3 science-backed ways to help you run better meetings

• 28 April 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Our very own @Shipra Kayan is featured in this great article today in Fast Company. 

Shipra explains the simple principles that successful facilitators apply to make meetings more engaging for everyone.

Full article: https://www.fastcompany.com/90746457/3-science-backed-ways-to-help-you-run-better-meetings

Any questions for Shipra after reading this article? I have a hot tip that she loves the Miro Community and will be happy to answer any questions or join the conversation here with you all. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

And let’s not forget the article which @Lori Lewis , @Lisa Lambert, Linda Smit and I wrote last year for Miro on increasing engagement in virtual workshops: https://miro.com/blog/10-principles-of-energizing-virtual-facilitation/ 😉

Kiron

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Henrik Ståhl - Thanks for the questions!

1. Which are your top 3 Miroverse templates to activate systems 2 thinking?

Any meeting where you give participants time to read/write silently, or do pre-work before the meeting, will activate deeper systems 2 thinking. It’s hard to pick a specific template, this technique is about creating silent individual working space - no matter what the question is. 

All of Miro’s Smart Meeting templates follow this principle

• Pre-mortems are my favorite team activity - this is a solid template for your first pre-mortem. Or, a more positive alternative is the project kickoff template. 
  • V2MOM - developed at Salesforce is a really helpful framework to frame new projects and ideas. I love that they made a template for Miroverse!

2. Which are your top 3 Miroverse templates to make meetings more inclusive and foster a collective culture?

• The most important thing is for new folks on your team to feel equipped - a good onboarding doc is a must
  • The way we work - from Deloitte - this helps teams co-define their values and culture
  • Love Bomb of course - I use this multiple times a year to help my team re-connect with each other. 

3. How does one become a principal product evangelist?! Sounds sooo exciting! 😍

Yes indeed, I can attest it is a fun job :) Practical answer to your question is that there are three pre-requisites: 

1. You have been user/customer/buyer of the product you are evangelizing and can speak to their domain. e.g - I was one of the first 1000 customers of Miro back in the day and an early enterprise customer.  
  2. You have a point of view - a story - about why this product is important in the world. I can’t imagine any other product that I would be an appropriate evangelist for - well maybe 1 other product but that’s it. 
  3. You have an aptitude for understanding the needs of customers, connecting with their problems, and helping them solve it (with or without the product you are evangelizing). 

After that, like any other job, it’s being in the right place at the right time and being willing to take a leap of faith :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks for your answers @Shipra Kayan! I love d.labs’s onboarding template, it’s my all-time favorite Miroverse template. 💜

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Colleen Curtis I love this article, especially this goal:

Build a collective culture where people are less concerned about whose ideas are being put into action and more concerned that the best one is.

I have three questions for @Shipra Kayan:

1. Which are your top 3 Miroverse templates to activate systems 2 thinking?
  2. Which are your top 3 Miroverse templates to make meetings more inclusive and foster a collective culture?
  3. How does one become a principal product evangelist?! Sounds sooo exciting! 😍