How Do You Miro? Retrospective Templates Challenge 🔮

How Do You Miro? Retrospective Templates Challenge 🔮
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi Miro Heroes :sparkles:

Last month, Miroverse turned the grand old age of one, and it got us thinking about how far we’ve come — and how far we still have to go. We used this milestone as an opportunity to reflect on the successes and failures of the past year, drawing insights to help us better prepare for the future of Miroverse.

Teams familiar with the Agile methodology call this process a “retrospective” and typically don’t wait for a whole year. Some find it’s most useful at the end of an entire project, quarter, sprint, or event.

Today, we’re kicking off the next Miro templates contest: How Do You Miro? Retrospective Templates Challenge 🔮 This contest is all about reflection and learning. We’d love to see your favorite activities for looking back and envisioning the future, so please share your best retrospective examples with the community on Miro. 

Challenge details

:calendar:  Timing

• Submission period: June 1-28

• Voting & judging: June 28 - July 5

• Winners announced: July 5

:ballot_box:  Voting & judging

• Judges' Choice will be awarded by our panel of expert judges. Submissions are judged on their ease of use, layout, and that special fun factor.

• People’s Choice award will be based on top likes under the comment here in the online community. Make sure to vote for your favourite template by July 5 ☝️

:gift:  Prizes

• Judges’ Choice - iPad & exclusive Miro branded cover & Apple Pencil 

• People’s Choice - AirPods & exclusive Miro branded case

• :sunglasses:  Miro swag to all participants

• All submissions are considered for Miroverse 

• Winners will be featured on Miroverse and in a roundup blog post on the Miro Blog

How to participate

:pencil:  To enter, please add a comment in this thread with the following details:

• Your full name
  • Role and company
  • Miro board embedded with your template (view access)
  • Instructions on how to use the template
  • [Optional] 1-3 min video overview of your template

:warning:  Entry requirements

• Created and designed using Miro
  • All information must belong to the board owner (we will reject all submissions containing copyright-protected content on board)
  • Must be in English
  • Your template must be submitted to Miroverse before the challenge deadline
  • By participating in the challenge, you agree that your submission may be published and used for promotional activities by Miro

:nerd:  Judges

• Community Guest Judge: @Johanna Torstensson - certified professional Agile Coach in Sweden passionate about coaching and team dynamics. Her mission is to create opportunities for teams to collaborate, where they leave the workshop or meeting with energy and a feeling of really having accomplished something awesome together. 
    See Johanna’s Sailboat Retrospective Template in Miroverse

• Miro Knowledge Expert: @Lindsey Meredith - Product Marketing Manager at Miro. Lindsey has worked closely with Product and UX teams for the last seven years on developing and implementing remote collaboration practices in their teams. 
    See Lindsey’s Facilitating Agile Retrospectives Workshop template in Miroverse

• Miroverse Team Judge: @Mariam Danielian - Mariam coordinates the content production for Miro templates and oversees Miroverse templates library publications. She is inspired by the creativity of Miro users who turn an endless empty canvas into a universe of their own creation and is passionate about sharing their work with others. 

Happy collaborating and good luck!  :rocket:

:question:  FAQs

The template is awesome! Can I use/copy it? 

All templates should eventually be added to Miroverse, so please stay tuned! If you need this template right away, please reach out to the author directly.

Can I post more than one template?

Yes.

How to embed the board?

It’s easy! All you need to do is to choose Embed media under the three-dots menu and paste the Miro board URL. Make sure to accept cookies to be able to embed the board.

-cRu-qDUbfojJrZ7LEMdUb24Q2qeOv3HWYk2mLUZkrsXiAcv8zX6iu3NV_SOUdUu7aQQMaDOkZ6Jvjmwsk2vWCM70iMapQaTtiNSfA5aM2kVHtsH2DSouo1h5bJLWV2Loqcoh2bQ

:bulb:  Check your board’s Start view as it defines the board preview in the embed. You can set the start view by right-clicking on a blank space on the board and choosing the corresponding option.

I can’t embed the board. ‘The provided domain is not supported’ error

Please accept cookies in order to be able to embed the Miro board.

Can I win both prizes? 

No, one submission can’t win both awards. If there’s such a case, then the People’s Choice will go to the submission with the second largest number of likes.

How to submit my template to Miroverse? 

Just go to https://miro.com/miroverse/ and click Publish your board in the bottom right corner.

