use Miro for pre-meeting or after-meeting feedback

• 8 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Hallo, 

I am new to the community, setting up a new workshop for a group of people.

Before starting the meeting, I would love to ask a few questions to the participants:

• Filling out a small questionnaire (where they can select how they feel on a scale).
  • Adding a few topics to the meeting, by adding post-its.

They can see everything from each other. But I only want them to vote and to add post-its. Nothing else. (ideally, not changing their peers’ input)

Not during the meeting, but they can do that 2 weeks in advance? 

Do you have any ideas how to go about this?

greetings,

Stijn

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hallo, 

I am new to the community, setting up a new workshop for a group of people.

Before starting the meeting, I would love to ask a few questions to the participants:

• Filling out a small questionnaire (where they can select how they feel on a scale).
  • Adding a few topics to the meeting, by adding post-its.

They can see everything from each other. But I only want them to vote and to add post-its. Nothing else. (ideally, not changing their peers’ input)

Not during the meeting, but they can do that 2 weeks in advance? 

Do you have any ideas how to go about this?

greetings,

Stijn

I would recommend a couple of things:  

• Here’s the link to the emotion wheel in the icebreaker - that tackles the first one  https://miro.com/miroverse/emotions-wheel-icebreaker/
  • I would suggest making sure you have the ‘How To...sticky notes’ template available on the board - it gives a short set of instructions, a video then a practice area.  
  • To prevent them from looking at each others work - just give them room to work and then give them a tight deadline with the timer feature - they won’t have time to look at each others stuff!  :-)

Good luck!  

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi, Stijn,

As far as I know, filling up a form in Miro isn’t possible out of the box. Here are my thoughts on alternative ways. 

Questionnaire - This could possibly made into a grid matrix where the y-axis are the questions the x-axis columns, one for each unit in the scale. A user could simply place a post-it with their name in the column that matches how they feel for each question. 

Topics and voting - In a separate section in the board, users can add a post-it (or multiple) representing their idea. To vote, they could use emoji’s (which is very easy to increment and see the counter value, which makes it a great voting shortcut) or you could provide them with dot’s to copy and paste on a post-it to indicate their vote. As @Paul Snedden mentioned, you could add instructions asking them to not modify other peoples content and instead use comments to add their thoughts if required. 

Apps - I haven’t used this one, but you could play around with Google Forms app on the Miro marketplace. This seems to create a Miro card when a Google Form is submitted. This would mean that the entry point (questionnaire) will be outside of Miro but the results and voting could still happen in Miro. Note, although the app will create a card automatically, I believe it might still be editable to board members, but you could double-check that. If this doesn’t work, perhaps check other apps from the marketplace

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Unfortunately it's not in the Miroverse (yet, I'll add mine over the weekend) but you could use any number of activities to garner the emotions of team members.

I use one called the Cage Gauge a lot, where contributors place a dot over the face of Hollywood actor Nicholas Cage that best represents how they're feeling. More traditionally, you could use a First of Five activity, where the scale ranges from 0 to 5 and each number represents a particular emotion. eg 0 could be Angry and 5 could be Ecstatic.

As for people changing topics that people have raised, does that happen often? You could politely set some ground rules before your workshop to ask people to not do that. If it's one person doing it then discuss it with them to find out why. There may be a valid reason.

HTH