Adding audio files to the boards

Related products: Other

Hello! 

I’m an English teacher and it would be great if I could add audio files to my boards. It’s very important for my students to be able to listen to different recordings. Please, try to add this option.

Thank you! I love this platform!

@Liudmyla Yarova - This idea already exists. Please add your vote here:

https://community.miro.com/ideas/upload-audio-files-to-the-board-300

@Liudmyla Yarova As a workaround, you can upload your files to SoundCloud or a similar service and then embed them on your boards. 🙂

@Henrik Ståhl I also posted in the link that @Robert Johnson recommended (THANKS!), but do you have recommendations for any other audio services?

SoundCloud embeds aren’t fully supported, because clicking on the waveform to scrub doesn’t work. The play/pause button does.

@Henrik Ståhl I also posted in the link that @Robert Johnson recommended (THANKS!), but do you have recommendations for any other audio services?

SoundCloud embeds aren’t fully supported, because clicking on the waveform to scrub doesn’t work. The play/pause button does.

Does the scrubbing feature work when embedded elsewhere? If so, make this is a bug specific to Miro and should be reported. For a test elsewhere, I often use Google Sites. If you have an example SoundCloud file and wanted to share the embed code, I could dump it into my Google Sites test page and send you a  link to it.

@TORLEY - As for other services supported by Miro, the list is here:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730993-Embedding-media-to-boards#Recommended_services

Uploading an audio file to YouTube could be one option.

@Robert Johnson Yes, it’s a bug specific to Miro and I’ve reported it. SoundCloud embeds work on many sites, but not as-expected here.

I also confirm taking a look at that list, but it lists video, not audio-specific sites.

Audio CANNOT be uploaded to YouTube as-is, and requires a “video song” maker or another intermediary, so it’s not a solution for fast drag-and-drop and iteration.

@Robert Johnson Yes, it’s a bug specific to Miro and I’ve reported it. SoundCloud embeds work on many sites, but not as-expected here.

I also confirm taking a look at that list, but it lists video, not audio-specific sites.

Audio CANNOT be uploaded to YouTube as-is, and requires a “video song” maker or another intermediary, so it’s not a solution for fast drag-and-drop and iteration.

To be clear, if you are referring to clicking on the waveform to move around the track, there does appear to be a bug specific to (at least) the Miro desktop app. I just tested this in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge (64-bit) on Windows 11 and moving around the waveform by clicking on it (or using the arrow keys) is working for me.

At the same time, I noted that the Ctrl + Shift + L shortcut is not copying the board link to my clipboard either - I will report that.

@Robert Johnson I APPRECIATE your precision and your animated gif! Really helpful. Yes, I should’ve clarified I mainly use the Miro desktop app and didn’t realize there was a difference between that and the web browser version.

Idea merged into:

All the votes from this idea have been transferred.

I have found a workaround that allows you to use iframes to embed videos and audio you may have on your google drive (not sure of other formats) that you can then play on a Miro board.

Not sure if anyone has already laid this out, if so, apologies for being duplicative. 

In Google Drive (the web version, not for Drive for Desktop) if you click on a video file or an audio file it will open it in a player window directly within Drive. If you click on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner. Then towards the bottom of that menu is an option to “open in a new window”. Click on that and the media will open in a new tab which looks virtually identical to the one you were just in. Click on the three dots in the upper right corner again. In that drop down menu, this time, will be an option to “embed item...”. Selecting that will open an overlay with the embed <iframe> code. Copy that and paste it into the </> embed tool on a Miro board and you can play your media on the board.

Caveats are you need to have permissions to access the media, so anyone who has access to the board will need access to the file - or you can change the restriction of the file on Drive. Video files do not show a preview thumbnail, unlike YouTube links. If you want to change the player resolution from the default 640x480 you need to change it in the </> embed tool on the Miro board when you embed it.

If this helps you, enjoy and do a little happy dance!

Hey it would be great if the audio play feature comes in-built or external services like Google Drive or Dropbox. I see that a alternative mentioned above like iframe, but it’s kind a busy that it can’t be implemented for large number of files..

Updated idea statusIdeaDuplicate Idea (closed)
Idea merged into:

All the votes from this idea have been transferred.