Training Proof of Concept attempt

• 13 August 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi

I’m a lot reticent about posting this but here goes anyway….

I offer it as others have shared their ideas and examples

Also because i’d love to hear what it suggesst to other as ways to improve what I’ve done here

You can watch at 2x speed (or 4x but thats incomprehensible!)

Context

I have a potential client with whom I’m attempting to show ‘how to break the mould’ on shifting trad training to be online w/ tools like miro - to try to ‘give them a feel for whats possible...’ i recorded https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr2st48lhnabuy1/first%20PoC.mp4?dl=0

I’m thinking we should all get on a board sometime and share trix-n-tips - who’d like to talk about making that a reality?

@Marina its shows a few bugs in the operation of miro that you might like to pass on. Ones at 10:11 another similar happens soon after - there are several issues illustrated as I go that I don’t recall now 

Discussion encouraged… please also tag others who’ve asked about training use

@mlanders @Max Harper @Isman Tanuri @Kiron Bondale @Rob Johnson @Martina Crnkovic @Margaret Hiden @Lena Shenkarenko

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

What would be interesting @Simon.Harris is a recording of how to take a representative “in person” exercise and re-imagine it to be as engaging in the virtual world. 

The mechanics of creating content in Miro is fairly easy once you learn its idiosyncrasies but the much tougher task is to design something which achieves the same learning objectives in potentially a different manner.

Let me give you an example. 

When I was setting up our 3 day PM fundamentals course, I had an exercise which had teams identify and analyze risks in a project scenario and populate a risk register with them. In the “in person” exercise, they’d just capture the info in a table. Rather than migrating it “as is” to Miro using either the table or grid control, I changed the exercise to start with brainstorming using green (positive risks) and red (negative risks) stickies, and then having them drag them onto a typical XY probability/impact chart. 

Something that could help an instructor or instructional designer to fast track that process would be awesome...

Kiron

Userlevel 4

I was leaving a bit of time-space incase others wanted to comment too…?

What did you mean by “fast track that process?

I too have done risk brainstorm, group, rank exercises much as you describe (in ConceptBoard not with miro). So far my RILT (Remote Instructor Led Training) use of boards has struggled with students grasping the board navigation because the UX isn’t optimised for speed of beginner productivity over productivity of experts (the perpetual unix vs windows etc type argument)

I find the remote exercises are as engaging. The challenges are equalled by the opportunities such as everyone can work concurrently but groups still follow old learned behaviours such as they appoint a scribe!

Setting up something that runs asynchronous for the instructor and participants is also ‘of interest’ for fully asynch eLearning

I only have recordings of live remote classes using xoom or AdobeConnect plus in tool whiteboard facilities or Google Sheets & JamBoard not of using Miro. In all cases the breakout session isn’t recorded and the editing to make it shareable would be time consuming.

What I am also interested to work towards is boards and instructions for eLearning as well as R-ILT

(I don’t think ‘virtual’ is the right label even if v-ILT is a recognisable abbreviation and R-ILT isn’t!) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Simon.Harris -

What I meant is that Miro has a sufficiently rich set of tools that there are few limits on what you can setup for an exercise or breakout session - you are only limited by your imagination. What would be great would be something to help facilitators new to Miro to re-imagine their in-person exercises for the live virtual environment quicker…

Kiron

Userlevel 4

Ah - I see - I suspect if there was an automated “think for me and re-imagine” we’d all, actually be in trouble!

I’m interested in your dice based exercises - could you share how you use a die in exercises (yes I gte the “to generate a random number”! :) but in terms of scenario :-))

I think 90% of my brain stretchers work virtually - Everything that lists and ranks works - Building towers & airplanes etc needs to be re-imagined as some form of construction or needs a program behind it

What i particularly like in a collaboration space is that its much easier to have tool-chains eg Brainstorm from the scenario - transfer to analysis - transfer to ranking - apply response .

Sure post-it and flip-chart can do too but its more ‘intergtaed online and i can add leveller solutions more easily too

I was sorta hoping we’d get some sharing of “i do this...” from a circle of folk to add to all our arsenals 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Simon.Harris -

I use a dice for two exercises. One is a variant on the popular Coffee game where the dice is used to drive variation in work completed during a sprint. The other is a simple exercise to teach folks how to create and use a release burnup chart with the dice results driving changes in how much work was completed similar to the other one.

I’ve had to re-design roughly 25% of my exercises - the biggest one was the Lego game which had to be re-imagined as a drawing game with whole new stories…

Kiron

Userlevel 4

An agile lego game can easily become something like Noah’s Ark by allowing a ‘palette’ of shapes that can be assembled into stick animals. Maybe also grouped and used as more significant building blocks

Is your coffee game the one on tastie cupcakes? otherwise I don’t believe i know it.

My biggest ‘loss’ is a sorting scenario using a pack of cards - I except some aspects can be cloned but the bit where serious competition moves folk from cluttered slippery surface tables to sit on the floor for space and traction won’t replicate!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Simon.Harris -

Yes, I believe it is the Tasty Cupcakes version but we’ve modified a bit for the purposes of our class. The drawing game was a lot of fun as even with simple items to be drawn there was lots of room for requirements misunderstandings.

Kiron