonymous user, when I try to download I get this notice, which is apparently not true!

Userlevel 3

Response today from Miro

"I've shared your feedback with our Product team and we have already discussed the issue. We do acknowledge that for Guest editors to be able to download board content is important part of your use case (for hosting meetings & workshops), so I'm glad to tell you that the team have made a decision to roll this change back, so Guest editors will soon be able to download board content again without the need to sign in (however, I'm afraid that we can't share any ETA at the moment).

Thank you a lot for helping us to make Miro better! Please, be assured that your feedback is always much appreciated and reaches the right people."

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Latest update:

I'm glad to tell you that our team has just released the fix for publicly shared boards, so now guest users should be able to download content from your boards without signing into Miro (please, make sure to set the Board Content Settings to Anyone with the board access).

I have tested this on my end and anonymous/unregistered users are now able to download files again.

Userlevel 1

Very helpful, thank you!