Answered

Locking Inconsistencies

• 15 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all, New to Miro. New to boards. Have created several shapes, text boxes, and stickies that I locked (individually), but now need to unlock them and move. I see in the discussions that there isn’t an unlock multiple items at a time function. I have tried unlocking each object/text/shape individually, but they won’t unlock. It goes through the same icon where I click and hold to unlock. Looks like it’s unlocking, but the unlock icon is still on the object. And when I go to move, the items all stay put. I feel like I must be doing something incorrectly. Help!

Here’s the step by step again:

1. Created shapes, text, and stickies that I locked
  2. I go to each shape/text/sticky to unlock
  3. I try to move the objects into a new strategically placed frame, but they do not move and show as still locked

Thanks!

Elise

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 15 October 2020, 22:42

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Elise Hudson the locking on boards is both a blessing and a curse. Unfortunately, you have to unlock objects the same way you locked them. If you selected a bunch of objects and locked them, you need to unlock the same set of objects and cannot unlock just one object in that cluster. If you lock one at a time, you need to unlock one at a time, you cannot group multiple locked objects and unlock them.

My hope is to see Miro release layers, so you can create a bottom layer with frames or workspaces, lock that, and then create a top layer with stickies, dots, and other interactive pieces. This should be much less effort to lock down your content for a collaborative workshop. This is already on the wishlist with a ton of support from the community: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/layers-frames-within-frames-93

Layers would be awesome. 

Userlevel 1

Also @Robert Johnson, I agree - having layers would be a great help!

Userlevel 1

Ok, I had a co-worker help me out. I knew there was something that I was just missing. It wasn’t the lock function at all...inside the new Frame, the setting for “grid” was chosen instead of “freeform.” So every time I’d unlock and move the existing shapes, stickies, and text over to the frame, it would separate them and put the objects in a random place outside of the larger shape (locked or not). I selected “free form” and the shapes moved over just fine. I’m still learning Miro so I really appreciate the information everyone left on my post! Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Elise Hudson the locking on boards is both a blessing and a curse. Unfortunately, you have to unlock objects the same way you locked them. If you selected a bunch of objects and locked them, you need to unlock the same set of objects and cannot unlock just one object in that cluster. If you lock one at a time, you need to unlock one at a time, you cannot group multiple locked objects and unlock them.

My hope is to see Miro release layers, so you can create a bottom layer with frames or workspaces, lock that, and then create a top layer with stickies, dots, and other interactive pieces. This should be much less effort to lock down your content for a collaborative workshop. This is already on the wishlist with a ton of support from the community: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/layers-frames-within-frames-93

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Elise Hudson - You are correct that that there is currently no quick way to unlock a bunch of items. This is because they cannot be selected using bulk selecting methods, e.g., Shift + drag or Ctrl + A (see the Shortcuts and Hotkeys help article for more).

What happens when you single click/select a locked object? (make sure your cursor is an arrow and not the hand/grab style - press V or H to cycle between the two).

In this example, I select each of a locked and unlocked sticky and then I use Shift + drag to try to multi-select both objects - only the unlocked sticky is selected: