How have you structured Miro boards to use them as "hubs" or "libraries" to manage complex information?

• 12 November 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I’m interested in examples of how you are using Miro to visually organize complex and nested information for intuitive, asynchronous exploration. 

What are we doing to allow communities to “live” asynchronously in Miro beyond live workshops and events?

For example, as a:

• homebase
  • hub
  • library
  • archive
  • system map
  • mission control

Some use cases:

• As basecamp for a conference, organizing all conference-related activities at a glance, like the Mission Control board for Miro’s recent Distributed 101 Conference or this Book Fair shared by @Istanbul Literature House 
  • As the backbone for an entire college course curriculum that students visit each week to find their assignments and weekly workspace.
  • As a hub for a community of practice, to hold an ever-growing collection of learnings, conversation, and resources. 
  • As a map of MULTIPLE cohorts/communities within a large network.  (I’m picturing a map viewed from overhead, with “towns” that represent different communities of practice you can visit, or a “main street” image with different shops to enter and explore.) 
  • As a user-created repository of shared materials and templates for users to borrow, mixed and match, copy and paste for their own use.  
  • As a visual library of blog posts, articles, and podcasts, to easily see the overlaps between different resources on similar topics.  (Here’s a nice example on Mural.)
  • As a system map of a complex network of actors and entities that might grow and shift over time.
  • As a knowledge archive to organize and share proceedings and outputs from events.

I’m looking for inspiration!  I would love to see what kind of frameworks others have created that are aesthetically appealing, intuitive to navigate, and can grow over time

(I’ll post some versions I’ve created in the comments when/if I get client approval to share!) : )

This relates to @Phil Wolff’s post about Deeper Density with Miro

9 replies

Userlevel 3

@UX1 may I ask you how you use Miro?

Maybe we can join our ideas ;-)

Userlevel 3

Hello, @Kim Roth Howe I too am very interested in how you use miro as a research hub! Also curious @IvanPsy what you ended up doing. Could either of you share some links or take-aways here?

My big challenge now is to use the nesting, so that the boards themselves do not get too bloated and slow. For some reason I have a board that is quite slow, and it is not so image heavy, so I wonder if it is all of my research tags.

any thoughts?

thanks!

Molly

Hi UX1,

I ended up replacing Miro with another Knowledge System.

I use Mindnode (mind maps) heavily: I take note, manage my projects, organize my knowledge.

Then I use DevonThink (Apple only) as my knowledge hub.

I’d use Miro if I could export mindmaps in formats such as OPML and others.

But I’m still available for “upgrade” ;-)

Hello, @Kim Roth Howe I too am very interested in how you use miro as a research hub! Also curious @IvanPsy what you ended up doing. Could either of you share some links or take-aways here?

My big challenge now is to use the nesting, so that the boards themselves do not get too bloated and slow. For some reason I have a board that is quite slow, and it is not so image heavy, so I wonder if it is all of my research tags.

any thoughts?

thanks!

Molly

Userlevel 3

@IvanPsy Not personal, but we are using it to organize research documents.

We have a group of Harvard students doing research on humanitarian issues in 12 different countries, and we are organizing their research into a central hub so that humanitarian workers around the world can access and download the research.

Are you looking for visual examples?  How can I help?

wow @Kim Roth Howe i’d really like it!

I work as a CyberPsychologist, so I use academic research a lot, and I have to merge and elaborate them for my articles and projects.

As such I process a huge quantity of them.

Some visual examples would very appreciated: while I understand how to organise a single project on Miro, I find hard to imagine how to organise huge quantity of PDFs, links, videos, screenshots from books and elaborate them.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@IvanPsy Not personal, but we are using it to organize research documents.

We have a group of Harvard students doing research on humanitarian issues in 12 different countries, and we are organizing their research into a central hub so that humanitarian workers around the world can access and download the research.

Are you looking for visual examples?  How can I help?

Userlevel 3

Any use cases about personal knowledge management? ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you, @Kim Roth Howe! That background hack was learned from the Miro Distributed boards 😂

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

This is awesome @Isman Tanuri

I really like how organic it feels while also being very easy to navigate; it’s clear where to start and how things relate to each other but not restrictive.  It also seems very flexible for future adjustments.  (And I like your makeshift turquoise background.) :wink:

Great example.  Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey @Kim Roth Howe , great topic! I’ve got some of the use cases in this board I’ve created. The thinking: company websites can be quite “flat”, lots of nested information. Ironically, the more things you put in there, the more invisible the content can become. (I personally don’t see much navigation by organic traffic from one product page to another.)

This Miro board is my attempt at giving a “big picture” overview of the entire operation/website without having to click through multiple. The links still, ironically, jump to pages on the website 😂

What’s the use case for this board? Sending it out to clients and prospects as an interactive ‘company profile/one-sheet’.

PS This will always be a work-in-progress.