37 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Looking forward to seeing retrospectives taken to the next level!  Retrospectives are one of the most popular templates @ Miroverse so I can’t wait to see what you will come up with :cowboy: 

We will be looking for creative, visual and innovative approach that will make retros much more fun and helpful for teams! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

The Aussie Animals Retro

• Your full name - Chris Stone 
  • Role and company - Enterprise Agile Coach - The Virtual Agile Coach
  • Miro board embedded with your template (view access) - Embedded above
  • Instructions on how to use the template - Included in the template

Entry number 1 of many ;)

Userlevel 3
Badge

The Dungeons N Dragons Retro

Entry number 2 of many ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Chris Stone Those templateslook incredible, mate. All the best for the contest! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Chris Stone Those templateslook incredible, mate. All the best for the contest! 

I’ve created some 46 retro templates so far I believe, all available in Miro.

This competition could become the Chris Stone show if I’m not careful.. haha

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Chris Stone Hahaha I’m sure the judges will be impartial 🙂 Now I know who to go to for retro templates inspiration. I’ve never played DnD in my life but THAT one, I might just learn how to play/do the DnD retro!

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Chris Stone Hahaha I’m sure the judges will be impartial 🙂 Now I know who to go to for retro templates inspiration. I’ve never played DnD in my life but THAT one, I might just learn how to play/do the DnD retro!

I had never played DnD before either! 

I am currently working on Jumanji board game and Trivial pursuit themed retros. Bringing fun back to the workplace!

If you need inspiration, check out the whole catalog of my retros here; www.thevirtualagilecoach.co.uk/retros

All freely available. No sign ups or restrictions

Userlevel 3
Badge

The Ramadan Retro

- Explore as a team through some of the principles and practices of Ramadan where you could reflect as a team, build new habits together or promote greater balance. Also challenge yourselves to see how you could be greater allies to our Muslim colleagues.

Userlevel 3
Badge

The Pride Retro

A brand new template as it’s Pride Month.

- Explore through some of the underlying Pride themes where you could reflect as a team, the things you loved, the pride you have, as well as how you can enable each other to bring your whole selves to work.

Also challenge yourselves to see how you could be greater allies to our LGBTQ colleagues

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

An agile retrospective: Marvellous comic book edition

• Your full name - Steven Sampson-Jones
  • Role and company - Agile Coach on Universal Credit, UK Government
  • Miro board embedded with your template (view access) - Embedded below, and submitted for approval to the Miroverse.
  • Instructions on how to use the template - facilitation guide is built into the template. Bonus content, my first ever YouTube video can also be seen below "walking the board".

'Marvel' at my hand-drawn illustrations (8.5 hours/9000 pen strokes), which I've built to replicate reading a comic book into Miro. A first of its kind, to my knowledge shared with the community. I'm sure this brings back some nostalgia for many readers, and this particular format captures my own personality traits and love for drawing, visual/remote facilitation and Agile delivery. I hope y'all enjoy using this fun template as much as I did putting this idea into motion. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Outstanding @Steven Sampson-Jones. Knew I could trust you to produce the goods! If only I had your drawing skills.

These look fantastic @Steven Sampson-Jones 

Absolutely fantastic @Steven Sampson-Jones - love it.  You make my life so much easier……...

@Steven Sampson-Jones Love this… your drawing skills put me to shame. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

An NBA Retrospective Session

• Your full name - Dave Westgarth
  • Role and company - Digital PM, Civil Service
  • Miro board embedded with your template (view access) - Embedded below
    (Also has been submitted for approval via Miroverse)
  • Instructions on how to use the template - 
    Stage 1 Icebreaker - Build the best 3v3 team possible on $12 budget then try and combine individual versions into the team selection (Don’t forget to name the team!)
    Stage 2 Retro Themes - Travel around the board covering several themes and feelings to spark debate and conversation
    Stage 3 Rate the Retro - Ratings from 1 (Waste of time) up to 5 (Productive and useful session)

Hopefully one the basketball and sports fans can get their teeth into! :basketball::sunglasses::basketball:

https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_lS_iyx8=/

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@DWestgarth It’s both a ‘slam dunk’ and 3 pointer!

