Answered

Converting an already existing account to an educational plan: is it possible?

• 14 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3

Greetings,

I have a personal account (still a free plan), so I have subscribed with my own email address.

Now I work as an educator for a Company eligible of the Education Plan, and have an email of that Company.

Can I convert my existing plan to the educational one, so that I keep my existing board? How?

Do I have to change the email address of the account before applying?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 14 July 2021, 20:06

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3

@Robert Johnson again: thank you very much! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@IvanPsy 

I think I can do the opposite if/when I no longer work for that Company: moving to another plan.

That should work - just note that given the 3 active board limit in the Free Plan, if your Education Plan is downgraded back to Free, any more than than 3 will become read-only. Also, if you have any boards set to “private”, i.e., “Anyone at [TEAM NAME] → No access, those boards will become “locked” and you would have to manually update all of those board’s Share settings back to “Team access” → Can edit.

Another quick way to move boards from a Free Plan team into a paid/Education Plan team would be to:

1. Set the Free Plan team board’s Share settings to “Anyone with the link → Can view”
  2. Open the board from your Education Plan
  3. Click on the board name/title (top left corner)
  4. and use the Duplicate action.
Userlevel 3

Thank you @Robert Johnson I’ll have a look next days.

I think I can do the opposite if/when I no longer work for that Company: moving to another plan.

Is it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@IvanPsy - Miro will update the Free Plan team that is attached to a Miro account profile that is using your educational institution’s email address/domain, e.g., @school.tld.

There are a few ways to do this - the first one being the quickest.

Option #1 - Update your Miro account profile’s Email address

And now apply for the Miro Education Plan.

Option #2 - Create a new account

This option would work if you had boards in a Free Plan team of which you were not a Team Admin and therefore could not add a new member to in order to move boards out of that Free Plan team.

Here’s what you can do:

1. Create a new Free Plan team using your @school.tld email address - for example, let’s call this new team the “Education Team”.
  2. At this point, you can apply for the Miro Education Plan, entering your @school.tld address. While you wait for approval, you can move your current Free Plan team boards to this new Free Plan team.
  3. Add your existing Miro account profile (e.g., @gmail.com) as a member on that team. Once you do this, when signed in as your @gmail.com, you will see the Education Team in your Miro dashboard - we will move your boards to this team. To do this, right-click on the board and use the Move to account action and select the “Education Team” that you just created.

Once your application is approved, your @school.tld/Education Team will be upgrade a “Free Plan” to the “Education Plan”.