Create Links to Local Files/ Network Drive

If we’re organizing our ideas in miro it would be nice to relate them to files on our local drives. You add an image, notes, whatever and create a link to specific file or folder on your local machine or a network drive. Instead of a URL, the link is a file path.

Use case: I’m an industrial designer. I use miro to organize my inspirations and to build collections and connections across multiple products. The visual organization is perfect for seeing how products relate. When an idea hits from looking at my board I can open up a folder location from miro and open the file for the 3D model of that product. 

I still have to manage my own file system, but if done carefully Miro can serve a whiteboard version of my own harddrive. 

Teams would utilize this feature via a shared network drive. 

I think links to stuff on local drive is a great idea

I think this is a great idea - another feature we would find very helpful would be linking a folder (either locally or via Google Drive) AND having a live display of its contents in Miro (see all files at a glance):

Use case:

we are re-organising our office standard/template/guidance documents so that new members can locate useful resources easily. We have created a diagrammatic map in Miro to show the folder structure, and would be great if the end of each path could show the actual contents of the bottom folder so that you can directly see where you need to go to find any file. 

Finally, Drive folders currently link as URLs and can only open via a browser. What about making it possible to open directly with Finder (in Mac - or the Windows equivalent)? Since our team, for example, has Drive folders shown in the sidebar of Finder and uses that to navigate, it would be an experience much closer to accessing a shared drive rather than being forced to open a browser just to see a file location - which you then have to find in your Finder again.

I hope the above make sense.

Thank you very much

I agree wholeheartedly with you - this feature would mean so much for me.

Linking to local network folders or files is especially useful for video sharing of content protected by NDA, captured on a cellphone.

Maybe a proper file URI handling is one idea. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme 

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1

+1 <3

+100

@vdfdfs 

+100

We miss this feature every day. Both for client and internal projects.

Is there any news about considering this? 

Hey all, 
I developed linkyourfile.com for this problem. It allows you to create https web links to local files and folders. It also works for network shares and synced cloud provider folders like e.g. dropbox. I think that would be a good option for all of you who want to create links for internal projects in miro.

It is basically a desktop application that will open the path inside your created link on your local machine via a browser redirect. It is available for mac and windows. Maybe give it a try.