How Do You Miro? Miro 101 Templates Challenge

• 8 September 2020
  • 21 replies
How Do You Miro? Miro 101 Templates Challenge
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

:hand_splayed_tone2: Hi Miro Heroes, 

Once again, the Miro Community has pulled through. Your sharing, your helpfulness, and your passion for collaboration have inspired us to launch the next installment in our series How Do You Miro. It was this thread on the community that gave us our new topic.

Workshop facilitators quite often face the situation when the meeting participants are brand new to Miro, and it is extremely important to teach them the basics of Miro to quickly onboard them into a workshop to start collaborating right away. So what are the best practices to get everyone up to the same speed?

:rocket:  We are happy to announce our second official challenge How Do You Miro? Miro 101! Share your own sandboxes/play areas/cheat sheets for Miro newbies. 

:pencil:  Challenge details

The challenge starts today, September 8th, and will last until September 27th.

We will announce the winners the following week to give our judges enough time to find our Judges Choice. Submissions will be judged for their creativity and ease of use.

People’s Choice award will be based on top likes under the comment here in the online community. :point_up_tone2:  Make sure to vote for your favourite template by September 27th

How to participate:

To enter, all you need to do is to embed the board with your template in the comments below. Make sure to include the following details to your message:

• Full Name
  • Role and Company
  • Instructions on how to use the template
  • A 1-3 min video overview of your template (optional)

Entry requirements:

• All information must be available within the board

• Created and designed with Miro

• Must be in English

• By accepting the challenge, you agree that your submission may be published and used for promotional activities by Miro.

How to embed a board:

It’s easy! All you need to do is to choose Embed media under the three-dots menu and paste the Miro board URL.

-cRu-qDUbfojJrZ7LEMdUb24Q2qeOv3HWYk2mLUZkrsXiAcv8zX6iu3NV_SOUdUu7aQQMaDOkZ6Jvjmwsk2vWCM70iMapQaTtiNSfA5aM2kVHtsH2DSouo1h5bJLWV2Loqcoh2bQ

:bulb: Make sure to check your board’s Start view as it defines the board preview in the embed. You can set the start view by right-clicking on blank space on the board and choosing the corresponding option.

:warning: Make sure to also accept cookies in order to be able to embed the Miro board. If you don’t accept cookies, an error The provided domain is not supported’ occurs.

:nerd:  Judges

To choose the best templates, we have the following panel of judges:

• Martina Crnkovic - As the Training and Development Expert at Q Experience, Martina enjoys knowing that every day she is able to help somebody become better, acquire new knowledge, and develop new skills. She is a passionate Miro Hero and gladly extends that passion to her coworkers and friends. 

• Kristin Leitch - Kristin leads product marketing efforts for the Miro templates experience. She champions the Miro pioneers, partners, and knowledge experts that are revealing the endless possibilities of Miro every day.

• Rachel Nagrecha - Rachel is a Customer Education Manager at Miro and looks after Miro Academy. Her goal is to fill the Academy with as many real world examples as possible to inspire and educate our customers. She’s especially passionate about the education and nonprofit sectors - reach out to learn more!

:gift:  Prizes

• Judges Choice - iPad & Pencil 
  • People's Choice - AirPods 

Other submissions will automatically be considered for Miroverse

Go Miro Heroes! :rocket:

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Marina -

Great idea!

Here’s my submission:

• Kiron Bondale
  • Senior Consultant, World Class Productivity Inc.
  • Follow the instructions in the sandbox itself :grin:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

My name is David Read. I’m a Product Designer at Chrometoaster in Wellington, New Zealand.

Like most of the world, we were thrust into lockdown earlier this year and needed to quickly refine the way we worked. Zoom and Miro became staples of our daily work and home life.

Our founder Dave Turnbull developed this great orientation board to help our team and clients get started with Miro. We’ve been using it ever since. It’s a great way to introduce newcomers to the tool and get them up and running quickly.

Navigate through the boards and familiarise yourself/others with the tools, functionality and UI as you go. There are a few fun tasks along the way to help out.

Enjoy.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi!

Kim Howe

Principal Facilitator & Designer - CoCreative Labs

Orientation Board: 

How to use it:

We this to all new Miro users a week in advance of an event, then follow up with 3 day, 1 day, and 2 hour reminders.  The aim is to let people wander around and get comfortable with navigation and basic features at their own pace and to the level they desire.

During live onboarding we go over a few other features of Miro that are better with a group, such as “follow me” and hide cursors, as well as the frames and map features.

We have 2 versions:  one with the “do not unlock” instructions for participants on free teams and one without for guest editors on boards in a paid account who don’t even have the option to unlock.

