Сopy object on ipad (with apple pencil)

• 13 September 2020
  • 4 replies

So on computer, mouse track pad, option,drag is a quick way to copy a bunch of objects.  But, on iPad with finger or pencil there are no modifier keys.  Help says the is no special NAVIGATION mode.  But is there any way to get ctrl , cmd, option modes esp. with the pencil .  This would make the interactions on iPad consistent.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Marvin Greenberg - I don’t have much iPad experience, but would the iPad floating keyboard work here perhaps? If you had the smaller floating keyboard on screen, perhaps using the Shift + drag shortcut (the drag in this case being the pencil) to select a number of objects and then select the Copy option from selected object’s context menu and from there, I’m not sure if there is a way to simulate a right-click or Paste using the pencil?

Another link I found about the floating keyboard: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/371345/how-to-enable-the-ipad-quicktype-floating-keyboard-mini-keyboard

Sorry if this doesn’t help at all. Hopefully someone else will chime in here soon and educate us both!

Thanks @Robert Johnson.  I tried that,but the floating keyboard doesn’t have modifiers, just characters. I started the iPad in “sidecar” mode and the iPad has keys on the side for all modifiers, then.  And it looks nice, with the display mirrored on the iPad and bigger screen on Mac…  But 😦 Miro does not behave very well at all - different modes get “stuck”, like smart draw and I don’t remember if I was able to get “drag-copy” working, either…

And, you’d always need the iPad AND the Mac, although for me that will be common.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yikes! I hope someone else on this forum has a solution/workaround for you!

Userlevel 4

@Marvin Greenberg Hi Marvin! Thanks for the feedback, we have “quick gestures/shortcuts” in a backlog for the iPad app.
If you have any references of apps in which you like the easiness of copying/pasting, feel free to share it with us.