Board Background Image

• 8 July 2020
  • 8 replies

I would like to upload an image as the background of the board (not just a solid color). Thanks!

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Nora,

You can upload an image to the board, make it huge and then click Send Backwards in the context menu. You will be able to create other widgets on top of that image.

Does this work for you? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Nora -

To add to @Marina ‘s feedback, I’d suggest that one of the challenges of having an image as a background is that unless it is just a solid pattern (i.e. like real wallpaper), because we have an infinite canvas, there’s no concept of scaling the image to fit the background.

I would agree that changing the overall background color or using a texture would be great.

Kiron

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I think the problem with background issues is frames.  Frames go BEHIND any image that is on the background, so if you lay down a giant background image and then try to select and move the smaller frames, you can’t.  You just keep selecting the image and never getting to the frames stuck behind it.

I am a graphic facilitator and use a lot of large-scale metaphors and images to hold my boards together (see below), and it’a nightmare to deal with a background image. 

I’ve done a dozen things to work around this, such as creating a separate colored box to stand in for each frame during the design process, getting everything perfect and then popping in the frames and praying I don’t have to change anything later, or breaking the image up into 15 smaller pieces that fit “around” the frames… again, praying I don’t have to make any changes.

Would love to be able to lock an image to the background and place frames and content on top.

Created a wish list item: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/images-as-board-backgrounds-behind-frames-2034

@Nora -

To add to @Marina ‘s feedback, I’d suggest that one of the challenges of having an image as a background is that unless it is just a solid pattern (i.e. like real wallpaper), because we have an infinite canvas, there’s no concept of scaling the image to fit the background.

I would agree that changing the overall background color or using a texture would be great.

Kiron

Late to the party, but, theoretically the scaling for the bg could be solved by doing two things.

• If the image is seamless, it could just repeat across an infinite canvas without any issues and without requiring an image that weighs a lot.
  • the background image doesn't zoom in or out, the elements above it do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello,

you can support our wish in the wishlist it includes the wish of having a background image:

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/dark-mode-night-mode-874?postid=12336#post12336

Just vote for it

Michael

I would also like a square background Image that is able to scale with a square.

OR

an option to choose 2 color gradient and angle of color change with the depth buttons

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@all: 

As long as we’re waiting for a cloured background or a picture as background this board can give us inspiration how a background-pic and colour could be implemented and how creativity can be an eyecandy firework to infinity:

Michael

Would love this as well. If leveraging web technologies shouldn’t be too bad to support the either covering the canvas, making it fit in the canvas, or repeating it if it’s a pattern. 

My use case is I really like tight grids to guide handwriting as it comes out much nicer that way but also prefer dark backgrounds. A background image could provide both features.