How to do - Fist of Five Voting

• 15 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

A common technique used in many agile meetings is Fist of Five voting, where everyone raises their hand showing 0-5 fingers indicating a range of agreement.  How do you do this well using Miro?  One of the most important parts of this technique is to identify who has low confidence so that you may start a discussion.  I can put 6 cards in a region and use the voting feature, but the Miro voting feature seems completely anonymous, so I would have to get the low voters to speak up to identify themselves.  Does anyone have another technique to vote and more easily start the right conversations?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Steve Appling -

Why not use the Planning Poker plug-in for that purpose? It has the usual modified Fibonacci sequence, but you could adapt it to be 0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 instead. The benefit of that would be the simultaneous voting which is not possible if you were to just have folks use dot voting or some other methods of providing feedback…

Kiron

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I still don’t think I would see who voted for which confidence level.  I’m preparing for a PI planning event which will have about 80 people attending remotely.  It’s hard to give everyone speaking privileges at once in that scale of an event, but I still wanted to identify who had low confidence in our plans so that I could give them the floor and we could discuss it.  I was hoping to find a voting method where I could see who had concerns out of a big group of people. 

Thanks for the idea, though.  I’ll play with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Steve Appling -

It would be pretty easy to do this with the planning poker plug-in as those cards have to be manually dropped on the board. All you have to do is create a simple voting grid (2xn) where people put their names in one row and their votes in the 2nd row.

Another lower tech option would just use color sticky notes - green = high confidence, yellow = moderate confidence, red = low confidence. Then, folks just drop a sticky with the right color and put their name in it.

And yet another idea would be to just have five rectangles with different colors signifying the different confidence levels and folks just drop a sticky with their names in the one which represents their confidence level.

Kiron

Not sure if this is gonna work with 60 people - but in smaller groups we simply asked participants to hover with their mouse over a “thumbs up” or “thumbs down” image.

No clicking, creation of post-its, moving of dots, voting or whatever needed. Just ask attendees to move the cursor and based on that you get a quick feedback. (If you want to call ppl out - they’d need to have an account though, otherwise they’re just anonymous)