Miro for Online Courses - Template Copying

• 16 April 2020
  • 8 replies

I am a long time mind mapper, but new to Miro and trying to figure out the best plan for me and what problems it might solve.

1. Coaching: I am a time management coach and work with clients around the world. Would the client need to be a user as well to work together on a mind map? If so, could I create my own templates that they could then download and access with a free Miro account (I assume many would eventually upgrade).
  2. Online Courses: I see some people putting workshops in Miro. Could I use Miro as a LMS system (read only). Once again, could they download templates I provide?

Thanks for your help.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@CaptainTime -

1. If the clients were set up as users within your own Miro team, then yes, you could create a shareable template and they would be able to use it if they had their own accounts. Alternately, you could make the template available to the Miro community and then it would be available to pretty much anyone.
  2. You don’t have to provide users with edit access on existing boards, but if they can create a new board, then they can add any public or shared template to their board.

There is another discussion thread and question out there as to whether board backups can be used by a completely different Miro account - if the answer to that question is yes, that would give you another option. Rather than creating a template, just backup your board and provide the RTB file to the client. They would then restore it.

Kiron

Sadly, this would get very expensive if I also have to make each of my coaching clients a user as well at $10 a month in order to share boards and templates with them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@CaptainTime 
There could be a workaround with templates:

You can create templates.

Bring them as frames into your board.

Set a task into your Visual-Notes section exactly for this frame(s)

Then your client can go on till your next appointment on his free access

When you give your client a day pass he is able to switch between his free account (when  he got one) and your board.

He has to log into your board / copy the elements and switch to his board and paste it into his free account board.

That could be a way that he can get the elements you have created for him into his free account.

Michael

@CaptainTime 
There could be a workaround with templates:

You can create templates.

Bring them as frames into your board.

Set a task into your Visual-Notes section exactly for this frame(s)

Then your client can go on till your next appointment on his free access

When you give your client a day pass he is able to switch between his free account (when  he got one) and your board.

He has to log into your board / copy the elements and switch to his board and paste it into his free account board.

That could be a way that he can get the elements you have created for him into his free account.

Michael

I will play with that a bit and see how it works @mlanders . 

Could the Consultant plan be a workaround for this?

I see a Consultant plan can have unlimited public boards and that it can invite guest editors to edit them. As long as the link isn’t public, I could give each client their own link to their own board I created from the template.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@CaptainTime :

Yes in the Consultant plan you’ve got unlimited boards.

You can invite each of your clients into your boards you create out of a template and in each of them you have access to your templates with a click of your mouse.

When you’ve invited them with editor rights you’ve got three options:

• Guest editor with a link that could be reached by everyone who knows this link or who has found out which board is public of your boards (You can switch this board off from public access any time you need)
  • Day-Pass-Access: Only your invited person got access to his / her board
  • Add this person to your team and pay additional for monthly access.

Additional you can invite this or more person(s) with limited rights (comment / view) into your board and give them moderated access for instance when you’re teaching a class or something like that.

Often in my settings i invite my clients as a non-editor. Then they get “homework” and i switch them into Day-Pass Users because they should go on working on their board.

Michael

So @mlanders if I am on the consultant plan, create a Miro board, make it public and ONLY share the link with my client as an editor, no one else can access the template unless I or the client shares the link?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @CaptainTime , you are correct. Only those with the link can access that board when you set up guest editors.  This is great for one-off workshops or limited engagements. Each of the guests is anonymous though, so if you have more in-depth work required to be done over a longer period, you might want to consider the day passes or full monthly membership.