Best Miro approach for Screenwriting?

• 19 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello friends,

I was turned on to Miro by hearing on a Podcast that a tv writers room used it to track their story outline. After starting my own account, I see vast potential, but am a little lost on what functions would be best suited, so looking for some suggestions.

Basically what would be nice, would be to have a ‘index card’ system… or maybe more of a linear timeline thing, where you can add scenes, rearrange them, and if you pull one out - they all slide down to cover the hole.

Any ides or links to tutorials would be helpful!

Alex

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey Alex,

This writer’s room demo board might also spark some inspiration for you! 

For index cards: I would suggest our “Cards” feature which will give you a summary, details (longer type area), a name, date, and tags. 

For the scenario you describe with the scene re-ordering: With screenwriters in the past, I’ve suggested the User Story Map or Kanban framework for this. You can drag cards around and rearrange them easily and create columns and rows for different plot lines, stages in the story, etc. There’s a couple examples on this board.

Hope it helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Alex Christenson,

I remember @ArkyBoy described how he uses Miro to write a novel. Here are his posts:

I hope it will inspire you :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Alex Christenson -

If a scene could be captured in a Frame, then the Frames export capability as well as the Frames list panel would likely address your needs. The only gap is that you have to manually delete a Frame from the board and move the other Frames over, but aside from that, it should work…

Kiron

Hi @Alex Christenson,

I remember @ArkyBoy described how he uses Miro to write a novel. Here are his posts:

I hope it will inspire you :relaxed:

Thanks, this is super helpful!