Thanks!

Userlevel 2

I came here for inspiration and am very impressed. 

Hi!

Kim Howe

Principal Facilitator & Designer - CoCreative Labs

Orientation Board: https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_kkjtXHM=/

How to use it:

We this to all new Miro users a week in advance of an event, then follow up with 3 day, 1 day, and 2 hour reminders.  The aim is to let people wander around and get comfortable with navigation and basic features at their own pace and to the level they desire.

During live onboarding we go over a few other features of Miro that are better with a group, such as “follow me” and hide cursors, as well as the frames and map features.

We have 2 versions:  one with the “do not unlock” instructions for participants on free teams and one without for guest editors on boards in a paid account who don’t even have the option to unlock.

Thanks!

Uhhh. this is AMAZING, can I please copy this?

Userlevel 2

I came here to find some inspiration, and I sure did! I need as much help as I can get to create more inviting Miro boards. This is the ‘START HERE’ page that we use. It could definitely use some tweaks here and there I am REALLY impressed with Kim Roth Howe and would really love to steal her ideas. Its perfect for my needs

Cynthia Burgess
FLYN consulting
Ops manager/cat herder/figure outer of things

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi everyone

We’re excited to be part of this challenge. Here are my details, our board for Miro newbies, and a bit about us.

• Matt Stocker
  • Director, Stocker Partnership (a strategy and innovation consultancy)
  • Getting to grips with Miro board: 

We share this board with workshop participants in advance of an event. The workshops we run often require a high degree of engagement and activity on Miro and the aim of the board is for it to equip Miro beginners with the skills they will need to actively participate.

We have designed the board to be self explanatory. When I was thinking about the design, my biggest concern for somebody who had never used Miro before was that they might get lost on the board and have no way of finding their way or understanding what any of the menu functions were. I have therefore tried to structure the steps in such a way as to reflect the order in which a beginner will need to get to grips with different functions and to highlight where these can be found on the screen. For example, the user hopefully lands first on the board in a place that helps them navigate using either a mouse or a trackpad.

I have also tried to attain a balance between what somebody might need to know as a beginner and the skills we need a workshop participant to have to be able to use Miro effectively during our time with them, which can include some of the more advanced functionality such as uploading screenshots and embedding web links.

Hope you enjoy exploring our board and design!

-----------

ps. Just to say that I also was unable to embed the board and got the same message as @Cynthia Burgess “Provided domain is not supported”. @Robert Johnson I triple checked that the share settings were anyone with the link can view, so I think there may be a bug? I’ve uploaded a screenshot instead.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Very nice @Matt Stocker !   Super thorough but not overwhelming.  The arrows make it easy to follow.  I’ll probably borrow some ideas to spice mine up a bit!

Badge

Hello!

My name is Andrea Weissenbuehler working as a UX Designer and Design Thinking Lead at DXC Technology.

How We Do It

This little Miro board is designed to onboard our workshop participants quickly and easily, most importantly putting them at ease using a new tool. There is a lot of anxiety out there! We keep it simple using sticky notes and voting to get our collaborations started. We lock things on the board to make these first Miro interactions as trouble-free as possible. We make this a lighthearted and easy exercise to make it fun and less of a chore.

Inviting Miro Users

A few days prior to workshops we send an email with a link (for guest editors) to our “Miro icebreaker” explaining we will use this collaborative tool called Miro and “in just a few minutes you will learn how to use it share your ideas.” We make it optional yet have had many people participate.

Optional Guided Tour

For those who prefer a personal tour we hold “office hours” or a couple of optional 15 minute meetings where workshop attendees can meet us and try out Miro with our help.

These simple steps have helped get people ready for workshops with little stress and many smiles!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello Miro Community!

Here is my proposal :nerd::point_down_tone4:

Basics made Visual

https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_knf-OKA=/?moveToWidget=3074457350097351851&cot=12

Piera Mattioli
Service Designer at Essense

How to use the template:
Use the board as a visual support to explain the basics tools to hold a collaborative meeting:

1. How to navigate the space:
- Moving around by either using the touchpad with two fingers or pressing V or Space and using the hand cursor to move around;
- Zooming in and out.
The attendee is now ready to explore the board!

2. Basics tool to collaborate in a meeting:
- Arrow to select elements on the board;
- Post-it notes to write down your ideas;
- Comments, to leave feedbacks and mention a colleague.

I hope you like it! :hugging:
Piera

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

This is so lovely @Maria Piera Mattioli !  Do you send the board in advance, or do you walk the group through it as an opening orientation activity?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi folks,

About me

• Robert Johnson
  • Business Systems Analyst, The Co-operators Group Ltd.

