Answered

6 hangouts at the same time with MS Teams and Miro

• 22 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Hi, i am planning a conference with microsoft teams and want to make 6 hangout sessions at the same time where they should work in groups of 25 people on a whiteboard. It should be a world cafe methode so they should switch to another whiteboard after they are finished and another group continues the work on their board. How can we handle that? Is it possible and what plan and setup do we need for that? thx and cheers Stefan

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 22 October 2020, 16:02

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Stefan R - As I read it, you will have 6 sessions x 25 people = 150 participants in total. While one board can handle that many people one time, I would suggest making six boards. This would ensure better performance and also limit the number of cursors the participants will see. Of course, each user can hide collaborators’ cursors if they’d like:

More on the topic of improving board performance here → Tips to Improve Board Performance.

To set up the boards, you could

1. Build your main board.
  2. Duplicate it five times.
  3. Name them Board 1, Board 2, etc.
  4. Inside of each board, you could make a shape/sticky that says “Go to board[#]” and link it to the next board:

At the beginning of the session, you would give each group a link to the board that corresponds to their group number and they would cycle through with Group # 6 ending up on Board # 1.

Miro Plan

The Consultant Plan for $15/month would be the cheapest option if only one person will be signing in to Miro to do the work - if there will be more than one of you, you would probably want to consider the Team plan (compare all here). Any of the paid plans will give you Anonymous Guest Editors access, so you could set your board(s) Share settings to to allow anyone with the link the ability to edit, so that your session participants would not need a Miro account (you can put a password on the board too):

Let us know if you have any more quesitons!

Hey Robert 

Thank you very much for this helpful feedback.

As I read it, you will have 6 sessions x 25 people = 150 participants in total. While one board can handle that many people one time, I would suggest making six boards. 

Yes great that´s right. i am planning 150 participants and 6 Workshops at the same time. We have 3 Topics so always 2 with similar topics. After they are finished they should change the boards and continue on the next topic and so on. At the end everyone was with his group on 3 boards.
So that´s why as you sayed we need 6 boards

I am a bit worried about the button that they click it before the session is finished. is it possible to close the boards until the end of the session? And if they just have to go from 1 to 3 to 5 and the other group von 2 to 4 to 6 how can we make that?

I thought about 6 different links in their personal schedule and the can switch to the next board as soon as one is finished. Does this make sense for you? Or maybe 6 teams? What is more practicable?

The Consultant Plan for $15/month would be the cheapest option if only one person will be signing in to Miro to do the work - if there will be more than one of you, you would probably want to consider the Team plan (compare all here). Any of the paid plans will give you Anonymous Guest Editors access, so you could set your board(s) Share settings to to allow anyone with the link the ability to edit, so that your session participants would not need a Miro account (you can put a password on the board too):

We will have 6 coaches that should stay at one board to introduce, help and coach towards the best results - so is it the team plan or is it possible that i host all boards and they are part of the anonymous guest editors? how do people recognize them if they are anonymous?

Thank you very much for your assistance

Best 

Stefan

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I am a bit worried about the button that they click it before the session is finished. is it possible to close the boards until the end of the session? And if they just have to go from 1 to 3 to 5 and the other group von 2 to 4 to 6 how can we make that?

I thought about 6 different links in their personal schedule and the can switch to the next board as soon as one is finished. Does this make sense for you?

If by “close the boards until after the session” you mean close the next board until the next session starts, you could put the board in Anyone with the link → Can view until the session starts and then flip it to Can edit when the session starts. Or you could just share the board link right as the session starts and share the link in a Teams chat vs linking from within the board itself. Once the session is over, you could flip it back to Can view, so no one makes changes after the fact. Or just set it to No access.

We will have 6 coaches that should stay at one board to introduce, help and coach towards the best results - so is it the team plan or is it possible that i host all boards and they are part of the anonymous guest editors? how do people recognize them if they are anonymous?

If any board participants have their own Miro account (free or paid) and use your Guest Editor link from a browser or Miro desktop app that they are signed in to, then their name will show up beside their cursor. Therefore your 6 coaches will definitively want to have signed up for at least a Free Plan account ahead of time. 

Ah okay great. Would you recommend to install the plugin of miro into teams or is it better to keep it seperately that not everyone sees what´s happening in the board?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I have never used (or even researched) the Miro plugin for Teams. Personally, I would suggest keeping them separate for now, to limit the unknowns.

thank you. If i have any more questions for the setup i will catch you up later… Thanks so far. This was really helpful

Hi one more question,

because of legal check in our company…

does everyone who is participating on the board need an own account or is a guest user (as in zoom) possible ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Stefan R - As long as you have set the board's sharing setting as Anyone with the link as "Can edit" then anyone with the link can edit the board - a Miro around is not required.