Question

Replacing PowerPoint with a Miro board

• 18 July 2020
  • 8 replies

I am running a webinar in a few days and the plan is to use Miro to share content rather than PowerPoint. Its a rather large group so there won't be any participant inputs on the board (I know this is the whole point of Miro). Any thoughts on what the risks of this approach might be?? 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

One risk is that you lose Internet connectivity and cannot load your board. I believe that if you had it loaded before you lost connectivity you would be okay. However, your presentation may be played with "trying to reconnect" warnings. I'd test that out beforehand.

The other risk goes to Microsoft losing PowerPoint users after they see Miro as a presentation tool. 

The internet connectivity is a big one! Also Miro can create a drag on my macbooks processing especially while on Zoom. I think I will have a PDF export of the board as back up! I want to use Miro because the same content will be used again collaboratively.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Angela Koch -

Miro does not have the ability to provide animations on slides in case that is something you were planning to take advantage of. However, the “jump to frame” capability in Miro can make it simulate Prezi…

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Angela Koch I've stopped using PowerPoints basically because I love getting people "disfiguring/contributing/vandalising" my presentations. It's a much more interactive experience. If you're going down this path, do use the "Frames toolbar" to go through your slides so that users can continue to have access to the editing tools.

"Drag on Miro" ← I realised this happens a lot if you have too many images in a single Miro board.

Some peektures to illustrate...

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The internet connectivity is a big one! Also Miro can create a drag on my macbooks processing especially while on Zoom. I think I will have a PDF export of the board as back up! I want to use Miro because the same content will be used again collaboratively.

Good call on the PDF backup. If you're planning on a wireless presentation remote, I'd suggest trying that ahead of time too. I've never really given much thought on how they work, but I suspect they emulate the left & right arrow buttons, so it should work just fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update: I tried my USB-receiver/wireless transmitter presentation remote and and works in Miro’s presentation mode - the previous/next buttons on the remote cycle through the Miro frames.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Angela Koch :

Same to me as @Isman Tanuri said:

I love to interact with the people while I present so I totally went away from PowerPoint although miro has no animations

The interaction with the audience is so much better to me than any:
“Fly in” - “Fly out” or whatever animation …

And I also use the frame window to go through my “presentation”

And at the end:
Everyone gets the PDF-File via e-mail.

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@mlanders - I agree that interacting with the participants outweighs no animations!

If anyone has wanted to have presentation notes along with their slides, I just added a comments to the following post with a roundabout way to achieve this and gladly welcome your comments/ideas/feedback etc. - https://community.miro.com/got-a-question-ask-the-community-45/replace-professional-presentation-software-1900