Answered

Mindmap with graphs, not just trees?

• 14 May 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

I’m new to Miro but having watched many videos and browsed community topics,  I think the current mindmaps feature is limited in that only trees can be represented.

Any plans to add support for general graph topologies? Graph DBs, like Neo4j, are growing in importance, for example ISO is standardizing the GQL (Graph Query Language), the first time in decades that a new language beyond SQL has been required. 

In graph data models, links can connect any pair of nodes (ie concepts in mind maps). In addition both nodes and links can be have a data type associated and have key-value pair attributes.

A version of Miro that supports such graph features - and that could interface with Graph DBs might go a long way toward enabling agile, collaborative UI for enterprise informatics. 

Neo4j has their own graph visualization platform and there are 3rd party platforms like kgbase.com but these not as sophisticated from an interaction point of view as Miro.

Any thoughts on feasibility? 

icon

Best answer by Marina 5 June 2020, 13:42

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Alan Calvitti,

Thank you for sharing this idea! I’m afraid we are not planning this functionality for our Mind Map.

Maybe you can achieve this functionality with the Miro Platform? The developer documentation is here. And we also have a Developer Forum for API/SDK-related discussions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Alan Calvitti  🙌  

Completely agree with you…  Its an intriguing universe of possibilities (and problems) -- and indeed, Miro has way more robust interface capabilities than other graph/node editors ( kumu, neo4j, go.js ) 

The good news is that read/write is completely approachable immediately given the capabilities of the SDK/API.   Just add the ETL logic in the middle of miro and another API and you’re good to go. 

We began tinkering with graph visualization using the SDK/API the past few months. 

Here’s a small video of the very first proof of concept. 

Here’s a shot of a test where we’re pulling in and laying out tagged article libraries from Pocket. Research / conceptual networks.  

Here we’re laying out the network structure inherent in your tag library on any board. 

We’re pulling from google sheets with a structure in reference to the D3.js network data structure. List of entities + List of links (source entity, target entity, strength)

Its nowhere near generalized to GQL as of yet.  

Would love to join arms in any projects to help get network, system, graph, and relational data into and out of Miro. 

I want help promote this idea, as I think it would be really powerful if done right!

Apps like MarginNote (iOS and macOS), Muse (for iPad), Tinderbox (for macOS), Curio (macOS), MindManager (Windows) and probably a few more all have versions of this feature. All of them with either a lacking in User interaction or powerful features and integrations.

It is really powerful for user attention to limit the canvas to show subset views, something similar to what Notion does with Pages too! Potentially could be harder to find things, I get that, but since links allow you to find things from multiple places I feel like that isn’t a huge problem. Also good search features make this easier too.

Would also be good with filters for objects that only show the things with those filters, similar to Queries in Graph Databases. So even if the graph is really complex, you can get a clean view that is understandable and good for User interaction attention!

I’m supporting too this request for feature, because ideas are definitely associated by connections, not necessarily by hierarchies. I’m working  at my first mind map with Miro and I’m already missing free connections between ideas.

I would also like to chime in that this feature would be AMAZING. I would love to see it in Miro. I really enjoy working with Neo4J and graph databases and always wished a full graph structure was available in organizational and mind mapping apps in a full-featured way.

Miro is already fantastic, I really hope they can take it even further ^_^

Cambridge Intelligence has a product called Keylines which might be of interest here:

I’ve become interested in Graphs for their role in designing UX and UI and domain modelling to answer more questions asked by users in day to day use.