Last, but hopefully not least, here is my submission. This board is nothing like my previous Getting to know Miro board. I’ve had ideas floating around in my brain for nearly a year now and this contest was the final push I needed, so thank you!

Not only is this a template challenge, this was a me challenge as my analytical muscle is way bigger than my creative one, so needless to say it took me way longer than the average bear to get this to the state where I could make the submission deadline. What I had to tell myself over and over: “This is not a Miro training guide! It doesn’t need to cover EVERYTHING! You need to sleep, Rob!”

Inspirations behind the design

• Highlight Miro’s infinite canvas and how it supports non-linear thinking/creation.
  • Use Miro-specific terms as much as possible with the hopes of increased efficiencies gained by a common language - and if they go looking for help, they’ll have a better chance at finding the answer more quickly.
  • Use of Miro icons and colors make the experience seem as familiar and Miro-ee as possible, just like they were doing it on their own in a board for the first time… which they kinda are? (It has been a long day.)
  • Having some quick video demo embedded right in the board using GIFs
  • Including links to relevant help articles to encourage participants--at least the keeners--to read more about the topic/feature.

Instructions

• Facilitator → Ideally you’d send each participant their own copy of the board otherwise it won’t look as intended for the next person.
  • Participant →  The instructions are in the board.

If anyone would like a copy of this, private message me in the forum with your email address and I will send you a copy of the board.

Cheers!

Rob

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

This is outstanding Robert.  Very comprehensive, very accessible, very simple.  Well done!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kim Roth Howe  - Thanks! Your board is stellar!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello everyone :relaxed: 

Many thanks to all participants for joining this challenge and for your amazing submissions! What a cool opportunity to see how you miro :heart_eyes: 

We are closing this thread for new submissions, and take a week to come up with the winners. Please stay tuned! We will get back to you on October, 5th :hourglass_flowing_sand: 

:bulb: By the way, People’s Choice will still be open until October, 5th so get voting! Share a link to this thread with your network and get their support :wink: (NOTE: we only count the likes under your comment here in the online community).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi everyone and especially @Kiron Bondale @David Read @Kim Roth Howe @Cynthia Burgess @Matt Stocker @Andrea Weissenbuehler @Maria Piera Mattioli @Robert Johnson :blush:

Today we are happy to announce the winners of this Miro 101 Templates Challenge :confetti_ball:

Ladies and gentlemen, 

:drum::drum::drum:  The winners are:

Yay! Our congratulations! :clap_tone2::clap_tone2::clap_tone2:

I will reach out to the winners shortly to get the details to send the prizes :gift:  
Also, I will send a message to all the participants with the judges’ comments on your boards :wink:  

We want to thank everyone for participating in this challenge and sharing your awesome boards! Most of these Miro 101 boards will soon appear in our Miroverse and will become available to all Miro users.

:rocket: No more challenges and frustration for newbies. Quick and fun onboarding, and comfortable collaboration instead! :rocket:

:blue_heart: Stay safe everyone and stay tuned for our next challenges! :blue_heart:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Congratulations @Kim Roth Howe!  A BIG thanks to Miro for putting together this challenge and to everyone who took the time submit these awesome entries and to those who voted :thumbsup::smile: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Congratulations @Kim Roth Howe & @Robert Johnson and great work to everyone who participated in the challenge!

Userlevel 2

Good job everyone! Thanks for so many great ideas and collaborations. I wish i had more time to creat, but now I have some great ideas!

Userlevel 5

Amazing work, everyone & congrats to the winners :clap_tone1:

Hi folks,

About me

• Robert Johnson
  • Business Systems Analyst, The Co-operators Group Ltd.

Last, but hopefully not least, here is my submission. This board is nothing like my previous Getting to know Miro board. I’ve had ideas floating around in my brain for nearly a year now and this contest was the final push I needed, so thank you!

Not only is this a template challenge, this was a me challenge as my analytical muscle is way bigger than my creative one, so needless to say it took me way longer than the average bear to get this to the state where I could make the submission deadline. What I had to tell myself over and over: “This is not a Miro training guide! It doesn’t need to cover EVERYTHING! You need to sleep, Rob!”

If anyone would like a copy of this, private message me in the forum with your email address and I will send you a copy of the board.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

You created an amazing board. It is clear, simple and beautiful. After seeing your creation, I have no intention to do a better one. I hope you will be successful with it :)

Kind regards,

Carolyn

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi everyone,

The blog post based on this templates challenge is live :tada:

Check it out: How to onboard first-time Miro users before a workshop