Big Room Planning Best Practices

• 4 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I will be holding a workshop within shortly with 100 people, I consider myself as fairly experienced in holding workshops for teams (5-25 people) but haven’t done anything this big before. 

My setup is Zoom + Miro, do you have previous experience of running workshops at that size? Hit me up with your best practices.

Best regards, 

Johan

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Like how do you handle if someone unlocks one of your objects and deletes it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Johan -

With a group that size, I hope you have a number of co-facilitators to work with smaller subgroups of the 100. 

I would also highly recommend taking manual backups on a regular basis over the course of the workshop (perhaps during scheduled breaks) such that you can easily restore back anything which is lost. 

Finally, be very judicious about who has full edit access vs. who is just able to comment or view - that can help to limit the “chaos”.

Good luck!

Kiron

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank @kiron!

Very good advice indeed!

But what would be the best practice if I indeed want all 100 to be active participants, ie be editors. After all, that’s the major value with using a virtual whiteboard, no?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Johan -

if there are items which you wish to protect, you could try to do so by covering them with low opacity “shield” shapes which you lock in place. That will prevent inadvertent deletion.

I’d also strongly recommend having everyone turn off the collaborators’ cursors view option to avoid folks getting dizzy :grinning:

Kiron

Userlevel 4

@Kiron Bondale  placing a low-opacity shape over the top will be an extremely good start, but it will make it impossible for participants to follow internal navigation links, won’t it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Alan Heckman -

correct - this is a good strategy for things which people need to look at (e.g. images) but which you don’t want them to modify. If it is a shape in which you want modifications to occur or you want them to click within it, this wouldn’t work and you’d have to go back to the default locking as the only option available.

Kiron

Userlevel 4

@Kiron Bondale  I just tested this, and I got an unfortunate result different from what I think you and  I were both expecting. I found that I could still click on, move, and generally mess with items under a locked shape unless the shape was set to be completely opaque. So, all levels of opacity except the highest one didn’t protect the things underneath. One thing I COULDN’T do through the semi-opaque shapes was follow links, which might be the one thing I would really like to allow. :frowning2: Am I missing something?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Alan Heckman -

Make sure the “shield” is in the front so when you click anywhere within it you will be selecting it.

Kiron