How does a Team Admin delete another members' board?

Userlevel 2

We’ve just started using Miro at the company I work for in the last 3 months or so, and cannot find a way for our Project Manager to delete others’ boards / projects in our Miro account / team. Based on the documentation I’ve found on Miro’s site, it seems that Team Admins are not really admins at all, as only board owners are able to delete or backup their boards.

This makes sense from an ownership standpoint, however, it leaves our workspace cluttered with rogue / old boards. Our Team Admin shouldn’t have to remove the member from the Team entirely just to Administrate their boards, and manually reaching out to these team members occupies time in our work day because many team members are remote.

Questions for the Miro Team:

• Can we get a more granular permission system so those with the Team Admin role can actually, you know, administrate the team / account?
  • Or is this only possible if we have Company Admins through an Enterprise level account?
  • Or will deleting & backing up boards forever be limited only to the board owner? (If so, we’re going to have to look for a replacement because that doesn’t work for us.)

Marina 3 years ago

Hi there,

I hear you all! Please feel free to upvote the idea here - https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/delete-a-board-not-owned-by-administrator-352 and add your comments to that thread as well.

Thank you :slight_smile:

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Marina - 

The ability to do basic “cleanup” on an account is not a differentiator which would convince a customer to switch to a higher tier plan. If anything, the lack of such cleanup capability would be a detractor. For the product management folks in the group, Kano would have called this a Basic Need :grinning: .

I’d strongly recommend making it a standard feature for ALL plans.

Kiron

Userlevel 1

@Marina. I can’t agree more on that. Deleting boards should be a default feature for Team Admin regardless the Pricing Plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Marina -

It would be great if this was also added to the Consultant plan as over time you can get a tremendous number of boards created by different clients and the ability to delete those would be helpful.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Erik Wright, thanks for sharing your use case! You are right, for now, only board owners can delete their boards.

The good news - we are currently working on the functionality for Company Admins on the Enterprise Plan to be able to manage content within the organization. :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi there,

Yes, I hear you. I will forward your feedback to the relevant team.

Agree with @Kiron Bondale this needs to be in the Consultant plan too.  Desperately need the ability for Company Admin to be able to maintain and tidy up at the very least (ideally Team Admins too)

@Marina when is this coming?

Let’s all upvote this to end the madness https://community.miro.com/ideas/delete-a-board-not-owned-by-administrator-352

The fact that so called “admins” are having to apply a workaround simply to delete unwanted boards they do not own after well over 2 years of threads highlighting this issue is borderline ridiculous.

The work arounds appear to be, remove the user who owns the boards or projects you want to delete as an ADMIN cleaning up the workspace, then invite the removed user back to rejoin the team and transfer ownership of all of their wanted boards/projects/custom templates back to them. 

Simply mind blowing. 

@Miro Support Team As a TRUE workspace admin, we would like (read: NEED) the ability to reassign ownership of any board or project within our TEAM.

Thanks in advance for allowing this much needed functionality.

Ridiculous that this basic feature is not available.  

Userlevel 1

As a team admin, I also need this….too many empty and unused boards. As admins, we should be able to delete boards, projects...

Hello! 
To those still searching for a solution how to delete boards that are created randomly and then “block out” other boards to the view only function: You still can't delete a board if you are not the owner, but you can delete the member and their content from your team. (Boards > Team > Users > Select User > Delete User and content) This way those boards get erased and if needed you can re-invite the member to your team. 

Cheers!

@Marina - 

I’d strongly recommend making it a standard feature for ALL plans.

Education too. The first thing a student does is make their own board, poke around and then abandon it. I have tried making and sharing sandbox boards just to reduce the clutter, but I agree this is a pretty core need for administration.

Hi there,

I hear you all! Please feel free to upvote the idea here - https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/delete-a-board-not-owned-by-administrator-352 and add your comments to that thread as well.

Thank you :slight_smile:

That post is regarding deleting boards, not projects, but I’m shocked to find out that this wasn’t an option either for a Team Admin. This isn’t some obscure suggestion in need of an upvote, it is core functionality that, I assume, can be solved on your end at the click of a button.

Our company has used Miro for only a couple of weeks and the projects titled “New project” are piling up. A lot of people new to Miro clicks on “+Add” and don’t expect a new project to appear until you press “Done”, they think it’s cancelled when you press the X. It’s standard to press X to cancel an action, but unbeknownst to them they accidentally added another “New Project” that I can’t delete.

Please fix the UX concerning adding new projects, and I can’t believe I have to ask for this but please give admin control for the admin.

@Marina. I can’t agree more on that. Deleting boards should be a default feature for Team Admin regardless the Pricing Plan.

I STRONGLY agree! This should not be limited to Enterprise plans. Smaller teams need this ability, too.

Same here. Needs to happen soon. 

Hi 

Just started using Miro with our company and I’m a bit stunned that this isn’t a standard admin feature. We only have a few boards and projects right now, but already feel the pain of missing this feature as an admin. 

Would be great if admins always have the delete-option for projects and boards, no matter what plan you’re on. 

Thanks!

Just adding my voice to those asking about admins being able to delete boards. The voice in my head that likes all folders/workspaces to be tidy is screaming very loudly at the number of “untitled”/”My first board” entries that are cluttering up our project, with no recourse to delete them.

Given boards can be restored for up to 30 days post-deletion, surely this in itself mitigates any issues caused by powermonging admins?

Needs a solution….

Is this really still not resolved?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hello! 
To those still searching for a solution how to delete boards that are created randomly and then “block out” other boards to the view only function: You still can't delete a board if you are not the owner, but you can delete the member and their content from your team. (Boards > Team > Users > Select User > Delete User and content) This way those boards get erased and if needed you can re-invite the member to your team

Cheers!

Just keep in mind that if you deleted a user from a team so that you could delete one or more boards, but intend on adding the user back, you should then also transfer ownership of all of their wanted boards/projects/custom templates back to them.

Yeah, it also bugs me why Team Admin cannot delete boards within the team… Why escalate to corporate admin? Such an approach effectively leads to strengthening micromanagement practices, while I’d prefer teams to be able to manage their own work (and garbage) by themselves.

Dear Miro team

I don’t really understand how you expect me to proceed. The person who created the board is no longer working in the company. How am I expected to delete their boards?

Trying to find a board in miro is impossible because of this missing functionality, admins or at least the coordinator of an enterprise account needs to be able to delete boards made by their team members.  2 years ago this was opened and the first message was that it was in the works, this seems like something that needed to be in from the start, you can remove entire team members but not remove individual boards.

My team also needs this feature. As an admin, I’m trying to cleanup old/test boards that various people have created but I can’t. Instead I have to ping everyone who still works here and ask them to delete their individual boards, which no one does, and it remains messy.

I was just added as Team Admin and have the same issue.

Please advise how a team admin can delete a board created by an employee no longer with the company.

Thank you.

Completely agree with the above comments. Please can this be prioritised? It should be core functionality for a Team Admin.