Has anyone tried Planning Poker in Miro?

Userlevel 3
Badge

If you are not familiar, Planning Poker lets your development team choose from a range of options (usually numbers that indicate complexity) and then at the end of the voting, those numbers are revealed and the discussion starts.

The voting plugin in Miro is very basic, since it only gives a general count of all votes but we all need to know who voted what number to better discuss.

Any thoughts on how to do this on Miro? Maybe there’s something I’m missing.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The Poker Planning app plug in is quite functional and easy to use.

The only thing which it may not show is who voted for what size, but that is not critical as this technique is there to foster conversation within the team so once voting has been completed for a work item, there shouldn’t be a hesitation in team members sharing why they had a much lower or much higher size for the work item than others.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for sharing @Kiron Bondale! I’ve just found out that plugin (I had to manually search it on Miro’s website). It truly does the trick, I just hope you could personalized the numbers but it’s quite useful, nevertheless. 

Where did you find the plug in for planning poker, I have not been able to find it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Barbara Wilders - I had this happen once before as well where I was unable to locate it by searching for it. It still shows up in the boards of one of my Teams where it had been previously installed, but I can’t add it to a different Team.

@Marina - could you shed some light on this? Is the Poker Planning app not available for addition for maintenance or some other reason?

Userlevel 3
Badge

If you search that plugin on Google you are able to find the link in which it was published but it’s not available right now. It seems it wasn’t developed by Miro, but why taking it down; it worked so well. 

https://miro.com/marketplace/planning-poker/

@Marina any updates here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ErnestoBarron -

Miro support got back to me with the following update: “The Poker Planning app is indeed not on the Marketplace yet since our team is currently refining the plugin and will bring it back shortly. I'm afraid I cannot share any ETA when the app is back on the Marketplace, but we will let you know when it happens. Please, bear with us and stay tuned!”

Hopefully it won’t be too long as I do have a course coming up where I need to use it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ErnestoBarron -

Miro support confirmed that the Planning Poker app has been added back to the marketplace - I just checked with a quick search and it looks like all is good!

Kiron

How to use Planning Poker app in Miro?, any help will be appreciated

Userlevel 3
Badge

How to use Planning Poker app in Miro?, any help will be appreciated

What I did was:

1. Create a space (cell) for every team member with their name. This is like their space. I used the new grid tool for added flexibility. 
  2. Install the Planning Poker plugin (https://miro.com/marketplace/planning-poker/and ask everyone to drag the selected card to their space. Every member needs to install this plugin. 
  3. Once time’s up we flip the cards and star the discussion. 

Thanks @ErnestoBarron, it worked out well. BTW is Planning Poker a free app?

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Romel Parasnis yes, it’s a free plugin. The only limitation I found was that you can’t change the numbers on the cards but nothing serious. The team loves it!

@Romel Parasnis yes, it’s a free plugin. The only limitation I found was that you can’t change the numbers on the cards but nothing serious. The team loves it!

Perfect, thanks again!!

How do you use planning poker for a team?  I share the board link with my team however, the planning poker app doesn’t appear on their board and if they add it, it asks them to install it on their account?  thanks!

How do you use planning poker for a team?  I share the board link with my team however, the planning poker app doesn’t appear on their board and if they add it, it asks them to install it on their account?  thanks!

@cristi , Planning poker app is free and needs to be installed by every team member participating in the Planning poker session. In addition, you can use the planning poker table available under the templates. Instructions on how to use the Planning poker table is part of the template. Hope it helps.

Thanks @Romel Parasnis .  I do not see a template.  is it called “Planning Poker”?\

Thanks @Romel Parasnis .  I do not see a template.  is it called “Planning Poker”?\

@cristi its Planning poker table. Just search for “planning” under choose a template search and you should find it as one of the options. Good luck!

@Romel Parasnis thanks but i already tried that - the only template that comes up from “planning” is PI Planning.

Userlevel 4

Hmm - Shows up for me via search in the desktop client

How about trying direct access in a web-browser? to https://miro.com/marketplace/ - that worked too :)

@Simon.Harris i’m not looking for the app - i have that.  I was looking for the planning poker template @Romel Parasnis suggested trying.  thank you though

can the planning pokler app be used within the free plan? I’ve the team plan and it works, but if my colleagues try to install it, just this happens:

no ‘get app’ Button

I have the similar issue as Carsten Czeczine.  I have a paid plan and share the board with anonymous users in my organisation.  Would love to run planning poker with them, but they can’t install the app as an anonymous user.

Any chance this can be fixed?  It would be perfect for us if you could.

Thanks!

My teammate and I have installed the Planning Poker App, but it does not show up in the toolbar as an option for either of us. Does anyone know how to add it to the toolbar or use it once it is installed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Katrina Starkweather -

Once it is installed, it should show up when you click on the “...” menu at the bottom of the left toolbar. From there, you can drag it into the toolbar itself for regular use.

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale Thank you for jumping in to help me!

I did install it. So, I would expect to see it as an option when I select the “...”. However, when I click on the “...” menu, I get a pop-up (see below). It is not listed. And I see no method to drag it into the toolbar. More Ideas? Thoughts?

I need the admin in our organization to approve the app, but they won’t do it until Miro and privacy has given more detailed information what kind of information Gorazdo.studio gets access to. 

I requested this for over a month ago. Anyone else experiencing the same issue or that can provide more information?