Answered

Unlock one of a group of shapes

• 20 October 2020
  • 5 replies

I seem to have no problem locking and unlocking objects individually or as a group, however when I select multiple objects and lock them, I am unable to unlock an individual object from that group.  They all unlock as one.

In my application, I have a template I’ve built and locked down for folks to place postits on, however during use someone discovered a typo.  I need to unlock just the boxes/text associated with the typo and not the entirety of the template.  At this point the board is in use so I cannot reasonably unlock all, change the typo, and relock the items belonging to the template while unselecting all the user entered data.

Is there a solution?  Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 20 October 2020, 21:11

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Doug Leeder - I know you discovered this to be true already, but for those who didn’t already know, I believe @Jonathan White said it best here in that, 

Unfortunately, you have to unlock objects the same way you locked them. If you selected a bunch of objects and locked them, you need to unlock the same set of objects and cannot unlock just one object in that cluster. If you lock one at a time, you need to unlock one at a time, you cannot group multiple locked objects and unlock them.

Unfortunately I don’t think it is possible at this time to target (and unlock) individual objects that were locked as a group.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

It is a sad but true fact @Doug Leeder. @Robert Johnson’s quote is accurate.

I appreciate the responses.  Apologies for not finding the original article myself.  gotta work on my googling.

would be a great option!

I use Miro daily - love the tool - and this is my #1 pain point.  Currently, we can lock and unlock in groups, but what we need is the ability to lock and unlock in bulk.  

When I lock/unlock more than one item at a time, it’s for speed. I don’t need Miro to remember which items I locked at the same time.  I’d like all of the items I select for locking to lock as individual items (without being grouped as a locked set), so that I can later go back and unlock one, several OR all of those items. 

As-is Impacts: 

• I have to unlock ALL items that are locked together get to the ones I want to unlock (which then puts the elements I want locked at risk and results in rework to reselect and lock them down again) OR
  • I can leave everything unlocked all the time, which negates the feature all-together and frustrates/embarrasses users when they inadvertently click on and move an element which should be stationary 

Why not just wait to lock until the board is finished?

1. When creating complex boards, creators want protection from inadvertently moving frames and other elements. Especially when items are layered on top of one another, it’s relatively easy to grab a rogue element when locking in bulk. 
  2. When facilitating a session using a board, there are times I need to “lock on the fly” - especially for new content participants have added. Sometimes we need to go back later and unlock just one element. So same frustrations apply.