Setting up voting ahead of time?

• 26 March 2020
  • 5 replies

Hey All, 

I’m looking for some tips on doing effective voting in a Miro board. We’re holding an ideation session and need to run several rounds of “dot voting” on post-its to prioritize both needs to address and concepts. We’ll be using different sets of criteria for each round of voting (e.g. most differentiated, most aligned with our purpose). There will be 10 participants and we’re trying to set all the activities up in the board ahead of time. I’m experimenting with the voting plug in but it seems like I can only create a voting session in the moment as opposed to setting up the parameters and saving the session for future use.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set a voting session up ahead of time? Should we be thinking about voting in a different way? One alternative is to have participants do the emoji commenting instead. What have you guys had success with?

5 replies

Userlevel 1

I would add an additional question here. Is it possible if I select a frame to focus voting on that frame automatically? Resizing from the whole whiteboard to the section where I need voting upon is always a pain in the a**. Especially if the whiteboard is really big and many people are at the board (→ resulting in lags when resizing the voting area).

I second the need for setting up Votes in advance. It would help to streamline the whole experience so much and reduce stress at the facilitators side.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So I prefer to set a ready made template on the board wich has the questions inside.

I navigate my clients with the frame tool to the specific frame and tell them: “Now go to the frame voting:

There you can see the following questions …”

While I’m saying this I prepare the voting with the voting tool in the background.

It works for me, because I explain what I am doing.

In the following video from the miro EMEA V MUG04 you can see how this works in a flow at timer 25:00 minutes - the setup till the voting starts is 1 Minute 14

So not to much time including the explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=WVVeEwRga7c&feature=emb_logo

The other way I use a voting is with the chart-tool.

Same prep here:

Ready made frame with a chart with the questions inside - and I am asking my clients and while I am asking I put there the numbers of voting inside:

Michael

Userlevel 2

@mlanders thanks...the video is a great help. Can you clarify your addition with the chart? It looks like you had people vote on the frame in the lower right with the colored conversation bubbles. How did you add the chart with “title” and “legend” on it and how did you add the pie chart?

I’m new to Miro and trying to better understand voting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi David,

there is a good description on the miro-help-side that shows everything you need:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730773-Tables-and-Charts

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi there, just wanted to let you know that now you can set up voting in advance. More details here :wink: