Hiding frames and using the protected lock in a group of co-facilitators

• 9 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi Miro heros out there,

I frequently use Miro boards for online trainings and workshops, e.g. on communication, conflict resolution etc. Sometimes, the trainings are facilitated by two equal facilitators.

There are two functionalities that I like very much when it comes to online facilitation:
1) Hiding frames and revealing them by step by step as the training proceeds
2) Using the protected lock to avoid objects being changed by the participants

Is there any possibility that both facilitators can access these two functions when working on the training board? Usually, these functions are unique to the board owner and there can be only one board owner…

Looking forward to your comments and tips :-)

All the best

Sarah

5 replies

Hi @Robert Johnson,

thanks a lot for your fast reply :-) I already thought of sharing the login data with my co-facilitator. Together with your idea of an additional private/incognito browser session, this should be a realistic and not too complicated workaround. We’ll try it out.

Thanks as well for the link to the Wish List. Will definitely have a look at it.

All the best,

Sarah

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Sarah Banasiak  here it is: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021580759-Board-Co-Owner-Beta-

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Sarah Banasiak - As of this reply, one way to accomplish this would be be for the board owner to share share their Miro login info with the co-facilitator(s) and have those other persons sign in as the other facilitator through a private/incognito browser session (or Miro desktop app).

I suggest this other browser session so that they can still be on the board as themselves, i.e., showing their avatar in the participants panel (top-right corner) and their name will be present beside their cursor. When they need to lock/unlock/show/hide board owner objects, they would would jump over to the other browser window/desktop app.

The board owner would have to trust the co-facilitators with this info, and would likely want to change their password afterwards. Personally I have no issues with this as I use all random passwords and would just generate a new one after, so the co-facilitators would not have a password to anything else that I use.

Until your ask becomes a reality, there are a number of Wish List Ideas that you may want to add your comments/votes to:

https://community.miro.com/search?q=facilitator%20role&content_type%5B0%5D=ideation

And if you feel that none of those truly capture what you are trying to accomplish, you can always add your own Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know. If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Robert Johnson,

thanks a lot for your fast reply :-) I already thought of sharing the login data with my co-facilitator. Together with your idea of an additional private/incognito browser session, this should be a realistic and not too complicated workaround. We’ll try it out.

Thanks as well for the link to the Wish List. Will definitely have a look at it.

All the best,

Sarah

This has worked poorly/badly for us. Participants complain that their boards starts "jumping" as soon as I do "bring everyone to me". This likely is because they receive view coordinate ms from two (or more) computers.

Also received multiple syncing issues, where one of the anoints almost always lost their connection and had to refresh the page, discovering their list ten or so edits were lost.

I hope it works better for you!

Hi Fredrik, sorry to hear that you had troubles! For us, it was ok and we didn’t have any synchronisation issues…. But sooner or later it would be great to be able to assign equal hosting rights.

All the best
Sarah