Limit Access to active Academy Members

• 5 September 2021
  • 2 replies

I am using Miro as a base to share my courses with my academy customers.

As I am on a consultant plan I can share the boards, and any guest with the URL can duplicate the board for themselves. That’s great functionality.

Now I would like to limit the access and visibility of the board(s) in my repository to active customers. As long as that person is a paying customer that person can access my boards. 

It is ok if a person has made a duplicate version of a board while the person was a paying customer. But I want to deny them access to any boards in my central repository. Even if that person still has stored a valid URL of a board out of my academy.

Can I somehow create a group “active customers” and assign that group with access rights to my boards? I would then have to find a way of how to add and remove users from the group, but that would be easier.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Frank Welsch-lehmann

Can I somehow create a group “active customers” and assign that group with access rights to my boards? 

Unfortunately, the only way you can give a registered Miro account holder non-team access, i.e., not using public/anyone with the link access, to a board is by adding them directly to a board with View or Comment access. While this involves more work than creating a group, it does force you to be explicit in which boards you are sharing. Using this method over public/anyone with the link access is also more secure as you are in complete control over who can access the board whereas with public/guest access, anyone with the link (and password, if set) can access the board - no Miro account is required.

Sharing the board with another registered Miro user

From the board’s Share settings:

Give then Comment or View access - in your specific use case, you would likely not want Comment unless you are sharing a unique board for each client:

Once you complete the above, your clients will now see the team in which the board resides show up in their Miro dashboard.

You will also see them as a Free license users in your Miro team settings, e.g., when I added you to one of my boards as a Viewer:

To breaks this link/end sharing,

1. you can delete them from the board
  2. you can delete them from the team from the above screenshot - this would remove them from all boards you have added them to
  3. they can Leave your team on their own.

Tip: Because the team name where the board(s) reside will now show up in your client’s Miro dashboard, I would suggest either renaming your team or creating a new team in your Miro account and giving it a relevant name, e.g., Frank Consulting Inc. - one benefit of the latter approach is that having all of these boards in this separate team could help you track which ones you are sharing in this manner.

Consider this: If you do give multiple clients access to a single board, if they are both on the board at the same time, they will see each other’s avatars in the participants pane of the board, e.g., both of these accounts were on the board as viewers and can see each other’s Miro account profile name. I just wanted to point this out in case anyone is concerned with keeping their clients 100% private.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Robert, this help a lot!