Performance issues when collaborating with ~50 people

• 14 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello!

We are using Miro for PI (program increment) planning every couple of months.  We have everything inside one board and typically 2500-3500 objects in total in the board.  50 - 60 people are part of the planning.

For most of us, Miro works “ok” but 10-20% of people are experiencing performance issues, which obviously hinder the user experience and has got me thinking about alternatives:

1. parts of the board loading slowly
  2. slow navigation around the board owing to performance
  3. general slowness / lags when compared to using a smaller board with less people collaborating

From the little testing I have done, it seems that running Miro on Chrome is most efficient and even better than using the Miro app, especially assuming that a Google Meet is ongoing in Chrome.  This article - https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013588560-Tips-to-improve-board-performance - had some general tips, a couple of which I can perhaps try, but nothing that specific about browser recommendations in relation to performance.

Someone suggested that we split up the board but I am rather reluctant to consider that since having everything in one place makes it much easier to use.

All practical tips and recommendations are warmly received :)

Cheers, Rob

4 replies

Thanks Kiron.  I’ll definitely add the ‘turn off the collaborator cursors’ to the list of tips for folks experiencing performance issues next time round.  Cheers, Rob

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Rob Curtis -

Images (and dense ones) will definitely be slower than the plain text for sticky notes but unless there is a ridiculously large number of those, performance shouldn’t be too bad. It is interesting that you are finding performance to be better via the browser than the desktop app as I’ve usually seen the opposite.

I’d also recommend that everyone turn off the collaborator cursors option as I’d guess that will also chew up a fair number of cycles.

Kiron

Hey Kiron,

Mostly just sticky notes and grid lines on team / program templates that I have put together.  There are also typically pictures copied and pasted into frames for something fun during the planning.  Do a bunch of JPGs or PNG files really affect the performance so much?

I have some pdf files pasted into the page so next time round I’ll switch to SVGs.

Cheers, Rob

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Rob Curtis -

Given that you are doing PI planning, are you just using sticky notes and lines or are there any other “richer” shapes in use? If there are any images, I’d suggest reducing their density/size as much as possible to reduce and rendering times.

Kiron