Really fantastic work @Steven Sampson-Jones , Love it. Can’t wait to use it for my teams

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

• Your full name - Steven Sampson-Jones
  • Role and company - Agile Coach on Universal Credit, UK Government
  • Miro board embedded with your template (view access) - Embedded above, has been submitted for approval via Miroverse. All visuals have been drawn and produced by yours truly, or put together using Miro’s sticky-notes!
    Set the stage - The (Optimus) Prime Directive - set expectations and contribute towards the psychological safety of the session.
    Icebreaker - “This or That” conversational exercise, which will help build people connections and allow participants to find their voice at the outset.
    Generate insights - Participants add suggestions, concerns and kudos through the visual prompts; Sonic - iteration/pace of delivery), Donkey Kong - overcoming hurdles, Super Mario (Powered-Up ways of working and colleagues), Crash Bandicoot - how are the team damaging themselves or their users and Cuphead/Mugman - how effectively do we work as a team?
  • Decide what to do - Affinity sort stickies into related groups and allow time for participants to use the Pac-Man (hand drawn) voting counters for them to distribute as they wish. 20-40 minute brainstorm and discuss experiments to take into the next sprint/timebox.
  • Close the show - return of time invested/fist of five, was this format/session a Hi-Score on the “Arcade Leadboard”. 1st place (1 finger - excellent) to 5th place (4 fingers and a thumb - must do better).
Userlevel 4
Badge +5

An agile retrospective: Marvellous comic book edition

• Your full name - Steven Sampson-Jones
  • Role and company - Agile Coach on Universal Credit, UK Government
  • Miro board embedded with your template (view access) - Embedded below, and submitted for approval to the Miroverse.
  • Instructions on how to use the template - facilitation guide is built into the template. Bonus content, my first ever YouTube video can also be seen below "walking the board".

'Marvel' at my hand-drawn illustrations (8.5 hours/9000 pen strokes), which I've built to replicate reading a comic book into Miro. A first of its kind, to my knowledge shared with the community. I'm sure this brings back some nostalgia for many readers, and this particular format captures my own personality traits and love for drawing, visual/remote facilitation and Agile delivery. I hope y'all enjoy using this fun template as much as I did putting this idea into motion. 

LOVE!

Userlevel 2
  • Your full name: Martina Bonetti
  • Role and company: Service designer @Accenture Interactive Amsterdam

Here is my design team’s end of the year retrospective template :)
After a whole year away from the office, we all felt a need for connection and belonging. This is why our yearly retrospective was studio-themed!

The whole virtual workshop space is an illustration of our beautiful building. I sprinkled pictures of some rooms and some colleagues to bring up some memories and set the mood.

The session starts by entering the front door, and as you progress through the exercises you move through different rooms and make your way up to the top.

For the session wrap up the exercises continue in the nearby building, which represents our team’s favourite bar, where every Friday we would have drinks.

Instructions:
The session is organised in two parts, which can be run as separate shorter workshops.

• Session 1 - Individual reflection
    The aim of this section is allowing every team member to reflect on how the year went.
    In order to allow everyone to share, it’s recommended to split the group into breakouts of maximum 4.
    The first exercise is a warm up to recollect highs and lows of the year.
    The second exercise focuses on projects in order to find what makes a good or a bad one, and inform our leads on how to better staff the team and ongoing issues.
    The third exercise looks at skills and asks everyone to think of what they like applying, what they want to learn and what they could teach others. The result of this exercise will allow the team to set up knowledge sharing sessions throughout the year and organise appropriate trainings.
    The conclusion wraps up the individual reflection setting actions and prioritising what to start doing in the next year.

• Session 2 - team reflection
    The second part of the workshop aims at painting the current status of the team and it is to be run with the full group.
    The first exercise maps every team member’s core skills to identify strengths and weaknesses, which will help informing training and hiring decisions.
    The second exercise focuses on team activities and cultures, and it aims at creating actions for everyone to pick up as a group.
    The third exercise is a group prioritisation that sets goals for next year and creates accountability for the team.
    The conclusion is a mission statement for the next year, which every team member can use to remember actions and motivations.

More instructions can be found within the template.

I hope more teams can personalise this template to represent their own culture and enjoy a moment of reflection :)

__PRESENT

Userlevel 3
Badge

A Formula 1 Retrospective Session

• Your full name - Dave Westgarth
  • Role and company - Digital PM, Civil Service
  • Miro board embedded with your template (view access) - Embedded below
    (Also has been submitted for approval via Miroverse)
    Stage 1 Icebreaker - Attach an image of your dream car and explain to the team why you love it!
    Stage 2 Retro Themes - Travel around the board covering different themes and conversation topics to generate some debate and discussion among the team.
    Stage 3 Rate the Retro - Ratings from 1 (Waste of time) up to 5 (Productive and useful session)

Another sporty retro that will hopefully appeal to all of our motorsport/ car people! 😎🚙🚗

https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_I-Sizfs=/

WOMEN IN TECH RETRO

This board has been created to inspire, celebrate and connect women working in tech​.

