Board freezes / minimap shows large white area

• 29 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
  • Active Contributor
  • 34 replies

Hi,
I started also a thread in the German sub forum but maybe here it gets more views:

https://community.miro.com/miro-community-auf-deutsch-81/tafel-friert-ein-laesst-sich-nicht-verschieben-minimap-zeigt-riesige-weisse-flaeche-6311

One of my pupils (using an iPad) has the problem that the board freezes from time to time. Sometimes he still can write but it is only me who can really see it in the board. To me it feels a bit like that it is the pupil's iPad's problem, but additionally there is also a problem with the minimap. It shows large area with nothing. Usually it auto zooms and shows only the areas with content. This problem occurs on my iPad and my computer (Windows 10 & Firefox).

I do not use frames as this user did: https://community.miro.com/peer-support-45/scaling-minimap-2633

Later some other pupil (also with an iPad) also had the problem that the board was frozen. Luckily this happend only once. On this board, too, I have the problem with the minimap.

In the second picture, I cannot scroll further down or right as shown on the mini-map. It’s like there is a border, even though the mini-map shows there is still more “nothing”.

7 replies

Userlevel 3

Today, after 30 minutes of work, we had the same problem again. But this time, the mini-map did not crash.

Does anyone have any idea what the reason for this problem could be? It’s always the same person with an iPad (talking via Skype works without interruption).

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Ole!

That sounds annoying, especially as it seems to happen so frequently! Here is some technical background info on what might be causing your issue: the rendering process of our Miro app is not allowed to use more than 25% of RAM memory of the device. If it does use more, the app can have difficulties rendering the visuals and might crash or give error messages. Slow performance can also be related to this (if you like to read up on this, there is a handy article in our Help Center). 

As a workaround we can suggest trying the following:

• to close all unnecessary background applications before using Miro - this should better the performance;
  • to work on boards that are smaller in size - this should lighten the load of the app on the system;
  • finally, to switch to another device (laptop or computer) with better RAM and use the browser version of Miro, preferably on Chrome browser.

As to your issue with the mini map - could you please click somewhere on your board and then select all (you can use the shortcut command A)? This way, the mini map should show everything that is on your board and not just in one corner with the rest blank but in a way that the content of the board is centred on the map.

I really hope this helps you and your pupils! Happy whiteboarding! :crayon:

Userlevel 3

As a workaround we can suggest trying the following:

• (1) to close all unnecessary background applications before using Miro - this should better the performance;
  • (2) to work on boards that are smaller in size - this should lighten the load of the app on the system;
  • (3) finally, to switch to another device (laptop or computer) with better RAM and use the browser version of Miro, preferably on Chrome browser.

(4) As to your issue with the mini map - could you please click somewhere on your board and then select all (you can use the shortcut command A)? This way, the mini map should show everything that is on your board and not just in one corner with the rest blank but in a way that the content of the board is centred on the map.

I really hope this helps you and your pupils! Happy whiteboarding! :crayon:

Thank you for your answer.

(1) I don’t think the other person had applications running in the background, but I can ask when we meet again.

(2) How can I change the size of the board? Do you mean the content as the board itself is unlimited?

(3) That’s no solution for me because it is not me who has the problem. And I think  a board with not too much content should work with not too old devices.

(4) When I did CRTL + A on the board I just worked with I get a blue frame with lots of nothing. I have to zoom out to 1 % to see all of this nothing.

It’s from this board:

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Ole!

Thanks for your detailed answer and the screenshots!

The fact that in the second screenshot the blue rectangle shows content in the bottom right corner but stretches far further up shows that there must be more content “up there” - some very small item that you will be only able to see when you zoom in. I’d suggest to search this area by zooming in drastically. Once you found it, delete it or move it closer to the rest of the content - and that should solve the issue with your map!

As to the issue with your student’s tablet - yes, by decreasing the size of the board I mean removing content to make it faster. That should only really be a problem if the board is heavily loaded with content - and I don’t know how “heavy” or “light” the board in question is.

In order to solve this, we have to investigate further and we need to have access to the account in question - to this end, can you help your student to submit a support ticket. Depending on what plan your student is, you can pick how to contact support here.

Let us know how the detection of the tiny item is going! Cheers!:pencil2:

Userlevel 3

Hi again,

I actually found something in that “nothing”. First I did CTRL+A and then I draw some lines at the borders of the blue rectangle. Then I selected everything within that nothing (except the real content at the bottom) and found two tiny dots which I deleted. Unfortunatelly I don’t know how to to that with the mouse of my laptop, only with the finger on an iPad. With the mouse I cannot draw a frame to select everything that is inside the frame.

To the problem with my student: He does not have an account, he uses miro as a guest.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Ole!

Am I understanding you correctly that you managed to get rid of the tiny dots and that you are having no more issues with the mini map? I do hope so - if not, please let us know!

I’d just like to point out that with a mouse it is just as easy to draw a shape or a frame: simply select the shape on the tool bar with a left click, click into the board and keep the left side pressed - and draw! This article contains detailed information on the different navigation modes. 

As for your student it really seems to be a local issue as there have been no other similar reports - and it seems that this student is also the only one among your students encountering this problem.

Can I please ask you to try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Test Miro in the Incognito (private) mode (to exclude the possibility of browser extensions interfering) and in a different browser. Close all browser tabs and applications running in the background if needed.
  2. Clear your browser's cache & cookies, restart your browser and hard refresh the page by clicking F5 (or Ctrl / Cmd + R) several times.
  3. Check your Internet connection or switch to another, preferably faster network. Feel free to try different VPNs if necessary to avoid any security blockers in your network.
  4. If you use Desktop/Mobile/Tablet application, try to re-install it and test Miro using a web-version.
  5. If you experience problems with specific boards, try to duplicate them and check if the problem persists there. Also, feel free opening a smaller in size or relatively empty board in Miro to see how the performance changes there.
  6. Check Miro Status Page to see if there are any current performance issues.

Please let us know how this is going for you! I’m looking forward to hearing back from you!:smiley:

Userlevel 3

Hi Ole!

Am I understanding you correctly that you managed to get rid of the tiny dots and that you are having no more issues with the mini map? I do hope so - if not, please let us know!
:smiley:

Yes, I think that it should not be a problem anymore!

I’d just like to point out that with a mouse it is just as easy to draw a shape or a frame: simply select the shape on the tool bar with a left click, click into the board and keep the left side pressed - and draw! This article contains detailed information on the different navigation modes. 

Maybe I was misunderstood. I think I have to select “Select” and then keep the left side pressed? But if I do this the mouse’s icon changed to a hand, so I can move the board. On the iPad the icon turns into a big blue cross and then I can “select” items.

Or do you really mean to select “shape”. If I do this I can draw a rectangle. But it doesn’t select items I (that I wanted to delete).

My navigation mode is “mouse” (not on the iPad, there it is Touchscreen).

With that student, I’m going to use a simpler board in the future.