Zoom and Miro: best practices to combine these tools

• 24 March 2020
  • 36 replies

Show first post

36 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello,

yes in the free plan there are limitations.
But as i discovered miro i worked serveral days with the free version.
It offers a real huge possibilities to work.
I remember i set my most favorate things into one board and worked with the other two boards and copied my most used frames always from board one to one of the others … 

It works but it costs time.

Now i prefer to work with templates it saves time and gives me everthing i need with a click of a mouse. And i can create elements i use very often ...

If you are students just try to check out if you / your school/university gets into the Education Plan:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730473-Education-Plan 

This should help you a lot.

Best regards
Michael

Thank you, Michael. I’ve already sent a request applying for an education plan. Thanks for forwarding the information to me. It really helps!

Currently, I am doing a MITE program (i.e. information technology in education). As I’ve learned and explored how IT can help learning and teaching, I find it more interesting. I see it very crucial to use e-learning tools to facilitate learning, especially during the period like today. 

I am exploring the functions in Miro because I would like to write a proposal for our teaching team to see if some of them would like to try Miro as a collaborative platform for MITE students.

Besides using Google Docs, I believe Miro can bring us to more innovative learning.

Cindy

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello,

yes in the free plan there are limitations.
But as i discovered miro i worked serveral days with the free version.
It offers a real huge possibilities to work.
I remember i set my most favorate things into one board and worked with the other two boards and copied my most used frames always from board one to one of the others … 

It works but it costs time.

Now i prefer to work with templates it saves time and gives me everthing i need with a click of a mouse. And i can create elements i use very often ...

If you are students just try to check out if you / your school/university gets into the Education Plan:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730473-Education-Plan 

This should help you a lot.

Best regards
Michael

Userlevel 2

Hi Cindy,

there is a 3.rd Scenario:

It needs (for 25 people):

• 1 miro (main) board prepared for the whole class
  • 5 prepared miro boards for the group with each special task for them
  • Invitation via mail to the miro (main) board
  • Each of the 5 miro boards should be mentioned on a different “task frame” in the main miro board - the links for the miro boards should be either on the task frame or could give them in the chat window of miro
  • In each of the 5 miro groups ther should be a “result frame”
  • Set the timer for the groups in the main board
  • Send each group to there board
  • Copy the result frame from each group and paste it into the main group.
  • Present the results of each group in the main group.

I added a picture how this works in miro:

Michael

Thanks for your ideas, Michael. I think it is very helpful! However, may I ask if you upgraded your plan? Because when I am exploring Miro, I found there are new features they are introducing, like sticky note captures and video conferencing. But I am currently a student and I don’t think I should pay for it because of not many collaborative works currently. 

Would you please share more innovative features with me?

Thanks a lot!

Cindy

Userlevel 2

Thank you for your answer! 

Just one more question:

in Miro there are two types of plans: free one and paid ones. 

With free plan I can share 3 board with unlimited number of people. 

With paid ones I can use unlimited boards but the number of people I can share the board with is limited. 

What is your take about what kind of plan is most useful and convenient for a teacher considering that students after several sessions finish there education process and new ones come? 

Thanks! 

Hi Dear,

Sorry that I may not able to answer this question because I’ve checked detailed information about the paid plan. But I do doubt why there’s a limited number of people in a paid plan. Or you may just ask the Miro team. I think they’d love to receive feedback from users.

Best wishes,

Cindy

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much, Michael!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Cindy,

there is a 3.rd Scenario:

It needs (for 25 people):

• 1 miro (main) board prepared for the whole class
  • 5 prepared miro boards for the group with each special task for them
  • Invitation via mail to the miro (main) board
  • Each of the 5 miro boards should be mentioned on a different “task frame” in the main miro board - the links for the miro boards should be either on the task frame or could give them in the chat window of miro
  • In each of the 5 miro groups ther should be a “result frame”
  • Set the timer for the groups in the main board
  • Send each group to there board
  • Copy the result frame from each group and paste it into the main group.
  • Present the results of each group in the main group.

I added a picture how this works in miro:

Michael

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your answer! 

Just one more question:

in Miro there are two types of plans: free one and paid ones. 

With free plan I can share 3 board with unlimited number of people. 

With paid ones I can use unlimited boards but the number of people I can share the board with is limited. 

What is your take about what kind of plan is most useful and convenient for a teacher considering that students after several sessions finish there education process and new ones come? 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 2

Hello Cindy! 

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

Id like to ask you an additional question if you don’t mind. 

I’m not sure that I got the idea of using the «share screen function” in Zoom

as I understand when some people are invited to see and work in Miro they already can see the process of correcting the board in real time, can’t they? 

So why I should tell them to share the screen if they already have this option in Miro? 

Thanks.  

Hi dear,

Thanks for raising your question. Let me explain so:

Scenario 1:

25 students in a classroom; 5 groups; group work; share group work with the whole classroom.

ICT used:

1. Zoom: Teacher lecture for the whole class;
  2. Zoom: Set breakout rooms for each group discussion; 
  3. Miro: Each breakout room works on a Miro canvas;
  4. Zoom: back to the Zoom and present group work to the whole classroom (using share screen in Zoom)

Scenario 2:

25 students in a classroom and work on 1 discussion together (e.g. brainstorming)

ICT used:

1. Organise the whole-class collaborative work using Miro
  2. Share screen + video conferencing using Miro 

Hope it helps!

Userlevel 1

Hello Cindy! 

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

Id like to ask you an additional question if you don’t mind. 

I’m not sure that I got the idea of using the «share screen function” in Zoom

as I understand when some people are invited to see and work in Miro they already can see the process of correcting the board in real time, can’t they? 

So why I should tell them to share the screen if they already have this option in Miro? 

Thanks.  

Userlevel 2

Hi, glad to see you proposed such a nice question!

Currently, I am a Master student in Hong Kong. One of the professors uses M**al+Zoom to organize breakout room activity. However, I prefer the functions in Miro. The following steps may help you to organize breakout room activity using Miro:

Before the lesson:

1. Create Miro templates for each group;
  2. Ask students to join in the thread (normally via emails, don’t forget to ask them to create an account);
  3. The teacher should be invited by each group, then you can join the collaborative work in the class;

In-class:

1. Set breakout rooms;
  2. Ask each group to work on the same thread;
  3. Use ‘share screen’ function in Zoom to let students share their work.

Hope it helps! Best wishes.

Xinyi Liang Cindy

Userlevel 1

Hello!  I am so happy to see this group support.  There is so much information currently available that I am having difficulty navigating through it all.  I would like to use Miro Boards for small group work in Zoom breakout rooms during synchronous classes and am not sure if this even possible, if not, I may just assign small groups in Canvas for them to use the Miro board to brainstorm.  Has anyone used Miro with Zoom? 

I would also be interested in any other ways people are using this tool in higher education.

Hi everyone! 

Totally agree with this request. 

The same topic, the same purpose. 

Please help if you know the solution!