• Your full name: Sandra Kaul
  • Role and company: Founder & Agile Coach at KIWIBLAU
  • Miro board embedded with your template (view access):

Instructions on how to use the template:

• Silent brainstorming: Go through the questions, get to know these amazing ladies by following the links and write down your ideas and reflections
  • Travel around the board to generate some debate and discussion among the team.
  • Rate the Retro from 1 (what a waste of time) to 10 (awesome)
Userlevel 1

Hi here is our ‘Richer Retrospectives’ Miro board….

• Your full name: Laurence Wood
  • Role and company: Digital Leadership Coach with North Highland UK

Instructions on how to use the template:

This informal retro is fast to learn. It helps teams to discuss their challenges, assess their performance, and decide on an improvement they wish to focus on next. The orange universal cards help any team using any approach. Teams adopting Agile will value the green fusion cards. The pink cards are Agile-specific for more mature teams. Facilitators sometimes review the cards in advance and stack them so that players are not distracted by reading ahead. Putting the most pertinent cards at the top can help engage the team quickly.

• Gather together and read out the instructions:

• Take turns to read out a card. Discuss and decide which heading to put it under. There are no right answers - rich conversations and focussed improvements are key. You don’t need to play all the cards in your first session.

• Reserve the last 10 minutes to decide as a team which is the most interesting item - the one that you all want to focus on improving next. Some teams use the dots to vote. Highlight it using the Focus target icon. Consider adding stickies showing owner, task etc.

• Discuss how you all hope this card will move across the board as you improve. Ensure that you can measure success. Consider writing a clear goal together. Agree when you will next reassess the focus item to see if you have improved. Repeat the activity above soon - you will accelerate and evolve how you use it in your context. Tweet ideas or questions to @AgileLozenge
Userlevel 3
Badge +5

The 4-Step Retrospective

1. Your full name - Clyde D’Souza
  2. Role and company - Software developer at Xero. Author of Mama, Tell Me a Story.
  3. Miro board embedded with your template (view access) - The 4-Step Retrospective board
  4. Instructions on how to use the template - Details below.

Embedded board:

Instructions:

The 4-step retrospective board is intended to quickly add a simple retrospective template for your retro sessions. This covers the following four areas:

• Let's appreciate others - Recognize your teammates for their fabulous work they've been putting in.

• What went well? - Reflect and celebrate the various aspects that went well during the last sprint.

• What can we do better? - Reflect on the things that didn't go so well and write down what would have been done better in that situation.

• Actions for next sprint - Record actionable items that you and your teammates could do for the next sprint.

This template and the instructions can also be found on Miroverse.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Retrospective in the Island of Golocans

1. Your full name - Clyde D’Souza
  2. Role and company - Software developer at Xero. Author of Mama, Tell Me a Story.
  3. Miro board embedded with your template (view access) - Retrospective in the Island of Golocans board
  4. Instructions on how to use the template - Details below.

Embedded board:

Instructions:

The Island of Golocans has four very unique characteristics. The West has an abundance of sweet fruits, green hills and plenty of trees for some shade during peak summer. Apparently, the North of this island has some hidden gold coins near a lighthouse. In this region, one might spot plenty of starfish, too. The East coast is notorious for invading pirates — not all of them make it through the rough seas, though. The few that make it have to then climb up very uncomfortable rocks and only then will they be able to enter this island. Finally, the South Island, which is also known as Golifish, is connected with a wooden bridge. This region is very popular with voyagers who often come here and leave notes in glass bottles for future readers. They often also leave items of significance, like a compass, for guiding their journey to this island. 

When performing a retrospective on the Island of Golocans, remember to cover all four directions:

• Sweet fruits! What went well during the last sprint? Add a post-it note with your thoughts and celebrate your wins.

• Hidden gold! Give your team a shout-out for the amazing work they've been putting in, the nuggets of information they provide, and for just being an awesome person to work with. 

• Pirates on the shore! This doesn't sound good, does it? Recall what didn't go well in the last sprint and write them down on each post-it note.

• Message in a bottle! Record action points for the future. If you've thought of actionable items you and your teammates could work on to ensure that things can be better in the next sprint, make a note of them. If you have general ideas that can be implemented in the next sprint, make a note of them, too! 

Have a pleasant time exploring this island!

This template and the instructions can also be found on Miroverse.