Workshop Agenda

• 14 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, Miro Community! 

Questions I have are about your process of preparing and using your workshop agenda. Could you share your experience on these topics:

— When do you design your agenda: before or after you design everything on the board?

— Where do you usually keep it?

— Does every step in your agenda represents an area or objects on a board?

— How do you align participants around it: by demonstrating a board or going through a separate agenda doc?

Thanks a lot!

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi, Miro Community!

Questions I have are about your process of preparing and using your workshop agenda. Could you share your experience on these topics:

— When do you design your agenda: before or after you design everything on the board?

— Where do you usually keep it?

— Does every step in your agenda represents an area or objects on a board?

— How do you align participants around it: by demonstrating a board or going through a separate agenda doc?

Thanks a lot!

Welcome to the community, @Vlad Ponomarenko!

• I have my agenda thought out before the board is designed - however, I update either as required.
  • I am currently using either stickies or the board’s Visual Notes feature with check boxes to keep track of where we are. 
  • I do like to use frames to contain and organize each agenda item/phase of the workshop - I find it helps everyone understand where we’re at in the workshop.
  • I just demonstrate where the agenda is, how to find where I am currently at on the board (using the “go to user” by clicking on their icon on the board, to be taken to them - all part of the Attention Management feature set).

Hopefully, thanks to Wish List posts like Usage rights for facilitators vs. participants, there will soon be even better agenda features in Miro. I encourage you to read the above post and vote for it if it sounds like something you’re interested it.

Here is a quick sample workshop board I threw together - the password to view is: workshop123

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Vlad Ponomarenko -

Similar to @Rob Johnson , I’d always suggest defining your agenda first and let that drive the design of your board. And I’d also advocate using individual frames for each separate topic in the agenda. The benefit is that the frame panel becomes your agenda and you can provide all attendees with a well organized PDF export afterwards with one page per agenda topic.

I use a linear layout approach for nearly all of my workshops so participants naturally move from one frame to the next (right) but if some folks do get “lost”, the attention management “bring everyone to me” feature helps a lot.

Kiron

Userlevel 1

@Rob Johnson  thank for the answer! Have you tried using Frames panel as an agenda for the session?

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale thanks for your reply.
And where do you initially draft your agenda if you haven’t created anything on a board yet and Frames panel is empty?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Vlad Ponomarenko -

I’d suggest creating placeholders for your agenda items by creating a number of empty frames and renaming each to match your agenda topics. That will populate the Frames panel and you can then start fleshing out each frame.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kiron Bondale thanks for your reply.
And where do you initially draft your agenda if you haven’t created anything on a board yet and Frames panel is empty?

@Vlad Ponomarenko Not specifically as the primary way to present and keep track of the agenda, but that would definitely work for outlining the agenda and moving from one agenda item to the next. It would work especially well while in Presentation Mode.

Userlevel 1

@Kiron Bondale oh wow, that’s interesting technique, thanks! And a couple more questions:
— What about agenda details, is there something you missing in Frames panel?
— When do you want your participants to interact with this agenda? At which points during workshop?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Vlad Ponomarenko -

Given that a frame is basically just a container, as long as I can put it in whatever is needed for the topic being discussed, I’m fine. That could be an image, a video clip, a brainstorming board or something else.

The agenda would be reviewed at the very start of the meeting, and then if it is a long meeting I might jump back to the Frames panel on occasion to remind everyone what has been accomplished and what is left to be done.

The nice thing is that if you annotate the Frames as the meeting progresses, once you export the board in PDF format, the minutes are embedded within it!

Kiron