Accessing the template picker from the main Board menu?

• 26 March 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve been working extensively with templates over the last week - I’ve created ~40 custom templates so far for our class exercises and love the feature.

I have two questions:

1. What controls the behavior of the context menu (e.g. Edit & Delete) in the template picker as it seems to be appearing inconsistently?
  2. Is there any way to access the template picker directly from the main Board menu without having to either be in a board OR be saving a new template?

Thanks!

Kiron

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Kiron Bondale! Great to hear you love the templates feature :blush:
Have you already seen our templates library

As for your questions:
1) Could you please specify what inconsistency you have noticed in the context menu? Screenshots are welcome!
2) Do you mean from the Dashboard? So far you can only open the template picker from the board. What is you use case and why do you need to access it without being in a board?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Marina - thanks for responding!

I’m definitely aware of the templates library but given the nature of our courses and the types of exercises I’m creating I’m mostly creating templates from scratch.

1. The next time I see it I will take a screenshot, but there have been times when I click on the “...” option on the template tile and get either just a Delete option, or both the Edit and Delete option. If I am able to Delete it, I should be able to Edit it as well, hence my concern.
  2. Yes, ideally having a new left-menu option in the Dashboard which will launch the template picker. The main use case is if someone is building templates and wants to manage (e.g. modify or delete) existing ones, the only way to do this is to go to an existing or new board, then select the template picker option and then do what they wanted to do. That is multiple steps which could be eliminated by having a single link to launch the template picker.

Thanks again!

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @Kiron Bondale!

1. If the issue repeats, you can go ahead and report it to the Support team at support@miro.com.
  2. Great suggestion and I understand the use case. I will pitch the idea to the Miro team :wink:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @Kiron Bondale,

A while ago we added templates to the dashboard, I hope this solved for your main issue but I wanted to let you know about our latest release for templates as well.

We’ve made it easier to recommend best practices by introducing sharing links for templates, incl. custom templates for your team.

For this release we focused on simple secure sharing, so access to templates via links reflects your existing share settings. Aka. only those who have access today will continue to have access from the link.

Kristin

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks @Kristin!

Kiron